Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 12-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #31
AJ the Collector
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannynn View Post
The thing is about the guest suggestions thread is that most of the suggestions are... unrealistic.
Uh, no, not really. This past year, we actually avoided naming off any overly expensive people and stuck with just popular ones, didn't even name any bands because that's handled by the J-Rock North division. Next to no one on the list was someone they couldn't realistically invite {some of whom staff claimed they've been wanting for years, like Veronica Taylor and Crispin Freeman, and some of whom have explicitly expressed that they'd love to be invited, like Laura Bailey}, and yet we only got TWO people we asked for--two awesome people I hope they invite again, but still. And after this year's con, I went ahead and submitted a list of 25 commonly-asked-for people we've yet to see--and never got any sort of reply from the staff.

It's funny, they can't get popular voice actors with nothing else on their plate for that time of year, but they sure can get expensive-seeming just-barely-relevent writers, foreign pro wrestlers for Cosplay Wrestling, people we've seen at every single AN for years, and someone who has the very unique distinction of once attending AN as their first con years ago.
End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014
DTAC 2014

Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Equius Zahhak {100%!} for FX14, End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014: Zoostuck Twostuck and AN15
Totakeke {90%} for DTAC14
L {70%} for AN15
Karkat Vantas {70%}
Sable Able {50%} for CB15
Makoto Naegi {50%}
Penelope Mouse - Sly 3 design {40%}
Zidane Tribal {30%}

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.

Last edited by AJ the Collector : 12-19-2012 at 01:06 PM.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #32
jukebox
role models > supermodels

I'm honestly not even sure exactly what prevents the con from bringing in some of the guests under demand? Maybe they don't budget for it? But there are other younger, fan-run cons in the GTA that haven't had a problem getting guests that meet fan interest and demands. AN has not for a while been a con one goes to for the guests, but maybe that could change.

For cosplay guests at least, I know that there are some specifications and preferences that eliminate a lot of potentials. I ran into Kaijugal a few weeks ago and she was explaining it to me. From what I understand, and if I'm remembering what she told me right, it's preferred that the cosplayer is Canadian, and that they're willing to do workshops/demos/panels in order to educate and help people learn skills. Expecting to sit at an artist's alley table or autograph table all weekend doesn't cut it. If you don't want to instruct because you're scared of other people becoming talented, ya doin' it wrong. I think that's a great system and completely reasonable expectations of make of your guests who are there for cosplay.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #33
AJ the Collector
Collector

For the record, here's the list I submitted as ideas for 2013, along with suggesting the return of Brina and Tatum. Included with a few here are specific reasonings and such.

1. Andrew Hussie - Unbelievably obvious and completely possible choice
2. Laura Bailey - Has expressed interest in being invited but never has been
3. Yoshitaka Amano - Maybe not a completely realistic expectation for AN due to how pricey he likely is, but I can dream
4. Veronica Taylor - AN guest relations claims they've been wanting to get her for years now
5. Travis Willingham - He goes wherever Laura does and would be an awesome guest to have anyway
6. Doug Walker - If various other small/first-time/fan-run cons can get him, surely Anime North could
7. Kae Araki
8. Hitomi Nabatame
9. Paul Dobson - He was supposed to be there with his brothers in 2011 but couldn't make it, so it'd be great to see him be able to attend sometime soon
10. Tara Strong
11. Alessandro Juliani
12. Ikue Otani
13. Jennifer Hale
14. LittleKuriboh - See Doug Walker
15. Romi Park
16. Nolan North
17. Matthew Taranto - Brawl in the Family is becoming more widely-known and has merchandise and printed books now, so it would make total sense to give its author a booth somewhere
18. Todd Haberkorn
19. Robin Atkin Downes
20. Steven Blum
21. Darren Dunstan
22. Roger Craig Smith
23. Nicole Oliver
24. Crispin Freeman - See Veronica Taylor
25. Reuben Langdon

Personally, I'd also love to see Adella as a cosplay guest.
DTAC 2014

Equius Zahhak {100%!} for FX14, End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014: Zoostuck Twostuck and AN15
L {70%} for AN15
Karkat Vantas {70%}
Makoto Naegi {50%}
Zidane Tribal {30%}

Unread 12-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #34
Miliyah

oh gosh i just went on the forums..
kinda wish they'd emphasize and utilize that more :\
DAT RECENT SPAM. yikes
Unread 12-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #35
Joybug

I would like to see distinct lines on the friday rather than the lines being clustered together (I had my pre-reg ticket last year and couldn't find anyone who could tell me which line was which for the longest time).
I would also like to see more signs directing people to events, and it would be awesome if they had the booklets at pre-reg rather than having to try to track one down the next day.
It would be nice to see people smoking in a designated area rather than in the lines, as well.

From cosplayers I would like to see some of the old cosplays come back. I can't help but love the older series and wish they were cosplayed more often, though I like a wide variety of series both current and old, the older ones don't get enough love.

I've seen in the past before, as well, where people arrange panels based on series, having cosplayers dressed up and having a fun session with other fans. I want to see more of that.

More than anything I want to see people at Anime north having as great of a time as they have in previous years. There didn't seem to be as much cheer last year as in previous.
Joybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #36
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybug View Post
I would like to see distinct lines on the friday rather than the lines being clustered together (I had my pre-reg ticket last year and couldn't find anyone who could tell me which line was which for the longest time).
I would also like to see more signs directing people to events, and it would be awesome if they had the booklets at pre-reg rather than having to try to track one down the next day.
It would be nice to see people smoking in a designated area rather than in the lines, as well.

From cosplayers I would like to see some of the old cosplays come back. I can't help but love the older series and wish they were cosplayed more often, though I like a wide variety of series both current and old, the older ones don't get enough love.

I've seen in the past before, as well, where people arrange panels based on series, having cosplayers dressed up and having a fun session with other fans. I want to see more of that.

More than anything I want to see people at Anime north having as great of a time as they have in previous years. There didn't seem to be as much cheer last year as in previous.
well last year on friday there only was one line... I thought they would have been selling Friday tickets, but I never saw where they would do so... unless it was in another area or something... but maybe that's just it... maybe there was one line when there should have been 2...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #37
AmuletCross

More Japanese guests, but that would be expensive, still it would be nice to have some ><
AmuletCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #38
sarahluvbird

I want to see awesome cosplays, good deals, and great things at the dealers room. I also want Vic Mignogna to come <3 Ahhh my Vic feels.
Iv'e been wanting to cosplay as Maka Albarn. Does anyone know if there's a reasonable website and i also need help on the wig and the contacts. If anyone cosplayed Maka, can you please help me? ;3; onegai. lol I need help now xD
sarahluvbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #39
AJ the Collector
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuletCross View Post
More Japanese guests, but that would be expensive, still it would be nice to have some ><
I think they should get at least two or three if they're able. Aside from my obvious "wanna meet this person so badly it hurts" choice of Yoshitaka Amano, I think my choices overall would be Romi Park, Kae Araki and Hitomi Nabatame.
DTAC 2014

L {70%} for AN15
Karkat Vantas {70%}
Makoto Naegi {50%}
Zidane Tribal {30%}

Last edited by AJ the Collector : 12-27-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #40
Gohan Som

I would like to see more unique interactive events. I thought of something like an all night room that does not revolve around just watching anime all night. Maybe something like the Goken but not 18+ and run all night.
Gohan Som is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #41
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan Som View Post
I would like to see more unique interactive events. I thought of something like an all night room that does not revolve around just watching anime all night. Maybe something like the Goken but not 18+ and run all night.
Agreed, chances to meet people!

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #42
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
it's preferred that the cosplayer is Canadian, and that they're willing to do workshops/demos/panels in order to educate and help people learn skills. Expecting to sit at an artist's alley table or autograph table all weekend doesn't cut it. If you don't want to instruct because you're scared of other people becoming talented, ya doin' it wrong. I think that's a great system and completely reasonable expectations of make of your guests who are there for cosplay.
Essentially correct. We do like to try to get Canadian cosplayers, at least every second year. It has often been expressed to me that if Canadian conventions are not promoting our wonderful Canadian cosplayers, who will? Supporting the wonderful Canadian costuming community is very important. We do recognize that fans wish to also see international cosplayers, so switching off from year to year and having cosplayers such as Yaya, (who is terrific with the fans), is our way of trying to remain balanced.

And yes I do lean towards guests willing to teach skills or share knowledge.

I do often invite people based on requests. It doesn't mean they are always interested in coming. It doesn't mean the person who agrees to come is the guest that you or your friends suggested. Often cosplayers tell me they would rather attend a "name" American con than what they consider to be an "unknown" Canadian con. (I hope that Anime North is "unknown" sounds as stupid to you as it does to me.)

We have had requested cosplay guests. They just may not be the ones you personally requested, but other people did. Some requested cosplay guests have not been able to commit due to work or another convention that they would rather attend, but have been willing to keep us in mind. And the requests I get for Anime North to fly guests from other countries just because "OMG I LOVE XXXCOSPLAYER SO MUCH AND WANT TO PROPOSE TO THEM! THEY ARE MY FUTURE HUSBAND/WIFE/SLAVE!!OMGYOUMUSTFLYTHEM TO ME!!!111", those go straight in the trash. Everything else is considered and I keep them on file.

Several of the requested guests will be coming, just on their time line.

We have some very exciting cosplay guests interested in attending Anime North in the next many years. Nobody is going to be happy with everyone, but hopefully you'll enjoy.

There are several workshops to be announced in relation to this year's costuming guest line up including casting and molding workshops and demos so Do-it-yourself cosplayers keep an eye out for the details!

Another note regarding general guests: There are on average 14 anime cons in north america alone the same weekend as Anime North. There are multiple many times as many media/multi/and other fan cons the same weekend. Guests often commit to other cons for some personal preference which is their right or have personal plans on what is a shared long weekend in north america. I face this constantly even with cosplay guests.

TLR = It's impossible to make everyone happy. I do my best. I appreciate your support.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 12-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #43
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan Som View Post
And enough room for people to participate in said event. I remember last year the bro and I wanted to go to a panel, arrived an hour - ish early and was told that it was already full.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote