Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Seikari_Love

Removing dye from wigs?

I dyed my blonde wig blue but the dye didn't take very well (used FW ink method). I searched the forms on how to get the dye out and everyone says to use a higher concentrate of alchohol. I dyed it with 70% and I'm trying to use 91% to get it out but to no avail.

-I'm basically soaking it in the stuff and rinsing it out-

I'd rather NOT have to buy a whole new wig seeming as I'd need it by the 22nd of January and it is now the 27th of deccember. Is there any way to get the color out?
Seikari_Love is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Actually, you can use the same kind of alcohol you used to apply the dye in the first place^^ Anything 70% and up is fine.

It's usually enough to put the wig in a ziploc bag with alcohol, squish and shake it well, and rinse. (There's no need to let it sit in the alcohol for more than a few seconds, the dye should come right off - just make sure it gets everywhere.)

If the dye doesn't come out completely, leave the wig to air dry, then repeat the process.

I'm not familiar with FW ink, so I don't know if there's something else in the dye that might leave a residue; but usually the dye / marker ink comes right off. Very dark colors may take multiple rinsings to get rid of, though.
Unread 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Seikari_Love

It's not even making a dent. I don't know if it's the dye or the wig but it isn't working at all.
Yuffie Kisaragi: 40%
Next con: Megacon
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

That's odd. Any idea what kind of fiber it's made of?
Unread 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Seikari_Love

No. It's a heat resistant wig though and apparently I'm not the only one with the problem so far. The Epic Cosplay wigs are doing it too. I got mine from Cosplayanimewigs.comI've tried everything I can think of to no avail and I don't have time to buy a new wig so I'm abit bummed.
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
lollydove

Actually, you do have time. I bought a wig two weeks before my due date in China (i'm in Oz) and I got it a few days before the con. A month is plenty of time.
And with Christmas having just passed, hopefully you've got some money or something you can use to get another one ^_^
June / Akane Kurashiki (999) - %85
Phi (Good People Die) - %0
Shuu Iwamine (Pigeon Boyfriend) - %0
Kazemaru Ichirouta (Inazuma Eleven) - %0

[center]COME VISIT MY LENS STORE!
lollydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Seikari_Love

I'm tight on cash right now, If I DO get one, it would be from Peri-wig.com and they take around a month to get to me. I'm just going to use the wig for a last minute thrown-together cosplay. The chances of being recognized are slim but it works.

Though I'd still love to find out how to get this crap out some day =/
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

FW inks don't remove with alchool from the new heat resistant wig I got from Epic Cosplay/Shop.Coplay. >_<

It didn't take very well either I and I got a two tone wig. I was going for pale grey blue with a hint of purple and got this. It just didn't dye evenly.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...g?t=1293597200

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Seikari_Love

Yeah that's about what mine looks like. It's blue with blonde highlights, which looks really odd. I did a tester first and the dye took fine on the little area but on a wide scale it...well sucked...
Unread 12-31-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

I started working on getting the dye out of Ani_BEE's wig this evening. Washing it with dish washing detergent (Dawn) took some of the dye out. The wig was sort of tangled/dry from the acrylic in the FW ink, and since it was already wet from being washed, I tried some human hair conditioner (Tresemme, 's what I had on hand) on it. LO AND BEHOLD, what works to clean paintbrushes helps to strip the dye out of wigs! You have to really comb it through though, I was using a fine-toothed comb. I've got one section from blue back to its original factory white. Wig is going to be soaking in a bucket full of diluted conditioner. I'll be gone over New Years, but will post results when I return.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Tresemme?!? lol That's so much crazy it worked, let us know how it turns out. I glad you have not resorted to paint stripper.

I'll definitely avoid FW inks for long wigs next time. I used it in the past since it's easier to cleanup after in the shower stall.

FanEXPO

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 01-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

I finished my attempt at stripping the dye from Ani_BEE's wig. Here's my results, see post #8 for the original. Both of these wigs are Cosplay.com's XX-02 wig in white. The top one is mine that I dyed with RIT, the bottom is Ani_BEE's after I got as much of the FW ink out as I could. Both wigs are lighter in real life than they are in the photo.

This was the process:
- dishwashing detergent -> little excess blue dye coming off the ends
- conditioner -> OH BOY PAINT COMING OFF YAY
- soaking in a bucket of water + conditioner for a week -> hrm, well that didn't do much
- paint thinner -> well, it's not doing much after 2 minutes, let me leave it on for ten CRAP WHY IS THE HAIR BEING CLUMPY AND WAVY D:
- massive quantities of water and even more conditioner -? whew, clumps/waves/remainder of removable color came out

Even though I didn't get all the color out, it's more even looking now, and it's back to the shine/softness of the undyed fiber. The vertical streaks are less visible now that they're different hues of the same shade; I couldn't see them until I looked for them.

This was really frickin' labor intensive; not counting the time the wig spent soaking in various solutions, I spent about six hours combing the dye out of it. Moral of story: use Sharpie if you ever want to get the color out.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

I got similar lightening results as ChilmarkGryphon:

I dyed a white heat-resistant fiber wig with FW Ink Method, and attempted to remove all color.

First, I soaked the wig in a plastic baggie filled with rubbing alcohol overnight and rinsed with water. This bleached out the color about half way.

Next, I sprayed the wig with OxyClean MaxForce spray laundry stain remover. (From WalMart)
http://www.oxiclean.com/pre-treatmen...ver-spray.aspx

I sprayed the wet wig thoroughly, lathered it, and put it in a baggie again for a few hours, rinsed, and repeated.

I'll try to find some pics. It was originally a white wig, dyed bright orange/pink (don't remember), and I got it to a very, very faint pink. But it definitely still has a tint to it. The wig fiber is matte and waxy feeling, like when you use too much fabric softener in your clothes, because the Oxy Clean probably has some softener in it. I suspect that washing with a dish soap might remove the waxiness. But it does smell really, really awesome.

LEFT: White Cosworx Premium wig dyed with FW Ink method - red and white dye mix to get a nice bright pink.
MIDDLE: Wig after rubbing alcohol applied overnight.
RIGHT: Wig after OxyClean soak. I did the OxyClean a second time and got it a bit lighter, but have no pics.

Definitely not the best method. The ink seems to leave a permanent stain. Which is a good and bad thing, I suppose, depending on your intentions. I hope more people experiment and post some more success stories!

EDIT: Ani_BEE, I'm surprised you didn't get consistent color! I used a spray bottle and have dyed 3 or 4 of them for tutorial's sake, using both 70% and 90% Alcohol (70% is best I found - more shiny) and have gotten the results above - no streaking at all. What method are you using to put the dye on the wig?

Last edited by Jia Jem : 01-15-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: found pic!
Jia Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

See although I tested the dye batch first and it took the dye fine, I tried to do the in the ziplock dye method used with alcohol based ink for this 60" wig.

Despite combing it through and letting it hang dry, from my observation the hair wicked the dye out from the center of the hair group in to the outside leaving only the lavender tint to it.

In this case and point I didn't want to mess to much with a 60" and I only have a tiny shower to use in my bachelor apartment for the dying process.

Basically it was the method that failed here rather than the dye since you can clearly see the proper shade did take in certain spots. >_<

FanEXPO

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
Kimchi_Kutie93

do you think this would work if the wig is dyed with sharpie ink? Im really hoping it doesnt leave like a colored undertone ;A;
Kimchi_Kutie93 is offline   Reply With Quote