Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
AmuletCross

Kagamine Rin cosplay help

I'm going to be making a Kagamine Rin cosplay and I have some questions~~

1. Fabric stores don't let you cut a specific width, I need to make her belt but I don't want to buy a whole meter of fabric just to use like a 10cm x 100cm portion of it... Any suggestions? >< I also don't know how I should do the diamonds on it, I don't really want to use fabric glue cuz it's so messy, should I just hand sew all of them from some yellow cloth?

2. What can I use for the circle stereo things on her leg warmers, I saw a fabric that could be good but it was so expensivvvee~~ are there any alternatives? And how could I cut it in an perfect circle?

3. How long should the rolled up triangle (her bow) be? Is a 1m width triangle too much? I don't want to make the whole thing and realize it's too long or something...

4. How do I do the music note on her chest, I was using this http://thecosplaychronicles.blogspot...-kagamine.html for guidance but I don't understand how she used velvet to make the music note ><

5. For the belt, I bought this kind of thing - http://www.strapworks.com/v/vspfiles...nw-350x250.jpg except I don't understand how it works, I don't even think I bought the right thing for the belt... x)

As you can tell I am a complete noob at making cosplay =w=~
Sunday: AKB0048 Group cosplay as Tonomi

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rinrindesuu
AmuletCross is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

1. Nope, you don't have to buy a whole meter, or yard, of fabric. Most stores will let you buy partial yards (or partial meters). It depends on the store; the stores around me will sell 1/8 yard as the smallest increment. They will also sell 1/2, 1/3, 3/4, 2/3, or 1/3. You will, however, be forced to buy the entire width of the bolt, usually 44 inches or 60 inches, depending. Some stores, especially online vendors, however, have strict 1-yard or 1/2 yard minimum orders, in which case, you have no choice but to buy that amount. As for the triangles (I assume this is what you mean by 'diamonds'), my preferred method for that sort of thing is Heat-n'Bond followed up by machine overcast applique. You could paint them on, as well.

2. Your reference photo doesn't really shows this in any sort of detail, so I cannot provide very much advice, however, it is simple to cut perfect circles - trace a plate. If it needs to be bigger or smaller than the size of the plate, then measure a few inches from the original line you drew.

3. I assume you mean the yellow scarf under the sailor collar? Measure around the neckline of the shirt, under the collar, and add about 10 inches to that measurement to account for material used tying the knot. This will be the diagonal length of the scarf. If the scarf is to be a regular square, a simple bit of math will give you the length of the two sides. If it's too big, just trim it down. Of course, if it's too small, there's not much you can do about it, unfortunately. Make a practice one, if you can, until you are sure what size you want.

4. I'd advise cutting a stencil and painting it on, or printing one out on photo-transfer iron-on paper. You can get this sort of thing at most craft stores, and sometimes at office-supply/printing supply stores. Incidentally, if you are looking for a pattern to print out or trace onto a stencil, look for a G-clef, or treble clef (not a music note!).

5. That is a basic D-ring belt. Go though both D rings, fold the belt back over the second D-ring, and go back through the first. It can then be easily adjusted/cinched for tighter or looser fit.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
AmuletCross

wahh thank you very much! that was really helpful >< <3
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
AmuletCross

Okay I'm making the legwarmers right now, (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...gamine_Rin.jpg) her legs are really long, and well... actual legs aren't that long, and i can't fit the speakers + "electric voice system" text, do you think it's okay to just leave out the text?
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
xxbabyjenksxx
Akatsuki Cloud Envy

I had the same issue I just made everything smaller in size when it came to the text and speakers.

(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination(I did)

DeviantArt:
http://ichiruhatake.deviantart.com/ - more pics of cosplays

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/xxbabyjenks666xx - amvs and con slide shows
xxbabyjenksxx is offline   Reply With Quote