Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 11-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
peacelovepandas

What to expect at a con?

OKAY. SO. Next year, I will be crossplaying my first con. I have crossplayed before outside of cons; i.e. things like Halloween and school functions. However, this will be my first crossplay at a con. Any clue what to expect?

P.S. It's Zenkaikon in PA; I'm going as Jack Frost (Simple, yes,I know, but still, I don't want people to know about the double d's I have under my hoodie.)
peacelovepandas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovepandas View Post
OKAY. SO. Next year, I will be crossplaying my first con. I have crossplayed before outside of cons; i.e. things like Halloween and school functions. However, this will be my first crossplay at a con. Any clue what to expect?

P.S. It's Zenkaikon in PA; I'm going as Jack Frost (Simple, yes,I know, but still, I don't want people to know about the double d's I have under my hoodie.)
BEWARE of FANGIRLS. I think that's all i can think of from my end
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Haha I feel like crossplay is much better received at cons than during Halloween or at school, so don't expect as many shocked reactions.

From personal experience, this is what I've learned to expect:
-If you pass well: "Ohmygod THAT'S A GIRL?!?" and people looking surprised when you talk (if you have a distinctly feminine voice)
-Requests for hugs
-Unexpected glomp attempts. Dodge them, or don't. It's totally up to you, but try to make sure no one gets hurt.
-LOTS of picture requests! Everybody likes a pretty boy and Jack Frost is bound to be a popular character.
-A lot of attention from fangirls.
-No guarantee of less attention from creepers, male or female.

Basically it's not too different from regular cosplay aside from some people's initial shock once they find out you're not the gender of the character you're cosplaying. I wouldn't worry too much about it Bring friends and have fun!
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Libis

My only crossplaying experience was good until my makeup wore off and I began looking like a girl again. (I have really big eyes if I don't hide them with makeup.) Then a creeper showed up trying to "win" me from my boyfriend and asking for a fight with him repeatedly. From what we could tell, before that everyone thought I was a 12-13 year old boy and just talked video games and Doctor Who with me.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

my first time at a convention was in my Alice madness returns costume. I had almost no hair, no wig as I blew all my money on the costume and ticket for the con, and no makeup skills. Still people complimented me despite the fact I was a really sorry looking Alice. It was my first time out being my true self in public for many years though. I have been out as myself before but got chased back into the closet by bigots. I am a MtF transgender. raised Female for 12 years then forced back to male I have struggled my entire life with my true identity. Conventions allowed me to be free. Now I just got this Lolita outfit and its been7 months since that sad convention I did. My confidence is better but I am not sure I can pull off a Lolita. I want to because my heart is Victorian. it always has been if you seen my steampunk outfit I had at my first steampunk gala in Toronto a few days ago which was my first time out since May. I got a ride to the convention in May but I had to take public transit back and that was a horrible experience for me but I made it home. I think now I would not have it as bad as I am learning how to look a little better. This picture I took today as my first pink Lolita outfit came in today and I was so happy with it. I don't know if I can pull it off at a con but i am going to try.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Andy_Curls
Andrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice MacLeod View Post
my first time at a convention was in my Alice madness returns costume. I had almost no hair, no wig as I blew all my money on the costume and ticket for the con, and no makeup skills. Still people complimented me despite the fact I was a really sorry looking Alice. It was my first time out being my true self in public for many years though. I have been out as myself before but got chased back into the closet by bigots. I am a MtF transgender. raised Female for 12 years then forced back to male I have struggled my entire life with my true identity. Conventions allowed me to be free. Now I just got this Lolita outfit and its been7 months since that sad convention I did. My confidence is better but I am not sure I can pull off a Lolita. I want to because my heart is Victorian. it always has been if you seen my steampunk outfit I had at my first steampunk gala in Toronto a few days ago which was my first time out since May. I got a ride to the convention in May but I had to take public transit back and that was a horrible experience for me but I made it home. I think now I would not have it as bad as I am learning how to look a little better. This picture I took today as my first pink Lolita outfit came in today and I was so happy with it. I don't know if I can pull it off at a con but i am going to try.
So, I had the same question here.. youe see, this is the very first time I'm crossplaying, my character is Yue from Card Captor Sakura.. I'm a very girly girl and this character is sirius and the opposite side of me, so I don't know if I can make it.. but all you said makes me feel like my question is silly
Alice MacLeod, I totally think you should use your pink Lolita outfit for a con as you are so happy with it.. I can image how hard the experience you had in the public transport on May was , but I really admire you because your confidence is better now. There are many ways for you to look like a Lolita so I'm pretty sure you are going to do an excellent job!
So if you need any suggestion or something like that, you can ask me and I hope I can be helpful.
Andy_Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

The hardest part in my life for me was being raised female by a religious family for religious reasons to get even with the other side of the family. Although I have always been female anyhow in mind and spirit the damage done was significant when dad forced me back to male. I dressed very much like a Lolita the first 12 years. Even my school uniform was a blue jumper dress, white tights and Mary Jane shoes. Not like the uniforms you see mostly nowadays for sure. I have struggled but now that I am away from everyone that knew the old me I can finally become the real me I was meant to be. It is a tough battle especially going out in public which I still have not done on a 24/7 basis yet but I hope to soon. The last con experience really helped bolster my confidence despite how awful I looked.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote