Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
kittenmeru
Mischief Maker

How to pack for a con with limited space in a suitcase?

One of my cosplays is Lady Loki, so I've got a massive fur cape that already takes up a lot of room in my suitcase. Any tips on how to downsize everything else I have to bring? Or any tips on how to condense my cape without ruining it?
kittenmeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Ithlia
Row row fight the powa

You could always just get a small duffle bag to put just the cape in so it isn't consuming your entire suitcase. Or you could have a suitcase dedicated entirely to cosplays with a smaller suitcase or bag or something dedicated to your normal clothes. I usually have a separate bag for my bathroom stuff (make-up, hair brush, etc...) as well to keep everything organized.

Cosplay Plans:
-Mako (Kill la Kill)
-Popstar Ahri (League of Legends)
-Jill Valentine (Resident Evil 5)
-Poison (Final Fight)

My Facebook Page:Facebook.com/IthliaOfficial
My DeviantArt:DeviantArt
My Tumblr:Tumblr
Ithlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Asezuna

Hm, maybe you should roll up a few things. (Not the cape. I don't know how it would react to that.) That way they use up less space.
".... Not much of a threat, considering we're already in Hel."
Asezuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

I say you should look into getting a garment bag for the cape if it is small enough
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

How are you traveling? Considering you absolutely have to fit it into one suitcase, I'm going to assume you're going by plane (if not, sorry for the incorrect assumption XD). I'd suggest putting it in your carry-on bag. If you're traveling on land, just fold it up and put it into a duffel bag. Most hotels have irons, so if anything gets wrinkled, just iron it when you get there. A general space saving tip is to layer a bunch of things and then roll them, but that can damage cosplays sometimes.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
kittenmeru
Mischief Maker

Well I'm travelling via plane so my space is limited to my suitcase and my carry on bag. I want to leave a bit of room for whatever I buy at the con, but my cape seems to react fairly well to rolling, and that takes up about half of my suitcase. I wonder if putting it in a vacuum space bag is a good or bad idea.
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Marbleyes
Wishful Dreamer

Have you ever tried getting a space bag? Those are life savors for those big cosplays especially the travel bags where you can roll the air out and stuff.

I would invest in one for something huge like that.

Future Cons
C2E2 [Saturday Only]
Anime Central 2014 [Saturday Only]
Anime Midwest 2014
Marbleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
kittenmeru
Mischief Maker

That's what I was thinking. I know I probably can't find a vacuum to suck air out for the trip back, but rolling the air out is a good idea.
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Does your suitcase have the mesh part? Can your cape fit there?

Other suggestions, don't roll up your cape... put everything you need down first then sit on it, put your cape over that and zip the suitcase up. Sometimes rolling up items doesn't save you space. There is also carrying a duffle bag or a backpack as your carry on or wear your cape thru airport security and drap it over your bag. (Say your using it to keep you warm like a blanket?)

I once fit 5 cosplays, 4 trench coats, 4 pairs of shoes, and a dozen other things in one suitcase before so anything is possible xD.
(Sidenote: Almost didn't make it turn the airport with it though because it was 48.5lbs and weight limit was 50...)
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Downsize what you DON'T need to bring (extra books, your laptop if your phone or an ipad will do, a full-size bottle of shampoo if you only need a travel portion or are going to use hotel stuff, etc.), and use every available space- for boots and shoes as an example, since they take up tons of room, I'll stuff socks and small items into the feet where otherwise I'd have wasted space. Also, check and see if your suitcase has an expanding zipper- they are a LIFESAVER for cramming a couple more inches in. I travel by train to my cons, so I'm limited to one under 50-pound suitcase and an overnight, myself.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
kittenmeru
Mischief Maker

Oh good ideas! there is a weight limit and a size limit, I don't want to pack the thing too bulging. I think I'm going to have to do some experimenting.
Unread 12-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
Nostrum
R4Hscal

You can try lining your suitcase with the cape, pack everything else in, and then wrap the overhang of the cape like a parcel before you close the suitcase.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Gummibar

Zip lock bags for props...lots of zip lock bags and carry what you can on hangers (that is easy to transport from A to B).
Gummibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

Wear the cape on the plane. Use as a travel blanket.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Rose of Battle
lolwut

I'm going to second putting things in boots and shoes. That frees up more space than you'd think!

2014: Genericon, PAX East, Otakon

2015: Katsucon, Genericon, Anime Boston(?), Otakon
Rose of Battle is offline   Reply With Quote