Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
IenzoRenaNipah

Question Lights?

I've been wanting to make my Hatsune Miku cosplay to stand out at cons, so I decided to add lights to it. And I have no freaking clue how to do it! So, does anybody know any good techniques to put lights on skirts and arm warmers? If it has to be battery powered, would it be replaceable? And if it's LED, where can the switch (if it needs one) be and would it have to be plugged in?

Sorry for the stupid question; I'm new to putting lights into clothing! >.<
IenzoRenaNipah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

go post this under props you might get some more help. lights are hard to install if you dont have any experience in wiring or circuitry. However, esp at this time of year they have led battery lit strands at michaels with small leds. i would put them underneath colored fabric to light them up.
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
djlemma

You can do almost anything you want, it's just a matter of time, effort, and money.

Depending on how you want to go about it, you'll probably either use LED's or EL wire/tape/film. Both are small enough to fit in costumes and can run off batteries. You can do simple things or complicated things. If you want it to flash and animate like this girl's cosplay, then it's going to take some extra effort... but obviously, it can be done!
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
IenzoRenaNipah

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemma View Post
You can do almost anything you want, it's just a matter of time, effort, and money.

Depending on how you want to go about it, you'll probably either use LED's or EL wire/tape/film. Both are small enough to fit in costumes and can run off batteries. You can do simple things or complicated things. If you want it to flash and animate like this girl's cosplay, then it's going to take some extra effort... but obviously, it can be done!
Ah, thank you SO much! I'm willing to do a lot to make a Miku cosplay that pops out at a con. My family is filled with electricians, so they can help. I will put a lot of effort into it! *But probably going to get electrocuted somehow, some way*
Unread 12-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
IenzoRenaNipah

Quote:

Thanks! I'm doing everything I can to make my Miku stand out so people don't go, "Another Miku, really?". Hopefully I won't eletrocute myself. But I'll find a way!
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
djlemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenzoRenaNipah View Post
Thanks! I'm doing everything I can to make my Miku stand out so people don't go, "Another Miku, really?". Hopefully I won't eletrocute myself. But I'll find a way!
Well your post made me want to do a genderbent Miku cosplay for myself, just to play with lights.

Also, you might be building at just the right time- next week, there will probably be big sales on all sorts of christmas lights, and they do make blinking battery operated versions. You could get a few kits (one for the skirt, and one for each arm, maybe) and end up with all sorts of flashyness.
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
IenzoRenaNipah

Quote:
Well your post made me want to do a genderbent Miku cosplay for myself, just to play with lights.

Also, you might be building at just the right time- next week, there will probably be big sales on all sorts of christmas lights, and they do make blinking battery operated versions. You could get a few kits (one for the skirt, and one for each arm, maybe) and end up with all sorts of flashyness.
That would be Mikuo, sir! With the sale on the lights, I can buy a lot and make Rin, Len, and Miku! (And maybe Flandre Scarlet's wings.)
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
djlemma

Quote:
That would be Mikuo, sir! With the sale on the lights, I can buy a lot and make Rin, Len, and Miku! (And maybe Flandre Scarlet's wings.)
Sorry, I know nearly nothing about vocaloids. I've just seen a few sweet Miku cosplays and I love playing with lights. And now you're going to make me look up all this other stuff. I'm never going to get any work done.
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
IenzoRenaNipah

Quote:
Sorry, I know nearly nothing about vocaloids. I've just seen a few sweet Miku cosplays and I love playing with lights. And now you're going to make me look up all this other stuff. I'm never going to get any work done.
Once you get into Vocaloid, you'll never get out. It's like a bottomless pit with leeks and synthesized voices.
Unread 12-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
djlemma

Quote:
Once you get into Vocaloid, you'll never get out. It's like a bottomless pit with leeks and synthesized voices.
Hah! I sent you a message since this conversation has little to do with cosplay construction. This sounds like a fun bottomless pit!