Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Pitifuleek

Rhinestone on fabric

Hello!

I was just wondering if you can put rhinestones that you use on your nails onto fabric. Thank you
Pitifuleek is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitifuleek View Post
Hello!

I was just wondering if you can put rhinestones that you use on your nails onto fabric. Thank you
It doesn't matter the size of the rhinestone, though the tinier they are the more pain in the butt they tend to be. And depending on what kind of rhinestones you have, you can glue them on, hot fix/iron them on or use a special rhinestone tool setter. Some can also be sewn on.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

They make rhinestones for putting on fabric. No need to resort to the ones for nails.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Pitifuleek

Thank you for the info Mykaios.

I know they have rhinestones for fabric. I was asking if I can use the ones for nails instead like is there a difference in the compounds of the rhinestone that would not make it suitable for fabric. Ones for nails are extremely cheaper and I will be using a lot so I wanted to find a cheaper alternative.
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Penlowe

Are you sure they are cheaper?

It's easy to look at a small quantity of something and think it costs less than a larger package, but if you break down the unit price you'll know the true cost.

I looked into nail rhinestones, most of them are plastic. The majority of rhinestones sold for fabric applications are glass or crystal. You get what you pay for.
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Are you sure they are cheaper?

It's easy to look at a small quantity of something and think it costs less than a larger package, but if you break down the unit price you'll know the true cost.

I looked into nail rhinestones, most of them are plastic. The majority of rhinestones sold for fabric applications are glass or crystal. You get what you pay for.
Yeah... having worked in both a Sally's Beauty Supply and Joann Fabrics before, the rhinestones for nails definitely cost more. Plus with Joann fabrics you can use coupons. You can also order in bulk amounts online from sites like fire mountain gems.
Unread 12-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Pitifuleek

Yea, that's what I was asking for about what they were made of. I found a site with nail rhinestones for 5000 for 2 dollars but I bet they're plastic like you said. I wasn't sure what rhinestones could be made out of. Thanks! And will definitely look into fire mountain gems. Thank you so much!
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitifuleek View Post
Yea, that's what I was asking for about what they were made of. I found a site with nail rhinestones for 5000 for 2 dollars but I bet they're plastic like you said. I wasn't sure what rhinestones could be made out of. Thanks! And will definitely look into fire mountain gems. Thank you so much!
Regular craft gems and rhinestones are also made of plastic