Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.80 average.
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #1111
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
I think I just picked a terrible year to go, and now I'm sad. :|
You mean this year?

I'm hoping they're holding back on some big surprise. though competition is stiffening with Japan Expo entering the fray.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #1112
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
You mean this year?

I'm hoping they're holding back on some big surprise. though competition is stiffening with Japan Expo entering the fray.
If by this year, you mean 2012, then yes. (I think in school years...so that's already last year XD)

I'm just kind of upset that BotB wasn't held last year, masquerade was disorganized, no Nokia, etc.
And of course it all happens the one year I decide to fly across the country for it.

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #1113
Access

I don't remember where I heard it first, but I've heard it a lot since; that 'the standard' for the main AX guests of honor is A-class talent from Japan that have never performed in the US before.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #1114
Freight

That can be true, but the last couple of years, at least on cosplay.com, a lot of the Japanese guests receive the response of, "... Who?"
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #1115
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Who wants a job with the SPJA?
http://www.spja.org/about-us/open-positions/
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con - Done and tired
Comikaze Expo - Saturday only
Long Beach Comic Con - Didn't know this con was in September, did not attend
Pacific Media Expo - Did not attend
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #1116
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
No offense to the existing staff that for the most part do a good job of running things before, during and after...but I'd rather stick to attending
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #1117
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
No offense to the existing staff either, but I wouldn't want to take orders from a boss whose name is Marc Perez. I've seen how he treated his people within the SPJA in the past. (Especially with the abrupt firing of Jason Pier from the AX Live show.) Some people may have the long endurance to work with Marc. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. (I also don't have the patience to cover for him if he doesn't show up again at AX, like he did in 2012.)

I wouldn't mind working with Kris to help make things better for AX attendees, but unfortunately, he got booted out of the SPJA.

*PostNote: As Access has pointed out, those positions are also unpaid volunteer positions. These positions are not a quick 4 day volunteer position when AX is in full swing. This means that you get to work for Marc Perez on a very long term basis for FREE.

Last edited by Hakaider : 12-20-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #1118
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
Those are volunteer positions, 'job' implies payment.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7758501_dif...1c3-501c6.html

"a 501(c)(3) spends any revenue it receives to provide a service such as education or health care to the public, while a 501(c)(6) does not pay out money to its owners but uses its revenue to support for profit businesses."

http://www.spja.org/about-us/

In short, volunteering for a 501(c)(6) is like volunteering for the benefit of someone else. Volunteering for a 501(c)(3) is like volunteering for the benefit of the community, public, or mankind in general.

Most organizations behind conventions are 501(c)(3), SPJA is a 501(c)(6).
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #1119
Freight

I wouldn't. I have had offers from a few staffers to join, but I just can't see myself doing well in the current environment.
Unread 12-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #1120
Factor

For those of you who are considering staffing AX, I'd suggest to volunteer your time at other conventions. For AX, I'd say enjoy being an attendee.

I am definitely going to Japan Expo USA. Not sure yet if I'll staff or just cover it as press.

(side note: it's been awhile since I popped my head in here. Sup all)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #1121
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

..I'll stay a attende.
Anastasia-First outfit- 0%
Secret cosplay! - 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #1122
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
For those of you who are considering staffing AX, I'd suggest to volunteer your time at other conventions. For AX, I'd say enjoy being an attendee.

I am definitely going to Japan Expo USA. Not sure yet if I'll staff or just cover it as press.

(side note: it's been awhile since I popped my head in here. Sup all)

Welcome back Factor/Jason!

I think that would be cool, if you cover it as press.

Last edited by Hakaider : 12-26-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #1123
choxie-chan
Uchuu KITAAAAA!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
If by this year, you mean 2012, then yes. (I think in school years...so that's already last year XD)

I'm just kind of upset that BotB wasn't held last year, masquerade was disorganized, no Nokia, etc.
And of course it all happens the one year I decide to fly across the country for it.
I agree as well :\ AX with BotB and AX Idol were SOO GOOD <3 for me 2011 was so much better than 2012....I bought my AX 2013 4-day badge but I still have no idea if I'll ever go though....I guess 2012 got me doubting heyuh TvT. If I see that its gonna be good then I'll freggin go! xD if not then....there goes ze cash.

I'm so happy to hear that BoTB's back again~!! :3

AX 2014
Day 1: Struttin on fairy kei
Day 2: Mariah - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Day 3: Chen - Touhou
Day 4: Mariah - JJBA:SC
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #1124
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

I enjoy AX as an Attendee for the Concerts, The GOH, The Venue, The Cosplayers and such.
Few Other Staff members have tried to talk me into staffing AX over the past 2 years i have declined both times because i want to just go have fun and not make it a Job. I already staff 4 other cons I don't need to staff another lol.

I am waiting to see who AX brings for Musical GOH this year! it will be interesting to see... I think there will be some Competition this year among 3 Con's i Won't name them. Depending on how money is I might make my way to Northern Cali for one of them! is it Cheaper to Fly or Drive?
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #1125
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I think there will be some Competition this year among 3 Con's i Won't name them.
You mean Japan Expo & AM2?

Japan Expo is the one that's coming from Europe, and they had 208,00 attendees at their event in Paris, France last year. (Their numbers are even bigger than the San Diego Comic Con.)

If you look at Japan Expo's Japanese Guest of Honor list, it's been very impressive so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Expo

Japan Expo & AX aren't on the same dates or month, so they aren't competing for the same day & time slots. (Plus, Japan Expo will be in Northern California.) Japan Expo will also be held more than month after AX in August 2013.

However, Japan Expo and AM2 ARE scheduled for the same dates in 2013.

AM2 will held at the Anaheim Convention Center from August 23-25, 2013.

Japan Expo will be held at the Santa Clara Convention Center from August 23-25, 2013.

Quote:
Depending on how money is I might make my way to Northern Cali for one of them! is it Cheaper to Fly or Drive?
It's going to depend on lot of things, and there are advantages & disadvantages in both flying & driving. If you drive, you'll be able to bring a lot of cosplay stuff & bring back home a lot of anime & manga merchandise. Plus, you don't have to go through the hassle of TSA airport security.

But gas isn't cheap, and it is a very long drive.

If you fly, you can get there in a hour or less. Sometimes, the air fares would drop so low that it ends up being cheaper than driving. (This doesn't always happen though.)

However, if you do fly, keep in mind that, space is very limited, and most of the airlines do charge for each check in luggage. (Unless you fly Southwest.) This means space is at a premium for cosplaying & merchandise.

Last edited by Hakaider : 01-01-2013 at 11:10 PM.