Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Invisible zipper on fitted top and odd sleeves.

This is a odd duck of a project in terms of patterning
http://www.animevice.com/humanity-ha...ned/83-578527/
http://www.animevice.com/humanity-ha...ned/83-578532/
http://blog.hachimitsu.org/wp-conten...02. 32.32.jpg

Originally I was think the dress was one piece but the top top seem to be separate and a form fitted sailor shirt. >_<

So I'm thinking for my sanity to run the invisible zipper along the side seem but my question is dose it mater which direction it would open. I was thinking of running it open upward and close going down to hid the tab.

The sleeve to me looks like their on long sleeve then another puff sleeve over them and attached to the shoulder seam for both. Does that make sense? I could not for the life of me find stretch fabric in that shade so I'll be cutting the sleeve on a bias to give it a little bit more stretch as well in the cotton fabric I got.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 01-02-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I'm not really sure what your question is here. Everything you said sounds like it should work. (:
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
xxbabyjenksxx
Akatsuki Cloud Envy

I would say the costume is definitely two pieces, a jumper and undershirt.

If your costume is going to be a separate shirt and jumper then I would say it would make the most since to put the zipper on the back of the jumper and have it close going upwards. But if you are set on putting it on the side then it should definitely close downwards so that if anything the clasp doesn't catch on your sleeve and rip anything.

As for the shirt sleeve it looks to be all one piece with the part you're talking about being a bunch in the fabric rather then a separate sleeve itself. If you want it to look just like the picture though you will need to do two separate sleeves as otherwise you will need to make the sleeve a bit too long and push part of it up under itself to make it look like that.

(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination(I did)

DeviantArt:
http://ichiruhatake.deviantart.com/ - more pics of cosplays

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/xxbabyjenks666xx - amvs and con slide shows
xxbabyjenksxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Penlowe

I agree that it looks like a blouse and a jumper*. The jumper can have an ordinary back zipper, but it is pleasantly short because the jumper stops just about the shoulder blades in back. The bow will tie over the zipper, hiding most of it. I may have a jumper pattern, I'll go look in a bit.

The blouse isn't necessarily fitted, it's just tucked in to a fitted jumper. Make sure the tail of the blouse is long enough to hike up your skirt and give it a tug after a lot of movement to keep tidy. The longer the shirt tail, the less upward creep you will have.

I think your sleeve plan is a good one, mostly. I would not carry the tight fit sleeve all the way to the shoulder, it will likely restrict your movement severely. I'd attach it at the top of the cuff (bottom of the puffed section). You might look through Vogue patterns for a close fit sleeve to borrow from rather than trying to work it out from scratch.

You are on the right track!

* a skirt with a bib front attached. or a dress designed to have a blouse underneath, think very small childrens school uniforms.
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Penlowe

yup, here it is:

jumper by Penlowe, on Flickr

This pattern is dated 1978, the "size 10" (HA!) is 32 1/2" bust, 25" waist.
This pattern has no zipper at all, it's semi fitted and the bow is structural, it actually gathers up the back some when you tie it. it has the right lines though, PM me if you are interested.
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
I agree that it looks like a blouse and a jumper*. The jumper can have an ordinary back zipper, but it is pleasantly short because the jumper stops just about the shoulder blades in back. The bow will tie over the zipper, hiding most of it. I may have a jumper pattern, I'll go look in a bit.

The blouse isn't necessarily fitted, it's just tucked in to a fitted jumper. Make sure the tail of the blouse is long enough to hike up your skirt and give it a tug after a lot of movement to keep tidy. The longer the shirt tail, the less upward creep you will have.

I think your sleeve plan is a good one, mostly. I would not carry the tight fit sleeve all the way to the shoulder, it will likely restrict your movement severely. I'd attach it at the top of the cuff (bottom of the puffed section). You might look through Vogue patterns for a close fit sleeve to borrow from rather than trying to work it out from scratch.

You are on the right track!

* a skirt with a bib front attached. or a dress designed to have a blouse underneath, think very small childrens school uniforms.

Yep planning a regular back zipper for the jumper. It was the shirt I was worried about where to put a zipper as in my head i though it needed to be fitted.

Here's a proper picture of her back fro reference.
http://www.animevice.com/humanity-ha...n_1/83-563946/
Because of the sailor collar I was thinking it would have to be fitted and zippered (along the side to get it on) and most sailor school tops are loose looking to me.
The design doesn't have a seem along the front as well.

I like you idea on the sleeves as it would give the illusion of that two piece. I've drafted up puff sleeves before but this is the first time I've seen joined one like this.

That pattern if great for the top but her skirt is a fuller one. But defiantly a stretch in pattern sizes I'm something like a 22 or 24 for the small fitting range they have. >_<

I'm going to have to draft the top section up (a first for me) as there was nothing really that works now in today patterns.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 01-03-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote