Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Actually compared to the previous years 2010-2011 the aisles where a bit larger thankfully.
But yes more room for the short 4 hours of it would have been nice for the rush.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 12-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
rair
Rair

I always found that the Nominoichi worked well in the hotel over the road. Any idea why they changed that? I know it was out of the way, but at least then only people who actually wanted to go would go and you wouldn't have every person who was in the dealers room rush out to hit the Nominoichi.

Seriously though, I couldn't even get close to the tables to see what was for sale because there were just way too many people crammed into such a small area. I prefer having it at the separate hotel.

As for the dealers room photography thing I still think people should be allowed to take photos in there. I know you block the way and I know that can be annoying, but I've never really had that much of an issue trying to see things in the dealer room and even moving around has never been difficult (then again I survived FanEx 2010 so anything after that is roomy...). Plus I know if I didn't take photos in the dealers room there are some costumes I wouldn't get a photo of and I think that'd suck more than taking a bit of extra time to get to a table to buys some stuff. That's just my opinion.
rair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #18
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

A map in the booklet would be nice, I think there was one last year. Better signage, and more organization are my only suggestions....

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
Kagomekai

I also I couldn't really see things in the nominichi I had to take my boyfriend's word that there wasn't anything on the table that I would be interested in. (He's over 6ft so he can see over most of the people and see what was on the tables.) He managed to see some things he wanted and bought but we had to squeeze through people and I felt like I was in the way when I was right against the table when I could get through.(Which wasn't often)
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Last years map on the back was for the photoshoot locations but it a nice double duty map for sure.
There are hotel maps for rooms as well every year.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
Shannynn

How about more photoshoot locations? There is so much space that can be used... There are many nice spots around the Sheraton and the Crowne Plaza that are practically being wasted, for instance. Some of the current locations are terrible. Some are jammed right next to the road, have bad lighting for photography, or make certain areas overcrowded and hard to walk (or breathe) in. Sure, people can complain about walking, but it's not like there isn't a shuttle bus. If the information is widely available somehow (like, somewhere in the program or pocket book), people will come. As a bonus, it would mean that only those who really wanted to go to the photoshoot would go, and there wouldn't be random people passing by and joining the crowd. There's more to AN than those few spots around the TCC and Doubletree.

Last edited by Shannynn : 12-15-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Shannynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannynn View Post
How about more photoshoot locations? There is so much space that can be used... There are many nice spots around the Sheraton and the Crowne Plaza that are practically being wasted, for instance. Some of the current locations are terrible. Some are jammed right next to the road, have bad lighting for photography, or make certain areas overcrowded and hard to walk (or breathe) in. Sure, people can complain about walking, but it's not like there isn't a shuttle bus. If the information is widely available somehow (like, somewhere in the program or pocket book), people will come. As a bonus, it would mean that only those who really wanted to go to the photoshoot would go, and there wouldn't be random people passing by and joining the crowd. There's more to AN than those few spots around the TCC and Doubletree.
I'm fairly certain that if you suggested what those locations were, to the lovely people that keep that map up to date, they could likely add them to the list.

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #23
AJ the Collector
Collector

Better handling of the pre-reg line. I know the AN team is working on this, I just felt it should be said.

Honestly, a better guest lineup. I don't care if this sounds selfish, I feel like our suggestions aren't even being paid attention to when we have 3/4 of a guest list filled with people no one's heard of or asked for or people who have little to no actual relevance to what the con is about. Nothing is keeping the guest relations people from getting some of these popular, frequently requested guests they've supposedly been trying to get for years but conveniently never do--let's face it, they cannot possibly all be too busy or uninterested or difficult to contact.

Continued control over the bass levels at the outdoor dance. It was handled well this year, but it could be done a bit better, especially since it was more obnoxious and painful than ever on Friday. When people complain of pain in their ears and are feeling the beat rattle their chest from 50 feet away, IT'S TOO DAMN MUCH.

Less insane pricing and repetition in the Dealers Room. Quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing, say, 20 tables of the same creepy dakimakura, $50 pricetags on tiny figurines, Pocky priced at anything over $2, etc.

Being able to register a unique alias to put on my badge. I just really don't like putting my full name down on it.

More photoshoot locations, and more space reserved for the Homestuck shoots. There's no avoiding it, the Homestuck shoots at any given con in the past two years have been more massive than any shoots in cosplay history. Naturally, we're gonna need much more space in 2013.

Just one recognizable band in attendance. It'd be a nice change of pace from unknown Japanese indie bands and Toronto-based ones who are anything but Japanese no matter how hard they may try.

On a minor personal note, more cosplayers representing lesser-appreciated great shows and games.
FrostCon 2015

Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Equius Zahhak {99%} for Murder Mysterystuck {default}, FC15 {humanized} and AN15 {default}
Totakeke {90%} for AN15 and CB15
L {75%} for AN15
The Signless {50%} for FX15
Sable Able {50%} for DTAC15

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.

Last edited by AJ the Collector : 12-18-2012 at 04:38 AM.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

^ I do try but it's a personal thing and AN can't control what people wear. lol

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the Collector View Post

On a minor personal note, more cosplayers representing lesser-appreciated great shows and games.
That's why I'm holding a Western photoshoot!

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #26
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia

Quote:
Honestly, a better guest lineup. I don't care if this sounds selfish, I feel like our suggestions aren't even being paid attention to when we have 3/4 of a guest list filled with people no one's heard of or asked for or people who have little to no actual relevance to what the con is about. Nothing is keeping the guest relations people from getting some of these popular, frequently requested guests they've supposedly been trying to get for years but conveniently never do--let's face it, they cannot possibly all be too busy or uninterested or difficult to contact.
Maybe if you emailed Anime North the list after this year's con they'd be more than willing to look into the guests people are actually interested in? 0 Just sayin' they can't know if no one tells them.

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Chibi Lenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #27
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Lenne View Post
Maybe if you emailed Anime North the list after this year's con they'd be more than willing to look into the guests people are actually interested in? 0 Just sayin' they can't know if no one tells them.
The last 2 years there's been a thread about who people want to see that's been sent to the staff by a date they listed as being the date they start looking into guests... last year we DID get Brina and Tatum off that list...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #28
Shannynn

The thing is about the guest suggestions thread is that most of the suggestions are... unrealistic. People name huge-name seiyuu and bands who would be extremely expensive and, not to mention, those kinds of people are very busy.
Shannynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #29
CirqueDuFolie

I personally had no issues with the lines at AN this past year. :') It was a long wait on the Thursday, but I'm quite used to waiting in lines so it didn't bother me much. On Friday and the rest of the weekend our group had no problems getting in within a decent amount of time.

As far as guests go, I'd prefer they got better music guests. Maybe instead of three mediocre groups, one good one?
As far as VAs go, it would be nice to get some of the people requested. Getting Tatum and Brina this year was nice, though.

I also understand the need to put your name on your badge, but honestly, I'm running into more and more people at cons I'd rather not have my name. Even a first name and last initial would be better.

A bigger space for the Nominoichi would be nice. Or just better control over how many attendees get in at once. I found it difficult to even get to tables this year it was so jam packed.

Photoshoots aren't a big deal for me as it's easy to just go off with a few people on our own to get some nice photos somewhere, but some nicer locations would be good. Honestly, in front of the DT doors isn't what I would've had in mind for a good Kuroshitsuji shoot location. -Shrugs-

As far as photos in the dealers room go, I personally don't mind. If someone asks to take a picture of my I'll usually just try and step to the side out of people's way.
I'm also really starting to get turned off by the prices in the dealer's room. The only thing I buy in there anymore is manga and a plushie or two. It's not something we have any control over but it still irkes me, as I'm sure it does everyone else.

{Anime North 2014}
Merida - 95%
MeiRin - 100%
Goddess Madoka - 95%
Surprise Cosplay - 95%

{2015}
Koumei Ren - 0%
Fem!Koujaku - 0%
Yamuraiha - 0%
Muron Alexius - 0%

CirqueDuFolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
genkimami

Quote:
I agree with this statement. I feel especially when it comes to cosplay guests, the lineup at Anime North isn't very good, at least for the past 2 years. The other con I go to is half the size of Anime North and always manages to get great cosplay guests. Good cosplay guests suggestions are always made in the cos.com thread that's sent to AN, so I find it very disappointing.
genkimami is offline   Reply With Quote