Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Tokyo Area Cosplay Store Guide (2013 Update)

Summer 2013 Update

This is a guide/list of cosplay stores I’ve found in the greater Tokyo area over the past 8 years. Figured it would be of help to others, especially those new to the area or just visiting.

Note to us guys: 75% of cosplayers are women. 90% of all cosplay shoppers are women. Thus; Cospaly stores cater to women. Cospa and ACOS however do offer men's sizes for just about every costume they have. They just may not be on display is all (Especially on Otome Road). It's good to ask/check the catalog which will be available at the store or online.

Akihabara

Gee!Store Akihabara (Cospa) - New Costumes/Wigs, Custom Orders, Accessories Y20,000~Y50,000
There is a Cospatio store located on the 5th floor of Gee!Store Akihabara. Cospatio hands down offers the highest quality “off the rack” costumes on the market. Be warned, they are not cheap. The store has a wig section and offers many accessories, cosmetics, and wig styling products.

K-Books Cosplay Akihabara
Closed.

ACOS Satellite Store Akihabara - New Costumes/Wigs. Y3,000~Y6,000
In the back of the first floor of Animate on the main road Chuo-dori is a small ACOS store. Although small, it has quite a good number of costumes and wigs crammed in there.

Jupiter – New and Used Costumes/Wigs/Uniforms. Y3,000~Y30,000
Located on the 6th Floor of a building on the main road Chuo-dori, this is an excellent shop if you are looking for a discounted used costume. Aside from good quality used cospaly costumes, Jupiter also carries reproduction WWII uniforms, used school uniforms, school bags, and work uniforms.

Mitsubado Cosplay Shop - Used Costumes Y6,000~Y11,000
Located on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a building on one of Akihabara’s back streets. This is another great place to look for quality used anime/game costumes. The store also has used cosplay shoes, swords, and some crafted props.

Bukiya Arms & Armor – New Costumes/armor/weapons Y10,000~Y100,000
This store focuses on reproduction weapons, armor and historical clothing. Chainmail, samurai armor, European medieval clothing, Edo period helmets, early Meiji period uniforms, and a vast array of swords. The store is on the 4th floor and not easily found. Look for a sign outside that’s for a cosplay photo studio on the 2nd floor.

Assist Wig Japan Akihabara - Wigs Y4,000~Y8,000
A nice selection of cosplay wigs. There is a computer so you can look up the character you want on Cure and the staff will help you choose the right base wig. They do not style wigs or take custom orders, but they have a relationship with Fuwat hair salon listed below.

Fuwat - Hair Salon
This is a professional hair salon that will cut and style your wig for you.

Cosmate Plus – New Costumes Y8,000~Y22,000
Near Bukiya, this store is 1/3 anime and game cosplay. 1/3 school uniforms/gym clothes. 1/3 assorted costumes such as maid, race queen... you see where this is going. But the anime costumes are decent quality and the selection of school uniforms is rather good.

Ikebukuro

ACOS Ikebukuro – New Costumes/Wigs/Accessories/Props. Y6,000~Y20,000
This store has moved to the old Animate building on Otome Road. A true “one stop cosplay shop”. The 1st and 2nd floors have a nice selection of above average costumes (ask to see the catalog book for more costumes/sizes). The 3rd floor is wigs, accessories, and props. There is a very large selection of pre-styled character wigs, wig styling supplies, makeup, eyeglasses, shoes, swords, guns, parasols, even a fake violin with case.

K-Books Ikebukuro Cosplay Hall – New Costumes/Wigs/Accessories/Props. Y5,000~Y15,000
In a new very much improved location at the far end of Otome Road, this store has an excellent selection of costumes and some cheap pre-styled wigs as well. The store also carries some accessories such as eyeglasses, shoes, a few assorted props, plus a small goth/loli section.

Wig Shop Maple Ikebukuro – New Costumes/Wigs/Accessories. Wigs Y4,000~Y6,000
Most cosplayers in Japan are familiar with Maple wigs. The store has a good selection and offers touch ups and some styling services. The store also offers some costumes (Y6,000~Y10,000) and props such as swords. Of note, this is and the Maple store in Nippori are the few cosplay stores I’ve found that sell quality costume facial hair.

Assist Wig Japan Ikebukuro – New Wigs/Accessories. Y4,000~8,000
Assist Wig just opened a new store right off Otome Road in February '12. Mostly un-styled wigs with a few pre-styled. There is a shoe section in the back corner along with some swords/props.

Mandarake Ikebukuro – Used Costumes, New Wigs. Y4,000~Y8,000
This Mandarake store specializes in doujinshi for women, but has a small cosplay section near the entrance with used costumes and some wigs.

Nakano Broadway
Nakano Broadway is actually a mall and predates Akihabara as anime/manga central by about 30 years. It just doesn’t get the international hype. The 2nd through the 4th floor is a haven for collectors in general. FYI the 1st floor escalator takes you straight to the 3rd floor, not the 2nd.

Mandarake Cosplay Hall – New costumes/wigs/accessories Y3,000~Y15,000
Located on the 2nd floor, this store is everything the Mandarake cosplay store in Akihabara should be. A good selection of new costumes and wigs including some pre-styled wigs. There are also a few accessories in the back along with some Goth-loli stuff.

Cosplay Shop Candy-One – New Costumes/Wigs/Accessories Y10,000~Y15,000
Located on the 2nd floor, this store squeezes a lot of costumes into a small place. The store actually takes custom orders and offers good sales on its website. There are also some wigs and accessories such as color contacts and fake gems for costumes/props. FYI, Candy-One has a sister store on the 3rd floor that specializes in Goth-loli.

Campus Shop Cord – New School Uniforms/Accessories Y10,000~Y30,000
Located on the 3rd floor, this store only sells high quality school uniforms and has a good number of men’s uniforms in addition to women’s. The store has a large selection of almost everything school uniform related, but does not sell sailor style or gakuran uniforms.

Shibuya

Cospatio Shibuya (Cospa) – New Costumes/Wigs, Custom Orders, Accessories. Y20,000~Y50,000
Similar to the Akihabara store, only I like this store a little better. This is the store that processes all of Cospa’s custom orders for Tokyo so if you would like a custom made Cospa costume, order here. Be warned, a custom order is very very expensive.

Mandarake Shibuya – New wigs, Used Costumes. Y3,000~Y10,000
Located in a basement on Center Gai, there are a few racks of used costumes that are very reasonably priced. I’ve actually seen a Cospa costume for about Y15,000 (usually Y35,000) for sale there. There are also pre-styled wigs in cases around the store.

Shinjuku

ACOS Satellite Shinjuku – New Costumes/Wigs/Accessories/Props Y6,000~Y11,000
Located less than 5 minutes from the East/Kabukichou exit of JR Shinjuku station. On the the 3rd floor of Animate, there is an ACOS section with a number of costumes and some wigs. There is a good number of accessories and above average selection of swords and other prop weapons.

Cosmint - New Costumes/Wigs/Accessories/Custom Orders
Somewhere in Shinjuku... See map. I've never been there, but it seems to be mostly high-quality custom order stuff.

Nippori

Wig Shop Maple Nippori – New Wigs/Costumes Y4,000~Y8,000
Located to the right of Nippori Station’s south exit is, oddly enough, a Maple Wig store. The store has a good selection of wigs for its size and some costumes. Like the Ikebukuro store, this store also carries good fake mustaches and beards. Of special note is the bargain wig section. This seems to be where Maple sells its overstocked and old wigs at great prices (Y1,000~Y2,000).

Event Calendar:
Megacon - Florida, USA: March
Bay Area Renaissance Festival - Florida, USA: March
Sun n' Fun International Fly-In and Expo - Florida, USA: April
Comic Market 86 - Tokyo, Japan: August

Last edited by Tsumanne : 09-28-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Update Summer 2013
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
mixaka
Granter of wishes

Thanks for the guide! Gonna need to check a few of these places out!
mixaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
-Edo-

Nice Tsumanne!
-Edo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
johantwo

wow! thanks for the info. yay!
johantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Hikaru_Claire
NinjaPandaMasterSummoner

Tsumanne, wonderful~ I wonder if you know of any clubs/open groups/organizations that help people make their own cosplay? Like a sewing association or something? Is there any links on Mixi?
Hikaru_Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Tsumanne
History Nerd

I've never actually used mixi and I'm about to ditch facebook lol. I usually just to stick to Cure, but that doesn't really facilitate groups and such.

CelestialShadow might know of some though. She lives in Tokyo and makes all of her costumes 100% from scratch. She does an amazing job and takes commissions too. She'd know the best fabric and supply stores in the area.

For armor and heavy duty props get with Goldy. He holds classes at a workshop in Akihabara. Goldy is one of the top armor/mech cosplayers in the country. Couldn't ask for a better teacher.
Goldy's Webpage

Event Calendar:

Last edited by Tsumanne : 07-13-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #7
Ebrithil

Are there any shops in Akihabara that cater either specifically to or atleast carry a wide array of male cosplay items. I went to Akihabara once and walked around a little and it seemed most the shops were all female oriented. Any help would be amazing.
Ebrithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
Tsumanne
History Nerd

About 75% of all cosplayers are women so stores cater to that demographic. Cospa and ACOS usually carry a reasonable amount of male costumes and Jupiter has a few racks of male costumes (you just might have to search for them).

ACOS in Ikebukuro usually has a large selection of men's costumes on hand. Also, check Cospa and Acos's catalogs. They might have the male costume you are looking for, just not on display at the store.

Edit: Oh and check out K-Books Ikebukuro. They carry a lot of male costumes on hand now that I think about it.

Event Calendar:

Last edited by Tsumanne : 12-19-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Unread 12-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
thiago_ar

Thank you very much for the information Tsumanne!!!
I'm sure this topic will help a lot of people...
I just have one question... Would you happen to know if any of these places or if there is any other that sells super sentai/ power rangers costumes?
I have a friend who is in Japan and she will try to bring one for me but unfortunately she doesn't have a clue where to find it...
I thank you in advance.
thiago_ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Sadly none of the stores I'm familiar with sell Super Sentai costumes. I double checked a few online catalogs to be sure. But, I would still recommend scoping out some of the Mandarake stores. I've seen quite a bit of Super Sentai/Kamen Rider accessories and such at Mandarake stores before.

I know I've seen Sentai costumes for sale on Milanoo, raukten.co.jp, amazon.co.jp, and yahoo.co.jp stores. Might be able to get international shipping. Milanoo is definitely international.

Actually, Tenshi0080 does Sentai cosplay. Check with him. He lives near Tokyo and might have some suggestions.

Event Calendar:
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
thiago_ar

Thank you very much for the information Tsumanne!!
I messaged Tenshi0080 and I'll wait for his reply...
In the mean time I'll ask my friend to look in the Mandarake store.
Once again thanks for the great help!!!
thiago_ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Tenshi0080
SuperSentaiHero

Thiago I will reply, and I went Acos in Ikebukuro and the male selection is actually small and horrible.....
Hyakkiyakou wo buttagiru!! Slash the crime wave!" Hitotsu! Hidou na Akuji o Nikumi! One! Hating the Inhuman Evil! Seigi wa Katsu! Justice Will Win! Hyakkiyakou wa Buttagiru! Jigoku no Banken! Deka Masutā! Cutting down hundreds of evil doers! Hell's Guard Dog! Deka Master!"
Tenshi0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Tsumanne
History Nerd

I was at ACOS Ikebukuro three days ago (it has moved to floors 1-3 of the old Otome Road Animate) and about 1/3 of the costumes were male. The male costumes on the racks were in women's sizes, but men's sizes were available. You just have to ask. There are two picture catalogs sitting out on the 2nd floor full of costume sizing information and show costumes that are available, but not on display. Even most female character costumes were available in men's sizes.

Just when 75% of all cosplayers are women and about 90% of all cosplay store costumers are women you predominantly get women's sizes on display regardless of character gender. Cospatio (the expensive place, go figure) is about the only place that regularly carries men's sizes on floor display and even there I've had to have them request stuff in from other stores.

I need to go through and recheck all the store status's and check out a new store before updating the list anyway (like how ACOS Ikebukuro moved). I'll pay close attention to male/female size ratio when I do my checks and note those stores that have a higher number of men's sizes out on display.

Event Calendar:
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
newcosplayer1

new crossplayer/trap

Which cosplay stores in Japan has crossplay/trap/josobu/crossdressing outfits including underwear?
Do they take free measurements and make proper adjustments to fit?
Which store staff can speak and understand English? If not, is there an app on smart phone or tablet that can dual translate including scanned documents/cards and take pics on signs?

Which store(s) in Japan does makeup say boy to girl?

Which store(s) can ship to US? Is there a measurement chart for guys and gals (in & cm)?

I am able to fit in US girl size 16 and my US shoe size is 10.5. What are the measurements (in & cm) for skirt, shoulder length & width, chest/bust, hips, waist, neck, hands/gloves, leg length/tights/stocking?
newcosplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Cospatio and ACOS offer most women's costumes in men's sizing. Underwear sold separately.

Cospatio, Candy1, and Cosmint take custom orders, but I don't recommend it. Custom stuff is incredibly expensive. Getting with a cosplayer that does commissions is your best bet.

They speak whatever they remember from high school... So little to none. There are apps, I've just never used them. I live in the stone ages with my trusty 8 year old flip phone.

As for which store(s) can ship to US... None. For sale in Japan only. Use Google. China and the Philippines are your friend.

For measurements I just Google a size chart or use a tape measure. You can also go to an alterations store with a form and have them measure you in metric.

For shoes, I wear a US 10.5 and usually fit a Japanese 28.5 or 29 depending on the brand. Your life finding shoes in Japan will be an adventure, most sizes stop at 27.5 even in major shoe chains.

Event Calendar:

Last edited by Tsumanne : 09-28-2013 at 09:42 AM.