Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3686 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #61756
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Thanks! The hard part will be keeping it this way. I love food. Especially junk food and carbs. Really, the main reason I exercise is so I can continue to eat said junk food and not gain extra weight from all of it. I mostly hate exercise and am lazy as hell with it and I'm not going to live off of raw carrots and water and boneless skinless chicken breast for all eternity.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 12-28-2012 at 11:56 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #61757
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Just bought the electronics for my Quorra cosplay. .....now I see why broke cosplayers don't do Tron: Legacy cosplays. My boyfriend and I have now sunk HALF A GRAND into the costume (he paid forthe disk, which was $70, and part of the electronics, which was about $200) and there's still shit to buy to finish it.
I know your pain. I really wanted to work a lot of light panels into a new costume, but there was NO WAY I could justify the price. I'll just use silver metallic fabric instead and be glad that I can still afford to eat in lieu of having the costume be perfect in my eyes.
Unread 12-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #61758
trophy-bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
Might have something to do with having "bot" in your username.
Makes you wonder whether Autobots are banned on forums. Seems like a fair punishment for fighting evil.

Wait, I think my nerd is showing.

Unfortunate name choices aside (I'll have to consider using spambot247 as my username from now on), thanks for your tip about them links. My linkspamming days seem to lie yet ahead of me.
trophy-bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #61759
Clementine
I do as I please.

Stressed because Sac-Anime is in exactly a week and my Marceline wig still isn't here, and I still need the boots, fangs, and body paint. Also very excited that my Rarity wig came in and I have everything ready for that cosplay!

If my Marceline wig isn't here by the day before the con I am dyeing my hair and extensions black.

In other news, I'm starting back up en pointe in a few weeks in ballet and I got two new piercings yesterday! (I got a low cartilage piercing and my tragus done-- both on my left ear)
Friday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)
Saturday: Satsuki Kiryuin (awakened Junketsu) (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Kraehe (rehearsal outfit) (Princess Tutu)

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (20%)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #61760
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

*headdesk*

I cannot stop talking about Professor Layton. I need help.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #61761
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Professor Layton is pretty addicting though, I understand!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 5% (Planning) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #61762
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Just bought the electronics for my Quorra cosplay. .....now I see why broke cosplayers don't do Tron: Legacy cosplays. My boyfriend and I have now sunk HALF A GRAND into the costume (he paid forthe disk, which was $70, and part of the electronics, which was about $200) and there's still shit to buy to finish it.
Half a grand?! Fucking hell. Theres a reason why I don't really put much effort into my cosplays because anything over £50 is breaking the bank for me, but 500? Jesus...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #61763
StarsCASSiOPEiA

DANG Shinobi, that's some serious dedication to a project!

I'll easily spend $300 on Link by the time I'm done (granted, it was well over $100 for all the chainmailing supplies), but wow. @.@
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #61764
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Uh.

I once spent around $150 for my Alice costume, including everything. Maybe around $160.

-cough-

Big spendin' Emmers.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #61765
StarsCASSiOPEiA

That's usually more like what I spend on cosplay stuff too, Emmers.

I just figured the chainmail would be worth it, seeing as how it's kinda generic/could be used for lots of other cosplays in the future. It's pretty cool to say that I've made my own hauberk too, haha.
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #61766
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I LIKE to try and do cosplays for under 100 or under 200, but yah. Quorra is one of those that's going to cost a crapton if you want it lit up. The disk was $70, the LED flexistrips (for various reasons I skipped on EL wire) cost $78, the transformer for the voltages was about $10, the battery cases were $12, an arduino mini was $25, bridge connectors were $10, and there was still shipping. Booyfriend and I refused to make a flimsily-wired costume and pulled out the stops on making the connections tough and decently long-lighting. Then the undershirt and armour pleather cost about $100, the gloves $10, the wig $30, the base boots $28, and the tights $15, plus 13% sales tax on almost everything, AND I bought some new makeup items just for the cosplay. And I still need to buy a frosted vinyl shower curtain and all the batteries, and some glow paint.
Yup. It's a fun money pit. (By contrast, my Twilight Sparkle gijinka, with circle lenses, got completed for just $70 of my own money, and the lenses were $30 and the wig $27 something. I won't count comissioning an Owloysius shoulder puppet because he'll be used for numerous other things too.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 12-29-2012 at 10:08 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #61767
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

I'm pretty sure I spent close to or maybe even more than $300 on my Odette tutu. The fabric was like $20 a yard! And feathers are crazy expensive, too.
And all of the rhinestones I'm collecting for my Rose Adagio tutu are quickly adding up; I still need to buy $100ish worth of rhinestones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
I've made my own hauberk too, haha.
....you made a what now?

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #61768
StarsCASSiOPEiA

The price of feathers does indeed make me cry.

And this is a hauberk.

Mine still lacks sleeves, but there have been other more pressing projects taking up my time. It takes forever too-- you have to link everything together one ring at a time. *flops over*

I have a feeling our SAO stuff is gonna get expensive too... OTL
Unread 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #61769
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
I'm pretty sure I spent close to or maybe even more than $300 on my Odette tutu. The fabric was like $20 a yard! And feathers are crazy expensive, too.
And all of the rhinestones I'm collecting for my Rose Adagio tutu are quickly adding up; I still need to buy $100ish worth of rhinestones.
Vaguely related question for you: I have always been interested in the process of making a plate tutu, but haven't really found much info about it other than it's really hard and take a lot of time and a lot of material. Your tutus look great - I'm wondering where/how you learned and if you'll share?
It's not something I'd just make, especially since I don't dance anymore and don't have any tutu costumes planned, but it's something I've always wanted to add to my theoretical skill set.
Unread 12-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #61770
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
The price of feathers does indeed make me cry.

And this is a hauberk.

Mine still lacks sleeves, but there have been other more pressing projects taking up my time. It takes forever too-- you have to link everything together one ring at a time. *flops over*

I have a feeling our SAO stuff is gonna get expensive too... OTL
Oooooh. Okay. Hauberk is a fun word. :'D
And that's okay. I had wanted to make chain mail for a Link cosplay (plans just kinda fell through) so I kinda sorta know what you're talking about.

It might. ..........for you. I got my Asuna fabric 50% off already, and it's not like *I* have a gigantic sword to make. XDDDD
I love you! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
Vaguely related question for you: I have always been interested in the process of making a plate tutu, but haven't really found much info about it other than it's really hard and take a lot of time and a lot of material. Your tutus look great - I'm wondering where/how you learned and if you'll share?
It's not something I'd just make, especially since I don't dance anymore and don't have any tutu costumes planned, but it's something I've always wanted to add to my theoretical skill set.
Thank you! I actually spent a really long time researching and such. Like, from 2009 up until last summer when I was brave enough to try it. Most of my knowledge comes from Tutu.com. They sell a book......that I bought in 2010, but didn't really fully understand until I tried making my own.

Uuuuugghhhh. I think I'm sick. Like, legitimately sick. I spent most of yesterday uncomfortable and FREEZING to death, despite being wrapped in a giant fuzzy blanket and wearing a giant fuzzy jacket.

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote