Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Casa Collection Satin @ Joann's

This might not be in the right area but, does anyone know anything about the casa satins at Joann fabrics? Is it currently unavailable online because it's out of stock or being discontinued and is it still available in stores?

Last edited by Mykaios : 12-28-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Zaiten

I'm in Texas and I just bought some about a month ago and there was plenty to choose from in store. Didn't say anything about being discontinued at the time.

Facebook Page: Zaiten
Fun cosplay updates: tumblr
Serious cosplay updates: deviantART

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Zaiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

It seems to be labeled as "Casa Collection Taffeta", not "Casa Satin". If you run a search for Casa Collection (which is how these fabrics are labeled in store, too), it comes up and shows as in stock.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
It seems to be labeled as "Casa Collection Taffeta", not "Casa Satin". If you run a search for Casa Collection (which is how these fabrics are labeled in store, too), it comes up and shows as in stock.
The casa collection is a line of fabrics (satins, linings, taffeta, crepe, lace, chiffon etc). There is usually a huge aisle with the entire casa collection.

http://www.joann.com/casa-collection...olors/prd7208/

Last edited by Mykaios : 12-28-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

That is super weird... I love using Casa Collection. Let's hope it's not gone and if it is that they replace it with a better line of fabrics.
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
That is super weird... I love using Casa Collection. Let's hope it's not gone and if it is that they replace it with a better line of fabrics.
Yeah, you can't get a search result for satin or much of anything int he collection but you can pull up the pages using google - which says "This item is no longer available." :c
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

I hope they don't discontinue it - they have a really nice variety of fabrics. My only issue with the Collection was when I was trying to get a very specific shade of color but other than that I and many other cosplayers have used those fabrics for a lot of costumes!

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

So, I had asked about this via Joann's facebook page and it seems that they're still in stock in stores but they're currently working with their buyers to restock the line of fabrics. There isn't a word on it being discontinued or being replaced or anything yet. They said they're going to recheck with their buyers tomorrow for any more information. But at the moment, the stores have what they have, so perhaps you guys might want to stock up and buy what you can (and use coupons) just in case!

I'll post again when I get a word!
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
Darkdreamyr
Lost Cause

Still huge amounts at mine here in CA. Went to two stores today looking for the right color moleskin (still only got one of the two) and there's whole aisles of the stuff here.
Darkdreamyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime no Toki View Post
I hope they don't discontinue it - they have a really nice variety of fabrics. My only issue with the Collection was when I was trying to get a very specific shade of color but other than that I and many other cosplayers have used those fabrics for a lot of costumes!
Agreed. I had some nightmares trying to pick out fabric for my Ariel gown, though when I used it for my Twilight Sparkle dress, the colours were practically perfect!

If they do end up doing a re-vamp of the line, I hope it just ends up being an extension that includes more colours!
  • Secret Cosplay (???): 1% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) MAGfest 2015

DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdreamyr View Post
Still huge amounts at mine here in CA. Went to two stores today looking for the right color moleskin (still only got one of the two) and there's whole aisles of the stuff here.
Well, yes. Since it's a line of fabric there's a good long aisle or two of them. But it IS "no longer available online" so one would think that the warehouse/s don't have any in stock to even ship to stores on truck day. Which means, at the moment whether abundant or not, the stores have whatever they have and no more.

I hope they add more colors too. I sometimes have to go into the costume satins for more colors, but most of them are super shiny. I really like the casa collections since there's a range of shiny-ness, just not exactly a range of colors like the symphony broadcloth.
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Emrys

Take it from someone in the field: websites are not always a good indicator of what is actually available. If you keep an eye on the weekly sales flyer/newspaper ads you'll probably find it listed there sooner or later. (Story time: One art store stopped listing a specific brand of face paint on their website and I panicked thinking they were not going to carry it anymore. They still carry it everywhere, but it took them a few months to get the website up to date. They were adding more colors and stuff, but for some reason the listing was taken down for a long time during that update.)

They could be updating the website, or it could be a clerical error when they last updated stock, or that line could be listed under a new name. Or they may have just stopped offering to sell it online for the time being but it should still available in stores. The Casa Collection seems to be a staple product for Joann's, and they always have huge sales on it come prom season so I can't imagine stores would suddenly stop carrying it.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
Take it from someone in the field: websites are not always a good indicator of what is actually available. If you keep an eye on the weekly sales flyer/newspaper ads you'll probably find it listed there sooner or later. (Story time: One art store stopped listing a specific brand of face paint on their website and I panicked thinking they were not going to carry it anymore. They still carry it everywhere, but it took them a few months to get the website up to date. They were adding more colors and stuff, but for some reason the listing was taken down for a long time during that update.)

They could be updating the website, or it could be a clerical error when they last updated stock, or that line could be listed under a new name. Or they may have just stopped offering to sell it online for the time being but it should still available in stores. The Casa Collection seems to be a staple product for Joann's, and they always have huge sales on it come prom season so I can't imagine stores would suddenly stop carrying it.

Right, though I did contact them directly and as mentioned they are in contact with their buyers to restock it.
Unread 01-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Rainbow Muffins
Ruler of Muffins

I work at a Joann's here in Virginia, and we alllllllways have Casa Collection. My store gets shipments every few days a week, and with the casa, sometimes we have too much to even fit up on the shelves.

I don't think Casa Collection will ever leave, cause it's something that we sell a lot of.
So don't worry~

Otakon '12
New York Comic Con '12
Nekocon '12

future cosplay's:
Pirate!Spain - Hetalia (50%)
Eridan Ampora - Homestuck (50%)
Secret cosplay (0%) [Ota '12]

Rainbow Muffins is offline   Reply With Quote