Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Closed Thread
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
sarahluvbird

Anime North 2013 hotel help

Hi i'll be cosplaying at AN13 as Yoruichi from Bleach. I went to my first con on may. I went to AN12 on a Saturday which was sooooo awesome!! I want to go 3 days and i want to stay at a hotel. But i have no money. ( I'm a broke 13 yr old ;3. I really want to stay at a hotel room but my family thinks it's too... well idk they said no. I never went to a hotel before. I think it would be great. So i was wondering on how to get others to come to the hotel with you. Any suggestions? It would be great if you guys helped me
Iv'e been wanting to cosplay as Maka Albarn. Does anyone know if there's a reasonable website and i also need help on the wig and the contacts. If anyone cosplayed Maka, can you please help me? ;3; onegai. lol I need help now xD

Unread 12-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

at your age I certainly wouldn't be rooming with strangers... I'd definitely get your parents to book a hotel and stay with you if you don't have friends you can stay with... thing is... all the close hotels are booked solid and have been a while... so you'd probably have to have your parents drive you to and from your hotel to the con anyways, since it would be dangerous for ANYONE, especially a 13 year old to be walking alone all that way...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
jukebox
i want pizza

I hate to sound like a jerk, but consider this: if your parents have already expressed their discomfort with you getting a hotel room, how would they feel about the fact that you are not only denying their wishes with no clear motivation as to why, but you are also expecting complete strangers on an internet forum to accommodate you? :/ It would do very little to change their minds.

If you have never stayed at a hotel before and never been to a con for a whole weekend before, it is unwise to commit yourself to the whole 9 yards straight away, and I'm not sure why you're even considering it if you already know the money is not there. Start by going to cons for 1-2 days that you can travel back and forth to with reasonable ease. I started cosplaying at your age and I didn't start doing hotels for full weekend cons until I was 19. Hotels are booked for comfort and necessity, not necessarily because they look fun and glamorous. If you are trying to prove to your family, other people in the cosplay community, or even to yourself that you are responsible, this is not the way to do it. If you're really committed to this, find friends or peers in your age group (including at least ONE legal adult willing to be a guardian for the weekend, since you will need one present for hotel booking and sign-in), and get everyone to save up the money, and make sure they take the commitment seriously.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahluvbird View Post
Hi i'll be cosplaying at AN13 as Yoruichi from Bleach. I went to my first con on may. I went to AN12 on a Saturday which was sooooo awesome!! I want to go 3 days and i want to stay at a hotel. But i have no money. ( I'm a broke 13 yr old ;3. I really want to stay at a hotel room but my family thinks it's too... well idk they said no. I never went to a hotel before. I think it would be great. So i was wondering on how to get others to come to the hotel with you. Any suggestions? It would be great if you guys helped me
I started going to Anime North at 14 and only started staying in a hotel at 16, with my close friend's mom and other adults staying in the room with us. If your parents or family members aren't willing to accompany you, you may want to consider organizing a carpool with friends, if you live close enough for it to be a viable option. Otherwise, I really don't advise trying to go against your parents' wishes at that age. They have your safety in mind.

And if you have no money, uh, good luck getting a free hotel.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Grimmjow99

I totally agree with everyone here. If you really want to come, i would highly suggest convince your parents or trusted friends/ family members to come with you because at AN 2012 there were a lot of families that actually came with their children whether they were cosplayers themselves or just there for support of the fact they were paying for the hotel. I started going to AN north when I was 19, and even at 19 years old I was scared as to how I would enjoy myself at this convention but on my first day it was awesome and I told myself I would be going again.

I would try and convince your parents to at least come with you for one day or if you are lucky to come for 3 days and let them get a taste of the convention maybe that will help to convince in them for later years. Because hey...Anime may not be for all parents who come.
Unread 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
sarahluvbird

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll just figure out a way. It's just 5 months away so maybe i could get someone to go to a hotel with me c:
Iv'e been wanting to cosplay as Maka Albarn. Does anyone know if there's a reasonable website and i also need help on the wig and the contacts. If anyone cosplayed Maka, can you please help me? ;3; onegai. lol I need help now xD
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Ivanbin

My school has an Anime Club, and our founder, organized the whole trip for everyone, including booking hotels and such.
We had 3-4 people in a room. Was affordable, fun and safe because even though everyone did their own thing in convention, we all gathered together when we went to the hotel (cheaper cab too )
Closed Thread