Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
Tarah-Rex

Daenerys Targaryen Cosplay

Hi all!

This is my Daenerys Targaryen cosplay. I originally threw it together for Halloween but decided I wanted to take it a step further. I had so much fun with this shoot after the fear of "Death by Fire" passed, hahahahahaha! Let me know what you think!

Tarah-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Do you have a reference image of the original outfit?

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
Do you have a reference image of the original outfit?
HEY! THat would help now wouldn't it!? I'm a smart cookie...not. Heres a reference picture for you C: I guess I forgot because I inspired parts of the costume based off of the books rather than the show, such as her white pelt and purple eyes. I also incorporated various bits and pieces on her from different episodes (such as her necklace). Unfortunately I don't have a good picture of her legs/boots.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
candyintherain

It looks AMAZING!! Wow! Fantastic job!
The only thing I can think of is that the bottom part of the costume doesn't look quite as rough/weathered as the rest. Otherwise, it's perfect!
candyintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyintherain View Post
It looks AMAZING!! Wow! Fantastic job!
The only thing I can think of is that the bottom part of the costume doesn't look quite as rough/weathered as the rest. Otherwise, it's perfect!
Thank you!!

And yes, the weathering is the only thing I'm not happy with. I was planning on weathering it too, but we had been waiting for a nice enough day to do the shoot and I gave up on that until the spring, so this all happened really last minute and I just didn't have the time to do it. I'm gonna be making her wedding dress and do a shoot with that in the Spring/summer though. Super stoked about it!!
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Amazing job. ^_^ The only difference I can see is that your top is a bit darker than hers but that's being really picky. It's really awesome. ^_^ Good job.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
Kibalover100
Super Kiba!

I love it! And the dog in the last picture is absolutely adorable. I think you did a fantastic job =)
Kibalover100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
Amazing job. ^_^ The only difference I can see is that your top is a bit darker than hers but that's being really picky. It's really awesome. ^_^ Good job.
Thanks so much! And I agree, though I think some of it is just the lighting of the photos. I think the only way I could perfectly match her shirt would be by using actual burber material which is pretty much out of the question purely because of the itch factor hahahaha!! Also, a side note. After looking at several stills of her shirt, I noticed that the strap around her neck wasnt actually braided, it was more like chain made from threads and such, so I looked up tifferent types of knots and braids and found a Monkey Chain. To make the strapping I had to use 12, 20 foot long pieces of yarn twisted into three ropes, then braided into the Monkey chain and sewn onto the shirt. YAY FOR NEUROTIC ACCURACY!
Unread 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibalover100 View Post
I love it! And the dog in the last picture is absolutely adorable. I think you did a fantastic job =)
Yay! Thank you! Lol that dog is a fantastic animal, love him to bits. We actually didn't think this shoot worked out very well originally, so on a whim at the end we were like "Lets try a shot with Koda (the dogs name)". We only got the one shot and it was perfect
Unread 12-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Lightane
a curious fool

You did great on the costume, there's only one thing that I always tell people. You should dirty it up and weather it so it looks like you've been riding horses all day with the Khalasar. A good example of this is during the filming of the LOTR movies Viggo Mortensen would actually roll around in the dirt to make his outfit look grimy and worn.
Lightane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightane View Post
You did great on the costume, there's only one thing that I always tell people. You should dirty it up and weather it so it looks like you've been riding horses all day with the Khalasar. A good example of this is during the filming of the LOTR movies Viggo Mortensen would actually roll around in the dirt to make his outfit look grimy and worn.
Thank you very much! I definitely agree with you and regret not weathering the costume more prior to this shoot. I will be doing more to it if I go to any cons in the future
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
LiebeSelbstmord
Charming Devil Cosplay

Oh...my....goodness.... This is absolutely gorgeous! I'm such a geek when it comes to the Song of Ice and Fire series! I love the fact that you leaned more towards the books than the show in terms of accuracy. That's one thing that made me mad about the show is the fact that they skimped on a lot of important details. Daenerys is my fiance's favorite character and he squealed like a little girl when I showed him these pictures. He gives his fanboy seal of approval lol! Other than the weathering previously mentioned, it looks fantastic! ^_^

Aki Con 2014:
Mikasa Ackerman - Attack on Titan (90%)
Holo - Spice & Wolf (90%)
Sai - Naruto Shippuden (50%)
Sasuke Uchiha - Naruto Shippuden (100%)

Sakura Con 2015:
Sai - Naruto Shippuden (50%)
Sasuke Uchiha - Naruto Shippuden (100%)
Rosette - Chrono Crusade (0%)
Kouga - Inuyasha (30%)
LiebeSelbstmord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Ilafatyu
That guy

Mm, fire...

Seriously, though, your costume is amazing and you should be proud. I love everything from the braids in your hair to the material used for the skirt. Only thing that's missing is the gloves, unless you left those out by choice?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiebeSelbstmord View Post
Oh...my....goodness.... This is absolutely gorgeous! I'm such a geek when it comes to the Song of Ice and Fire series! I love the fact that you leaned more towards the books than the show in terms of accuracy. That's one thing that made me mad about the show is the fact that they skimped on a lot of important details. Daenerys is my fiance's favorite character and he squealed like a little girl when I showed him these pictures. He gives his fanboy seal of approval lol! Other than the weathering previously mentioned, it looks fantastic! ^_^
Oh gosh, thank you so much <3
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Mm, fire...

Seriously, though, your costume is amazing and you should be proud. I love everything from the braids in your hair to the material used for the skirt. Only thing that's missing is the gloves, unless you left those out by choice?
Awe thank you!! And yes I actually did leave the gloves out on purpose. After watching the show several times over for details, she only really wears the gloves/wraps when she's riding. I do have a part 2 of this shoot coming up involving a horse that I was saving the wraps for, but I'm switching the shoot up a bit and making another version of Daenerys for it instead. You can expect to see it hopefully right before the upcoming Season 3 starts