Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #211
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

I'd only lip-synch to a studio-recorded song if it was ironic or fitting for my character to do so. For example, as Light I could do a skit that re-imagines the end of Light's reign as kira with him getting away, ryuk telling him in person that he will keep his promise to take his life when it's over, and in his last three minutes Light could sing Dust in the Wind by Kansas. (To signify that how in the end his attempt to change the world was futile.)

Even so, I'd tell most folks it's okay to use the original song since few people can sing stage-quality stuff.

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #212
Troncat

lol omg best post here xD thank you everyone!
Troncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #213
Kawaiichibiz

@Capsulecorp & @Crusader 8...
Thanks! I think I have a better idea of what would work when doing a lip sync! I think the kind of things I had in mind would be okay
Rock Lee (Naruto)
Feferi (Homestuck)
Kagura (Gintama)
Finn (Adventure Time)
Tumblr
Deviantart
Kawaiichibiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #214
Badkitty4960
Kitty Kat

Is it possible to win best in show if your a single cosplayer for your skit? Or is best in show reserved for groups only?
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #215
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkitty4960 View Post
Is it possible to win best in show if your a single cosplayer for your skit? Or is best in show reserved for groups only?
Best in Show is generally just that: the best performance and craftsmanship in the whole show. You can do a skit as a single cosplayer and win that, but if you just do a walk-on you won't. It really depends on the convention and their own guidelines.
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #216
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

No way. Best in Show is for whoever is best overall, usually best combined score between craftsmanship and performance.* Groups don't always win; skits don't always win! Best in Show at Geek-kon last year was a solo walk-on.

*I asterisk this because not all masquerades are run this way. I can't tell other people where to enter or where not to, but personally speaking? Any masquerade that doesn't factor BOTH workmanship and performance into their bests in class and best in show is cheating a lot of people out of the possibility of winning an award. You get more butthurt and less feelings of equality when a masquerade puts too much emphasis on one or the other, or puts too much emphasis on skits over walk-ons, etc. The best masquerades are well-balanced and fair to everyone no matter what skill division they are. They don't handicap singles, downgrade walk-ons as not being performance enough, and don't shove groups into their own category so they get shafted on all the good awards just because they're a group. Choose what masquerade to enter based on the fairness of their rules and how much that fairness appeals to you.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #217
Amethyst Nat

Wow this thread has been really helpful for my masquerade hope! And it's also now put a bit more pressure on my masquerade hopes...

I really like going in the masquerade, been it it a couple of times, and I generally do in character walk ons, with music.
The first time I was in a masquerade, I was Dark Woods Circus!Miku Hatsune. I surprisingly won best characterization! The I walked on Daughterof Evil!Rin Kagamine and that wnet well and audience seemed to like it enough, even it it didnt win anything.
But then one time I was normal Miku, and I attempted to lipsync and dance one of her songs, and it turned out to be a rather a disaster...

So yes, agreeing to all the Dos above of adding music and character and poses to your walkons, and to practice practice!

also, other advice! For backstage in the greenroom, DO bring nourishment if you can and if you're wearing a thin costume bring a sweater. You'll be there for a while. I remember last year at AX I ended up starving and the air conditioning was freezing. Also bring something to entertain yourself while you wait, but you can also use that time for some last minute practice!

also, DON'T despair if you don't win anything.What matters is that you went out there and gave it your all and had fun and the audience enjoyed it
Amethyst Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #218
Vault21

What about scene reenactments? Are those generally considered acceptable? I'd imagine you'd want to avoid something that requires a great deal of prior knowledge of the characters.
Vault21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #219
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Is something like this okay>>> Using an Opening theme (Mirai Niiki to be exact) to play out and show some of the signifigant points from the series.

~Working On/Non Con Currently~
Clawdeen Wolf Ver.Unannounced (Monster High)~20%
Scheherazade Al-Rahman Ver.Cheongsam (Trinity Blood)~0%

~2015 Lineup~

Misuzu Kamio (Air) ~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)~80%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #220
Amanita

I'll add a "Do" to the list- if you mess up, make it look like you did it on purpose.
At this weekend's con, I did a dance with lightsabers, and those grips got kind of slippery when my hands started to sweat. I ended up dropping one of them a few seconds before the end of the routine, but I didn't let it stop me, I performed one last flourish and saluted with the remaining saber as my music ended, and the end result was that most of the audience didn't notice! Those who did said that they didn't hold it against me, what mattered was I didn't let myself get flustered, and I kept on going.

Likewise, a Catwoman cosplayer at the same show fell on her butt doing a move, but she got right up and kept going pretty much as if nothing had happened. The audience forgave her too.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #221
Rirukuo

Hi!
I've read through almost all the pages, and there are some really good information here! But I was just wondering if I'm allowed to post a skit my cosplay group did a few months ago here and get some response on it? We're planning a new skit as we speak, so it would be nice to know if there are something we should work on(which I know there is) and if we are on the right track, or waaay out :P
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #222
Amanita

I'll add a "don't" to the list:

DON'T do skits based on internet memes! The thing with internet memes is that they have a VERY short shelf life before people start getting tired of them and they lose their edginess, relevance, whatever. Case in point- Grumpy Cat's been a thing for what now? A week? Within a couple of days I was SO FREAKING SICK of seeing that animal's face posted multiple times all over my facebook feed that finally I asked "Is anyone else over this already? Getting sick of seeing it all over my page!"
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #223
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

don'ts: anything with sauske or itachi or any "OC" akatsuki cosplays. everyone and thier brother has done thousands of skits involving these characters.
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #224
Identity-Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I'll add a "Do" to the list- if you mess up, make it look like you did it on purpose.
At this weekend's con, I did a dance with lightsabers, and those grips got kind of slippery when my hands started to sweat. I ended up dropping one of them a few seconds before the end of the routine, but I didn't let it stop me, I performed one last flourish and saluted with the remaining saber as my music ended, and the end result was that most of the audience didn't notice! Those who did said that they didn't hold it against me, what mattered was I didn't let myself get flustered, and I kept on going.

Likewise, a Catwoman cosplayer at the same show fell on her butt doing a move, but she got right up and kept going pretty much as if nothing had happened. The audience forgave her too.
I saw that and I was impressed by the fact that you didn't let it stop you and kept going.

The Catwoman, I didn't know that was a mistake. I thought that's what she meant to do.
Identity-Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #225
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkitty4960 View Post
It depends on the style of convention. It's always wise to research the competition you are entering.

From experience I've seen both types of entries win at various venues. For example:

At Fan Expo, Canada's largest multi-genre expo, (91,000 attendees), over all the years of masquerade solo entries have won 50% of the Best In Shows.

I've never run the numbers for Anime North, but I know that Anime North's masquerade has been won by Solo's, Duos, and Groups over the years. I have won in all these group types before I was the director.

Likewise I have often seen solo competitors win at Costume-Cons

People are often intimidated by entering solo, but a lone costume presented in the correct way can be very striking and have great presence.

Big group entries can be impressive in size but remember a group is only as strongest as it weakest link.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote