Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 12-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
kulmaczs

Zero Suit Samus Help?

Hello~
I've never made my own cosplay before... I always commission. However, I feel like I'll never learn unless I just give it a go!

I want to have a Zero Suit Samus cosplay done for March... I was going to buy this as the base (removing the mask, of course).

What I'm wondering is, what kind of materials would I need to paint on the black lines, blue pieces, and red details? I was going to maybe sew on pieces for the red details, but I'm not sure yet...... Will I need a sewing machine?

I feel like such a noob! Haha~
Here's a ref for Samus: Here

Any and all help would be appreciated!
kulmaczs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Libis

Do you know how to sew? What is your skill level? Sewing things to stretchy material is a pain in the butt. I would start with making a duct tape dummy of yourself to put the material on so that you can put things on the zentai without trying to adjust for stretch. You might start looking at fabric paints and see if your local fabric shop has stretch material in the correct colors (and stretches. On Catwoman I made the mistake of sewing on stretch material that didn't stretch as much as the zentai suit fabric did. My nose suffered as a result as I got quite the rub mark there.)
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
kulmaczs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libis View Post
Do you know how to sew? What is your skill level? Sewing things to stretchy material is a pain in the butt. I would start with making a duct tape dummy of yourself to put the material on so that you can put things on the zentai without trying to adjust for stretch. You might start looking at fabric paints and see if your local fabric shop has stretch material in the correct colors (and stretches. On Catwoman I made the mistake of sewing on stretch material that didn't stretch as much as the zentai suit fabric did. My nose suffered as a result as I got quite the rub mark there.)
Zero sewing skill :/
I found some fabric paint that I'm hoping will work:
This.
With something stretchy like this, would I be able to paint on larger areas? For example, the dark blue portions of her Zero Suit on the arms and legs.
kulmaczs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

I wouldn't recommend the zentai suit. It's a bit too see through. You can clearly see the model's undergartments in the picture.
You could easily take black fabric paint to apply the lines though. However, you'll need to be wearing it and have a friend apply it for you or else you won't know if the lines are exact to Samus' suit.
The red symbol could probably be applied with fabric paint as well but I would recommend drawing the design, making it a pattern, and sewing it.

Not sure about what to do about the actual suit. I would love to cosplay Zero Suit Samus myself but I can never decide on the material. I would say maybe pvc but it would probably be impossible to find it in that color.

Maybe test out the zentai suit and see how it works. If you don't like it, try a different material.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyValentine View Post
Maybe test out the zentai suit and see how it works. If you don't like it, try a different material.
Another thing to consider is that sometimes zentai suits come already having been painted to get a certain color or shade, which unfortunately probably makes the act of painting again more difficult.

One strength of this suit is that it doesn't look like this is going to be a painted one, but don't quote me on that or anything. The tutorials for zentai painting that I've found thus far have pretty much all recommended going with a white base and then painting what you want, for the described reason.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Envia

Hi! I am actually doing the same cosplay. I bought a zentai suit this one actually (http://www.zentai-zentai.com/ice-blu...ducts-265.html) and it worked really well. You can't see my underwear or my bra and I was wearing black and purple undergarments. I did notice that since I did not get it tailored to my size and I guessed when it came I needed to tailor it to myself. It worked perfectly for what I wanted though. My only issue was I tried to use the fabric markers from Sharpie and well that is a TON of work and I had an angry boyfriend who tried to draw the lines and that didn't go well!! I had no idea what kind of paint to use as I was afraid of it cracking and flaking off. So if anyone has any ideas on what kind of paint to use that would be fantastic but since you don't have any sewing skills I would get the zentai suit. Also I was not sure if getting the suit without the hood had it come with the collar so I ordered it with a detached hood. Which was nice because when I needed to test something on the fabric I had something to use without using the actual suit.

Here is me in my suit after I had to alter it.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...47806582_n.jpg

Conventions for 2013
Otakon, Baltimore, MD

Future Cosplays
Lightning *Final Fantasy XIII*
Sylvanas Windrunner *World of Warcraft*
Envia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
suitfan

Hi, i found there is the costume in a shop, you can go to check it.
http://www.zentaifan.com/metroid-zer...uit-p-722.html
suitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
poetictragedy

I'm attempting the same cosplay. I ordered the same suit Envia did, and I was looking to paint the details on. I was going to wear the suit and have a friend paint, but then I got thinking: if my helper used chalk or something to outline the details while I wear the suit, then I could paint it myself afterward. Is that plausible?

I have no idea. I'm new to cosplaying and have basically zero sewing ability. So any help would be appreciated.
poetictragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetictragedy View Post
I'm attempting the same cosplay. I ordered the same suit Envia did, and I was looking to paint the details on. I was going to wear the suit and have a friend paint, but then I got thinking: if my helper used chalk or something to outline the details while I wear the suit, then I could paint it myself afterward. Is that plausible?
Maybe. Depends on the paint.

If you paint the suit while it's off, then when you put the suit on, as the suit stretches the paint might not stretch, and will instead crack and look bad.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
poetictragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Maybe. Depends on the paint.

If you paint the suit while it's off, then when you put the suit on, as the suit stretches the paint might not stretch, and will instead crack and look bad.
I was thinking I could stuff the suit with plastic bags or something while I paint it, so it's a little stretched out. I'm just worried it won't be enough, haha.
poetictragedy is offline   Reply With Quote