Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
erickste
Team Alois

Help with Dress Pattern!

Hey guys, my head hurts and I need some help. Nuff said.

So my friends are hopping on the bandwagon and doing a lolita Avengers cosplay based off of this fanart: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ma0pyQM4AH...ows3o1_500.jpg

Of course, I choose to be Loki who always seems to have the hardest outfit. I know this has been done plenty of times before so I'm desperately looking for any bit of advice I can get on what kind of patterns to use for this dress.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to buy the underskirt so I don't have to worry about that, but my biggest problem is the top. Is it possible to put together two different patterns? Like, if I found an off shoulder dress, cut the bottom into panels and then added a halter collar from...say a vest or shirt pattern?

Instant love to whoever gives me the best answer.
Thanks!
erickste is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

It's definitely possible to piece together different patterns to get what you want!

For the skirt, I'd look for a lolita-style pattern, or maybe try some costume ones (ex, Alice in Wonderland, that would have a shorter/poofy skirt). The green criss-cross part I would make more like a corset, which could be put on over top of a shirt made with that halter neck and princess seams.

This design is so cute, I'd love to see photos once you've figured it out!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
erickste
Team Alois

Well, at first I was thinking about just buying the skirt off fanplusfriend. But then I realized, with a petticoat, custom color and shipping, it's gonna cost me a heap of money. So I've come up with these options: I bought this pattern to use for the bodice part, and for the overlayer skirt: https://ny-image2.etsy.com/002/0/594...25870_khny.jpg. I would just have to shorten it and cut panels instead, and if I'm clever enough to figure out how to give that beast a waistband, I can use that same pattern to make the underskirt so that it's nice and full.

Then I thought I could incorporate the collar part of this: http://www.simplicity.com/p-7066-burda-style-dress.aspx to the top of the dress, make it a halter collar, and hope that it turns out to be a successful experiment! I've just learned to do basic sewing in the past couple of years so I'm definitely no pro at this.
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
erickste
Team Alois

Oh! And better yet, I was kinda upset to know that I can't use the bodice to the second dress because it's just so flattering, I realized I can use the middle as a base for the woven corset. Score!