Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Locations

Unread 12-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
g00dapple

Seattle?

I'm thinking about doing some cosplay photo shoots outside of cons and I was wondering if anyone knew of any great places in or around Seattle. I know the UW library has a beautiful staircase, but other than that, I'm a little stumped.

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

There are quite a few parks you can hit up in Seattle (or well, the surrounding area). It also depends on what kind of area you want..Depending on the character, some places may look odd for a picture..Like, let's use me for example. I could go to a park in my AC Cloud cosplay, but Cloud wouldn't be in the see-saw area..He may be more by a pond or a lot of trees..

What character or series (if going in a group) are you going as? And what kind of things can you see in the background (picturing in your head of course) of a picture they are in? If you can answer these 2, I can give you specific parks or locations (I'm born and rasied in king county so that might tell ya somethin lol)
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Here are some places that I want to have photoshoots in eventually, hopefully they'll also work out for you:

Pike Place Market. At 6AM and after about 8PM it's all dark and empty and beautiful. A couple of pictures~

7th and Stewart US Courthouse. Outside there's this really cool sculpture/statue in the middle of a grassy circle, surrounded by small circular steps and a bunch of trees. At night they light it up and the whole area kind of glows. Behind this circular area, closer to the building itself, are these waterways on various stair levels with irises and other flowers and shrubs growing around them in the summer. I've never been inside, but apparently it's also really nice in there!

Pioneer Square Bus Tunnel. There's these amazing clocks and a balcony and I occasionally daydream about photoshooting here. o: Some pictures I found via Google. And the escalator coming up from the tunnel is amazing~ I was already halfway to the top when I took that picture. It seriously goes on forever.

Some of these pictures I found on Google and some are taken with my crappy 3.2MP cameraphone (sorry for the quality, it's usually all I have on me). Hopefully you can get a feel for the places I listed anyway. (:

Bonus: Just for funsies, it might be cool to have a photoshoot in Seattle Public Library's Red Floor. A couple pictures for you. And a neat escalator. If you Google Image Search for "Seattle Public Library" you can see some of the cool shots people have taken utilizing the building's lattice design.

All of these places are located in downtown Seattle, so if you plan on doing during-con photoshoots, these are viable options. Pike Place, the Courthouse, and the Library are all within 10 or 15 minutes walking distance from the Convention Center (depending on how quickly you walk). The Bus Tunnel is a bit farther out (but not by much), but since the tunnel system runs right by the Convention Center, you could technically bus over there very quickly.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14

Last edited by Xanarcah : 12-13-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
g00dapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanarcah View Post
Here are some places that I want to have photoshoots in eventually, hopefully they'll also work out for you:

Pike Place Market. At 6AM and after about 8PM it's all dark and empty and beautiful. A couple of pictures~

7th and Stewart US Courthouse. Outside there's this really cool sculpture/statue in the middle of a grassy circle, surrounded by small circular steps and a bunch of trees. At night they light it up and the whole area kind of glows. Behind this circular area, closer to the building itself, are these waterways on various stair levels with irises and other flowers and shrubs growing around them in the summer. I've never been inside, but apparently it's also really nice in there!

Pioneer Square Bus Tunnel. There's these amazing clocks and a balcony and I occasionally daydream about photoshooting here. o: Some pictures I found via Google. And the escalator coming up from the tunnel is amazing~ I was already halfway to the top when I took that picture. It seriously goes on forever.

Some of these pictures I found on Google and some are taken with my crappy 3.2MP cameraphone (sorry for the quality, it's usually all I have on me). Hopefully you can get a feel for the places I listed anyway. (:

Bonus: Just for funsies, it might be cool to have a photoshoot in Seattle Public Library's Red Floor. A couple pictures for you. And a neat escalator. If you Google Image Search for "Seattle Public Library" you can see some of the cool shots people have taken utilizing the building's lattice design.

All of these places are located in downtown Seattle, so if you plan on doing during-con photoshoots, these are viable options. Pike Place, the Courthouse, and the Library are all within 10 or 15 minutes walking distance from the Convention Center (depending on how quickly you walk). The Bus Tunnel is a bit farther out (but not by much), but since the tunnel system runs right by the Convention Center, you could technically bus over there very quickly.
Hey thanks! Yeah, I live on Capitol Hill so I forget how awesome pioneer square is..haha. I love that little court yard by the Court House! Your pics have given me some inspiration :P

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00dapple View Post
Hey thanks! Yeah, I live on Capitol Hill so I forget how awesome pioneer square is..haha. I love that little court yard by the Court House! Your pics have given me some inspiration :P
Eeeeee, you live on Capitol Hill? I live on First Hill! Like 3 blocks from Swedish. We are so close~ : D

Some of the other bus tunnels are probably cool inside too, but I spend most of my time in the Pioneer Square one and it grew on me. Glad the pictures were inspiring. (:
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
tereshkova2001

The Ballard Locks have some neat wave sculptures that might make good backgrounds, as well as a pretty little park with a rose garden and some grassy hills.
Gasworks Park on Lake Washington is fantastic for old abandoned machinery. You're not supposed to climb on it, but ...
The Space Needle makes a great backdrop, and is very iconic. The EMP museum right under it gives some weird and interesting shapes and colors for backdrops, too. You can even go inside and shoot with their exhibits.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

Hop a ferry!

I'm not very familiar with Seattle itself but I was raised in Kitsap County, which is only an hour away by ferry. hm, the ferry itself could make for some interesting scenery too, now that I think about it.

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00dapple View Post
I'm thinking about doing some cosplay photo shoots outside of cons and I was wondering if anyone knew of any great places in or around Seattle. I know the UW library has a beautiful staircase, but other than that, I'm a little stumped.
Damnit now I'm pissed that I missed the cutoff for applications this year on the Sakura-con forums!!
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

I was on a bus heading to Ballard the other day and I looked out the window and I saw a little bridge! It's in the Lake Union Park, and it looks like it's big enough to take some nice photos around and small enough that people don't get dwarfed standing on it.

More pictures~
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
StuckOnAsgard
You Were Made To Be Ruled

This is awesome...Thanks guys. Will be sure to keep these places in mind when I do my Loki shoot.
StuckOnAsgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #11
FPSExpo

To give you a little behind the scene tour of seattle i will let you in on a few nice places, but you will want to make sure to keep an eye out for strange people in some of these places. Seeing as you are in the city with cosplay and nice photo gear. you never know when you could run into the wrong person. I love seattle and have lived there for a while, but i have also run across a few jerks too.

My fave place for photos is the Graffiti Free Wall in the Sodo dist. on S Stacy st and Occidental ave S behind the warehouse near the train tracks. it is a little hard to find but if you google maps that cross street and look to the East there is a warehouse that you can go behind to find it.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...QMy-eJBPAzIHyQ

If you have ever been to sakuracon you know outside the back of the convention center you have freeway park.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ay_Park_24.jpg
Also if you follow the NE side of the park out the back you will find some steps leading down into an ally that eventually leads you under the park and to a little bit of a under bridge area that is interesting.

If you like steam punk look no further than Gas Works Park. This place has some interesting structures that would provide the perfict back drop. Not only does it have quite a few interesting places to shoot at, but it is also along the water. I enjoy going there during the winter when it snows (well the years it decides to snow in seattle that is...)
http://webpages.scu.edu/ftp/jcoakley...s/gasworks.jpg

If your interested in the gum wall it is right under pike place! this is kinda a high population area so it would be a little odd trying to get a photo shoot there.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...m+Wall+004.jpg

Want a nice beach with a city view. Check out Alki Beach in west seattle!
http://localism.com/system/s3_bucket...2807122209.jpg

Back to a better part of town. Volunteer park water tower! This place is amazing. its an old rustic looking castle thing. I know it is a water tower, but it looks so much like a turret that should be on the side of a castle. The inside has a long staircase that winds around and up to this crazy looking room with benches, chain link fence, steel cover for the water tower and slits in the walls as the windows. you have to see it if you havent been there before.
http://barefootted.com/uploaded_imag...041-758035.JPG
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HqZILVcSAY...WaterTower.jpg

Another odd place is Marsh island! get a look at the wetlands under a freeway that are turned into a park!
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/38023251.jpg

West Point light house. This place is a must for any one! hell i would like to see any adventurer in front of this place. Like Edward and alphonse elric would be great in a place like this!
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4024/4...4a99b0c0_z.jpg

Now if you are an adventurous photographer and dont mind a little tresspassing there are a few other places that i know of, but i will not list them on here. if you want more pm me and we can talk on email or something!
FPSExpo is offline   Reply With Quote