Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Sokar

Building A Plan

Lots of people here ask about how to build a plan for working out. Its all about the basics. And in my opinion is that you should work out 3 times a week at a minimum. Some I am sure will disagree with me but not everyone can get in the gym or has the time 5 days a week. Trust me, 3 times can get it done whether you want to lose fat or gain size. Its in how you train, how you eat and your determination level for success.

This particular plan is based on having a gym available.Exercise wise the basics now and forever will be bench press, deadlift and squats. These exercises will help you build a good base for any level of physical fitness.

There are varying approaches to this:

For example Arbite is doing all 3 in one day and does them several times a week. Many people train this way, in fact this is the exact routine used by the University of Houston power lifting team/club. I hope Arbite will chime in here with additional information and plan guidelines and ideas.

In my case I do one of the big 3 and add in accessory type exercises. For example:

Chest I will do a variation of bench press either flat or incline. Alternating between barbell(only when I have a spotter), smith machine or dumbell. I typically work this as my main exercise 8 sets including warm up. Normally 5-6 working sets. I then typically go to the one I didn't focus on, if I do incline as my main I then work flat for 4-5 sets. Normally going to some kind of flyes after either in the peck deck machine or cables. Or I will do Incline Press and then move to the cable machine and do sets at low, middle and high settings. Variety is key for growth for me and most people.

Legs wise I focus on squats so I do them 1st. I do not go low, I go to parallel as if I am sitting in a chair, that's it. Have a bad right knee and not wanting to tempt fate. I still get all the benefit I need for quads. Then I typically work accessories around that. Usually I go to leg press and then to leg extension and hamstring curls. But if my quads feel taxed enough or I want to work my hamstrings more I will go to hamstring curls, stiff legged deadlift or feet very close together on the leg press.

Back- Deadlift will sculpt the back without a doubt. Mostly accessory wise here I like to work rows with dumbells or cables. Lat pull down of course is always a staple exercise.

In the case of having only 3 days to work out you can add certain things in. Chest days you can add triceps if you like as they are the secondary muscle used in presses and chest related movements. You can do 2-3 exercises per chest and another 2-3 for triceps. Back days people tend to add biceps there as they are worked in various back movements. Legs you can kind of do solo, better to just focus on legs, if you add something make it totally unrelated like shoulders.

Ladies do not be afraid to do these exercises, they will not get you big and bulky.

1. You do not have the testosterone to make this happen naturally.

And..

2. You would need to eat a large amount of protein and carbs to even facilitate growth on that level.

Guys: The difference in this routine for gaining size and losing weight has 2 main factors. The weight/rep scheme you use and the diet plan you follow.

Please keep in mind this is a generalized version of what I do for myself and certain clients. When building a plan keep in mind what you want to be showing off. In the case of a Ryu or someone in a gi you have upper chest and arms prevalent. While those areas are key to that character it is about bringing the full package. In my case I currently doing a Hulk build and after that I want to do a Sacrificial Engineer from the opening of Prometheus. I have to be on target in all areas.

If requested I can do a similar write up on this thread for people without equipment or access to a gym. This would be based around what I do with some of my in home training clients.

If anyone else here, Arbite,Em1nAI or others have anything to offer please add your thoughts here. All views on building a plan are welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by Sokar : 12-20-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
For example Arbite is doing all 3 in one day and does them several times a week. Many people train this way, in fact this is the exact routine used by the University of Houston power lifting team/club. I hope Arbite will chime in here with additional information and plan guidelines and ideas.
I would also recommend to incorporate the OHP. Personally, I would say the standing barbell press is the vastly superior version of all the presses, be they seated/standing, dumbell or barbell. There are a number of reasons why I believe this.

You'll find those who bench heavy, without doing press work (of any form) will have a slight slouch in their posture, from overworking the anterior delts, without much work on the lateral or posterior sections. Not only can it look rather funny, but it can also cause issues and injuries as well as back soreness later on. The standing press also helps build the midsection, if you can OHP more than 50kilos with proper form, I guarantee you will have a strong core, especially obliques. In fact, squats, deadlifts and OHP will give you some serious abs, you won't have to do a situp if you are doing these lifts properly.

This is Konstantin Konstantinovs, basically all he does is deadlift. Possibly the greatest core of anyone alive. This man does very few weighted crunches, if any.

I choose to lift three times a week and do my these lifts on the same day rather than a split simply because I prefer it, I can get to the gym three times a week and work all my major muscle groups in a reasonably short time, and still show serious progress. I did a four day split for a while, but simply felt that I wasn't getting a good enough workout. My program however, is more focused toward strength, rather than bodybuilding, (though strength and size are really not exclusive). I also choose to incorporate olympic lifts (clean, Clean & Jerk, Snatch and their derivatives), though these are complicated and the chance of injuring yourself without proper form is high. However, they will get you seriously strong, seriously fast. They pretty much incorporate every major muscle group.

The body of a man who focuses on olympic lifts.

Over a week, I do 6, maybe 7 excercises. These include, Squat (3x a week), deadlift (1-2x), bench press (1-2x), OHP (1-2x), Power Clean/Clean and Jerk (1x), Weighted Chins (1x), and occasionally dumbell or pendlay rows.

An example for me would be:

Monday:

Squat:
2-3 warmup sets. Generally, 40%, 60%, then 80% of my working weight x5.
Then I'll do about 80% of the weight I did on friday, this is because on days that I deadlift, I will squat lighter so I'm a bit less tired for them, they use similar muscles.

Finally, 3 sets of 5(ish) at my working weight, with 2-4 minutes of rest between sets.

OHP:
Warmup same as squats.
Working weight, 3x5.

Deadlift:
This is a seriously draining lift, and is generally left until last.
I'll spend more time warming up on this, adding 20kg each set, while doing one less rep.
Eg.
40kg x5
60kg x4
80kg x3
100kg x2

Working weight only needs one set, and trust me, if your doing your deads right, you won't want to do more.

120(ish) x 5.

Occasionally I'll go for a one rep max, adding 5 kilos for singles until i physically can't lift anymore.

Last edited by Arbite : 12-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
Sokar

Arbite,

What are your rest periods like? Short or long?

I personally depending on day can be 30 seconds to 2-3 minutes on heavy days. If its deadlift heavy its can be 3-4 minutes.

On quick, medium weight days its 30 seconds to a minute.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Until I feel like I can go again, so anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote