Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Shiizuma
The Pragmatic Realist

Question Worth Staying the Extra Day?

My friends and I are planning for a con this year, and we're debating if it's worth staying Sunday or not. Sunday only runs until about 4pm and it would cost us an extra day's parking. With two cars that's about $40 dollars more.

Some people in our group really want to get everything out of this big con while others don't want to spend the extra money for parking.

What do you guys think? Is Sunday really worth extra money? Is there anything special about the last day that will make it worth staying? Or should we just head home with extra money in our pockets?

2013 Conventions
PAX East | AnimeNEXT | Otakon

Past Cosplays
Shizuma Hanazono (Strawberry Panic) | IA (Vocaloid) | Misa Amane

This Year's Cosplays
FEM!Hikaru (OHSHC) [group cosplay] | Hatsune Miku - Love Philosophia (Vocaloid)

Tumblr | MyFitnessPal | DeviantArt
Shiizuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

If some want to stay and some don't and you have two cars, why not let one car-full leave and let the other stay? Assuming that's not an option though...

As for whether or not it's worth it, I can't tell you, since I don't know what events/panels your convention will be scheduling for Sunday and whether they are ones that you are interested in. All the cons I go to have programming running for the whole time they are open (except possibly overnight depending on the venue), so whether you will want to attend depends entirely on what you like to do at cons.

If you don't go to conventions for the programming, and you think you will have gotten your fill of cosplaying and socializing and shopping and photos done before Sunday, then no, there's no need to stay.
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Agreed. If you have two cars, carpool in such a way that some members of the group can leave early if they want to.

In my opinion, the extra day is always worth it.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Lemon-Squeezy

Pretty much what MaiSheri said. Personally I think it's worth it to go the last day. (We actually leave Monday because most people are gone by then and check out is waaay less stressful. No checking out, packing, going to the con at once lol)

Can you make the decision once you're at the con, or when they release the time for panels, workshops, etc?

Kastucon 2015
Austrian Succession Spain - Hetalia
Ryuko (Maybe) - Kill la Kill
Flora (Maybe) - Professor Layton

Otakon 2015
Ryuko - Kill la Kill
Austrian Succession Spain - Hetalia
Flora - Professor Layton
Sasha Blouse - Attack on Titan
Lemon-Squeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Evig Vinter
It Started Off So Well...

I think it's worth it, but not everyone would think so. It really depends on what convention it is, and if there is anything worthwhile going on Sunday at the convention. It's always good to have extra money left over, though. If your group doesn't have a lot of money going around, it might be wise to just forgoe the last day.

Also, why is the parking $40 for two cars? I'm pretty sure that there are cheaper options available, albeit a bit further away.

2013 Cosplays:
Unknown at this point

* Dependent upon whether I'm feeling better, or if I'm back in the ER again.
** Dependent upon interests, time, and money
Evig Vinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

In my experience, the AMV contest is often on Sunday and I never miss that. The final leg of the costume contest is held on Sundays sometimes, too. I'd make sure those aren't missed. I like Sundays at conventions: The atmosphere is usually a bit sleepy which is a good change of pace, following rave night in particular, and there's always something in the main events worth seeing w/maybe a nice panel or two to take you thru the 5 o'clock hour. Sometimes you can find a nice deal in the dealers room before it closes, too. I'd go.

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 12-28-2012 at 11:17 PM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Kenkaya

It really depends on the con... I would wait until the con schedule comes out and see if there's anything you'd like to stay for. I stopped going the last day of AX because the Dealer's Hall and video rooms close by 3 and I felt it wasn't worth my time or money to stay an extra day that doesn't even amount to a half of a usual con day for me. I always check the programing though, and the two times they had an event I wanted to attend on the last day I did stay.
Unread 12-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

It really depends on the convention that you're going to. I would coordinate as others have said in arranging it so that those who wish to leave early can do so while those who want to stay can also do so.

For me with AX, I always stay the last day because while things wrap up early and there's always a gap between the last panel and the closing ceremonies it's really a good chance to get a few last pictures of cosplayers and to also get in one last opportunity to cosplay even casually like I did this year. That aside, I generally like to get every last bit out of a con that I can and I will continue to do so as long as I go to cons
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Personally, I really like Sunday for finishing up shopping and hanging out with friends before we head home.

Artists in the Alley often like the discount their stuff a little on Sunday (since they often don't want to have to pack it all back up to bring home), so that's always an added plus for me. I sometimes see the merchants in the Dealer's Hall do this as well, so if shopping is your game, Sunday is a great time to do it.

Other than that, Sunday is a great chance to get any last-minute photos you might've missed out on earlier in the weekend. I like to grab food with a huge group of friends too, and talk about anything that happened while we split up (ex, if we went to different photoshoots or panels, etc). Sometimes we see some more programming too, but only if something really sticks out to us as interesting.

In your case, I would definitely check out the programming schedule, and see if anything really strikes your fancy. If you know you're bringing a bunch of cosplays, only going two days might not give you enough time to go out and enjoy wearing them. If you have another con coming up soon, though, and want to save the money for that, it might indeed not be worth staying.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
AshofRebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
Personally, I really like Sunday for finishing up shopping and hanging out with friends before we head home.

Artists in the Alley often like the discount their stuff a little on Sunday (since they often don't want to have to pack it all back up to bring home), so that's always an added plus for me. I sometimes see the merchants in the Dealer's Hall do this as well, so if shopping is your game, Sunday is a great time to do it.

Other than that, Sunday is a great chance to get any last-minute photos you might've missed out on earlier in the weekend. I like to grab food with a huge group of friends too, and talk about anything that happened while we split up (ex, if we went to different photoshoots or panels, etc). Sometimes we see some more programming too, but only if something really sticks out to us as interesting.

This. Plus, the surrounding area of a con is usually a city or place I've never been in or go to often. I like to take the time to explore the area alot more. Go to shops, go eat at a place I wouldn't find back home. It's hard to do that on busy con days like Friday and Saturday.

I also do it for safety reasons. I love to stay at cons for a long time, just hanging out with friends and people watching. By the time I'm done with that, it's 2/3 a.m. after a long day that probably started at 7 a.m. I'd rather have a place to crash then to drive myself back home. Or you can always leave earlier Saturday.. but I don't find that as fun especially if you're playing for a whole day's worth (so kinda like getting your money's worth)

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Exploring the city/surrounding area is another factor, definitely. For example, I won't usually stay late on Sunday of Otakon to 'explore' in Baltimore (I'm from the Mid-Atlantic, and with family nearby there I get to go relatively often); but if I could swing a couple extra hours in NYC after NYCC, I'd be all for that.

Sleep is also a bonus factor. If you plan on doing things late at night on Saturday, make sure you're well-rested before you travel!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

All really good advice. Especially about deals in the exhibit hall. I find that it's better for my wallet to get what I can't do without the first day and pick up the stuff that didn't make the cut the last day. If it's not there, it wasn't meant to be.
Whatever you decided I highly advise that you have the next day off of work to relax.
Unread 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Personally, I would look at the event schedule and see what's going on Sunday to make a final decision. Typically, Sunday is the off-day. I wouldn't pay so much extra for it.
Unread 12-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Devkyu

For Otakon in particular, I like staying as late as possible, either staying over the extra night and leaving Monday morning, or leaving really late in the afternoon on Sunday if that isn't an option.

For the most part I just like hanging out in the harbor, hitting the Aquarium, and having a nice dinner and RELAXING after the complete insanity that was the weekend. So it really depends on what is around outside the convention too, whether it is worth staying.
Unread 12-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #15
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Monroe View Post
All really good advice. Especially about deals in the exhibit hall. I find that it's better for my wallet to get what I can't do without the first day and pick up the stuff that didn't make the cut the last day. If it's not there, it wasn't meant to be.
Whatever you decided I highly advise that you have the next day off of work to relax.
^ THIS...I have friends who are back at work the day after AX and I can't for the life of me wonder how they are able to do that. Considering that my AX schedule consists of rising early and going to bed late every day, the extra day is most welcome to catch up on sleep that I didn't get at con.
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote