Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

MtF Makeup: Tips from you makeup gurus?

See, I really want to get this down, but in most cases, I just can't. I mean, I do a decent job sometimes, but still trying to get this going. I have recently tried last night following a MtF makeup tutorial, and it didn't come out half bad, HOWEVER, something still seems off, and I think it is because my face shape is alot different than the person doing the video.

What I am looking for is, if anyone has any tips for MY personal face, that would be fantastic. I can keep looking up youtube videos, but I feel like I need a little added something to make my face itself more feminine. Mainly, I feel my face shape and possibly my nose might be my big thing. Eyes possibly too. I don't know. Tips please?

Without makeup:

http://i.imgur.com/C03J8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EmA0V.jpg

With makeup:

http://imgur.com/NRs1E <- I like this one kinda. Playful pic, but I enjoyed it. Stinks I have no plain faceshot and I had to make an expression to look kinda decent. s:

http://i.imgur.com/n4yKA.jpg?1 <- This one, I know, the makeup is awful, but it was a tryout, and I have a nasty time doing the eyes. (Well, mainly liner, because I have this bad twitching habit when applying)

http://i.imgur.com/1Vrbe.jpg?2 <- Still seems wrong somewhere. Bleh.

As of right now, I know:

- Do the eyebrows. I saw a trick using a gluestick, so once I get a gluestick, I will give this a go.
- Lighting in my room is awful. I cannot help that. :/

So yeah..... how do I go about adding more feminine features to my, not so feminine face? ): I can pull off a body, but my face is my flaw here. :/

Thanks to anyone who can help, and all who will help. Please, no trolling. Thank you.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
g00dapple

Just from looking at the pics, I would say the eyebrows need to be a little thinner (but I see you are working on that) and maybe your eyelashes need to be a little fuller. To me, eyelashes enhance the feminine look. Have you tried fake top lashes? That might give them a little boost.

Hope I helped a little

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00dapple View Post
Just from looking at the pics, I would say the eyebrows need to be a little thinner (but I see you are working on that) and maybe your eyelashes need to be a little fuller. To me, eyelashes enhance the feminine look. Have you tried fake top lashes? That might give them a little boost.

Hope I helped a little

Thank you. Actually, I have some false eyelashes I have had for a while now. I just.... lost the glue, and when I HAD the glue, I was afraid on how I could get it off, since I didn't think about getting something to remove the glue, lol. I will keep that in mind, thank you. .... and yep, I know about the brows, lol. As for right now, still thinking on a crossplay for next year's con, so planning the feminine looks would be best whilethinking up a crossplay plan. s:

Yes you did. Any bit helps.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Unread 12-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
lucygray

Hm... Eyeliner alongside your top eyelid wouldn't hurt with pulling them out a bit. And for face shape, there's this thing we call contouring. Contouring is where you apply a shade 3 tones darker than your natural color along side certain areas to make your face thinner/pointier. The areas you apply to are the cheekbones, the sides of your nose (with a highlighting shade on your bridge) and on your jaw, along your hairline, with a few highlights here and there. Reference pic.

You're doing incredibly well, though! Make sure you fill in your eyebrows with maybe an eyeliner pencil (dark brown) to make your brow look more formed and refined.
lucygray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Apple Adams
Crossplay Diva!

Contouring and highlighting are going to be your best friends, trust me on this. :P These techniques help completely reshape your face to give it a softer, feminine look (I have a separate thread here that goes a little more into detail about that). What I always recommend to men who are interested in cross dressing is to watch a few drag queen highlighting and contouring tutorials on Youtube. Once you've seen the extremes, you can gauge for yourself what looks natural and what's too much.

~In Progress~
Erica Anderson - Catherine
Isabella - Paradise Kiss

My Tumblr
My deviantART
My Facebook
Apple Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Adams View Post
Contouring and highlighting are going to be your best friends, trust me on this. :P These techniques help completely reshape your face to give it a softer, feminine look (I have a separate thread here that goes a little more into detail about that). What I always recommend to men who are interested in cross dressing is to watch a few drag queen highlighting and contouring tutorials on Youtube. Once you've seen the extremes, you can gauge for yourself what looks natural and what's too much.

Thanks for the tips and link. .... I'll take a look at that hopefully soon after Xmas where I can give it another shot and am not working/doing family stuff. Yeah, I keep hearing about contouring from eeeeeeeeeeeveryone, so I definitely got to get this down. D:.... I appreciate it again. Thanks so much.

Unread 12-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

The eyebrow thing looks fantastic afar, but up close, it looks yuck. .-.;.... Anywho, progress here:

http://imgur.com/mHuEa

^ Cloaked brow.

http://imgur.com/BL5Zn

^ Doodled in brow.

Kind of waiting for my moisturizers, concealers and stuff to come in. I ordered a bunch of stuff from ELF, and once they get here, I am going to go crazy. As for right now, I am pleasantly surprised.

Unread 12-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
Apple Adams
Crossplay Diva!

It's looking great so far! You mastered the eyebrow cloaking very quickly, kudos. You're right, it does look a little odd up close, but contouring and highlighting with eye shadow helps that tremendously. Plus, as you can see, it doesn't show up in photos!

I can't wait to see the full look, once it's all put together. ^_^

~In Progress~
Erica Anderson - Catherine
Isabella - Paradise Kiss

My Tumblr
My deviantART
My Facebook
Apple Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #9
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

I'll try and see what I can get for a final product when I get those and my days off. Sure enough, though I am scheduled for 13/15 days of the first part of January, alot of those days will be canceled on me, so I will have alot of fun time to myself.

In the end, I have as far as I recall on order from Eyes/Lips/Face:

- False Eyelashes (Experimented with some, God, have a hard hard HARD time applying them. They come with an applicator too, so I hope this applicator helps)
- Concealers of Porcelain, Sand, and Beige.
- Highlighter
- Clear Moisture Stick
- Studio Mineral Infused Face Primer
- Neutrogena Deep Clean Invigorating Foaming Scrub (Amazon)
and a few other things. Mainly a lipstick, a brush, brush shampoo.... Yep, it's December. It's splurge time.

Apple, do you happen to have any tips on how to apply eyeliner and eyebrows without lid twitching? I twitch my eyes too much when I do that. A friend of mine tells me holding or tugging the lid is bad for the eye so I shouldn't do that. Any tips here?

A little thing about last night after that picture additionally:

Anywho, a true story about that pic too. Last night, I shown it to one of my female friends, and it opened up a chat that made both of us really happy. See, there is 6 of us in our tight-knit group, however, though three of us are male, and three of us are female, she is the ONLY one in the group into makeup and all of that. She told me last night that she even joined forums to talk to people and her threads get ignored. God, the stuff we talked about, I don't think she expected of me.... epilators, BB cream, and all of that, I have alot of stuff. Told her I am just now starting to use it and plan for mastery by Anime Boston 2013. She loved how the eyebrows came out and another picture I shown her, she said I fit the outfit I was wearing. She even recommended I get my eyebrows threaded. xD....

In the end, this picture made a terrific and happy night for us both. I really hope to progress more and more with it. I appreciate all the tips so far. Never felt as happy as I did last night. Gave me confidence in myself, and her, being lonely and always depressed, it made her happy too. 2X a win.

Last edited by Larcenciel : 12-28-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Update.

Sideshot:
http://i.imgur.com/ANuif.jpg

Face:
http://i.imgur.com/zwzdd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kVQyR.jpg

^ For some reason, I dunno why, but in these shots, the highlight didn't look blended. I looked at myself in the mirror and all looked fine.

Anywho, when I look at myself upclose, I look like I got into a fight with a chalkboard or something. Is there anything that is recommended to finish the face off to look shiny or natural over dusty like the contouring makes me look?... or am I doing something wrong?

In my own point looking at this, I think I might be using wrong colors for myself. I am pretty sure I went too dark on some places, too light others. And around the eyes, I was messing around with my eyes after, so I probably wiped that away. That's probably why you clearly see the void of makeup around my eyes.

Last edited by Larcenciel : 01-03-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
hello-pear

I think you need something a little lighter and a little closer to your skin. it looks kind of grey-ish to me, but it could be the lighting in the picture.
Use the very tip of your mascara brush to apply a light coat to your bottom lashes, and if you want use some eyeliner on the bottom lid.

I think you should really work on your lips more. They look thin and not really feminine, I think they should be a little fuller.
hello-pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Could you possibly list everything that you're using?
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Thanks folks. As for right now, I am using:

Canyon Classics Eyeshadow for the contour by Physician's Formula as recommended, though, I think I should be using a brown for shade over the darkest color, because as said, it makes my face look rather ashy. :/

A gluestick + powder for the eyebrows like instructed elsewhere.

Maybelline Porcelain Ivory foundation.

I've tried using an elf highlighter stick in some pinkish tint which sounded like it was better for me, but it hardly shown on me.

White cream makeup that was kind of recommended by mistyeyes on youtube in place of a highlighter, which is what kind of looks really bizarre in the pictures.

I should have my next two days off again. Thursday, I am getting fitted for contacts so I can try to get some of those. I have clip on bangs coming in the mail, so hopefully I can fool around with those when I get those too. As for now, got to try whatever I can work with. Maybe tomorrow, I can get a picture of what I have.

As for the lower eye, I definitely know I need to learn there, but I am still super rusty on the top, and am trying to get that going first. ... As for lips, yeah, I gotta try. I dunno what I will do about those. I know people have tutorials on adding pout and plump and such to lips. Guess bit by bit? s:

Last edited by Larcenciel : 01-08-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Your face looks rather blotchy, and I don't think the highlighter looks natural. You may need to prep your skin with something, moisturizer or face primer. Concealer works well as a highlight, just use a something one to two shades lighter.
Your brows need something else. Powder or eyebrow pens, using strokes rather than drawing them in, will make them look natural.
As for lips, try exfoliating them before applying lip color, as it will go on more smoothly.

Keep us updated!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #15
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Yeah, I know. :/..... but you know, I recently since the last time I tried, remembered I bought a concealer palette a while back that I haven't really tried to use. Maybe I can try and get use of it now. I DO have moisturizer, but I probably used it wrong. s:..... and yeah, the brows, I dunno what to do there. No matter what I do, they look bad because i have my real ones concealed. Lastly, the lips, I don't have any exfoliator or whatever. s: ... I have seen some in the stores but maybe I can work something out.

Will do. Bit by bit, so go easy on me if something looks off.