Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #31
Limeyaku
First-Mate

Also note it has LONG ( past the chin ) bangs. They can easily be worked back into the braid or brushed in with the rest of the hair but they come from the center of the wig net. Its only a ... pinhead? I don't remember what they call it... skin top. Meaning just the center circle is 'skin'. This also makes it a bit tricky to part on the side. I have some netting showing where I did it and will probably add some extra hair there...
Limeyaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #32
Leslie2004

Thanks for all the great tips! I did end up getting this wig. Holy c*** does it tangle (no pun intended). It's not done, but it's looking not too shabby for my very first time working with a wig.

I did end up using extensions that did not match, but the flowers did a great job hiding the thin areas.

You can see the rest of my costume (as well as the WONDERFUL Pascal my friend made for me) on my blog. I would loooove feedback since this is my first cosplay.

http://sewlesliecrafts.blogspot.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hair.jpg (127.8 KB, 0 views)
Leslie2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #33
Leslie2004

Thanks everyone for the input! I did end up buying two of the wigs and using hair extensions. The flowers did a pretty good job covering the thin areas. You guys weren't kidding when you said it tangled like mad! (no pun intended). For future reference, is this normal for synthetic wigs or can anyone recommend a brand or material that works better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(2).JPG (140.3 KB, 0 views)

In Progress:
Kunimitsu - Tekken Tag 2
Unread 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #34
Leslie2004

Sorry for the multiple posts. After 24 hours I figured it wasn't going to get posted. Apologies.

In Progress:
Kunimitsu - Tekken Tag 2
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
soraxriku4eva
hunts for the yaoi...

I'm stuck!!! i don't want to wear the braided version of the wig... because everyone seems to do that one... yes i know i am setting myself up for a tangled wig of doom and all but since this is my first EVER properly girly cosplay i have done in the 5 years that i have cosplayed i am really looking forward to having a long haired cosplay besides i deal with almost waist length hair anyway (its the wrong colour for Rapunzel so no suggestions to use my own hair please) so the use of detangle spray is not a new thing to me.... my question...

suitable wig? thats a decent length? and of decent quality...

im thinking of this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Long-H... em3cbddc7a9a

as once i convert the currency it will be fairly within my budget...

thoughts??
soraxriku4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #36
FinalFantasyXKH
Princess Summon Dagger

I'm preparing to rip my hair out making this braid, guys. I've got a limited amount of hair and I have no idea how I am going to disperse it and thicken. I can't get any extentions for the wig because I am broke, and I've got til the 13th.

And @soraxriku4eva it looks a good length, though I can assure you, it will be a disastrous mess haha. I have a shorter wig than that and it's good quality and it tangles SO easily. But if you can keep it up, go for it!
Kairi School Uniform from Kingdom Hearts 2:100% done
Kairi zippered dress from Kingdom Hearts 2: 100% done
Garnet/ Dagger jumpsuit from Final Fantasy IX:100% done
Shiki from The World Ends With You: 100% done
Rapunzel from Tangled: 99% done
Padme Amidala White Jumpsuit from Star Wars Attack of the Clones: 50% done

PLANNED COSPLAYS
Kisala's "Light Suit" from Rogue Galaxy

CONVENTIONS
Sacanime Con
Fanime Con
FinalFantasyXKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #37
protectorkorii

soraxriku4eva- that looks good but as long as you are willing to deal with the tangles...

FinalFantasyXKH- what method are you using? I'm making my own wig right now so if you want help I'd be glad to help you! I have a limited about of hair and only a few extensions.... so I MAY be able to help ! You can PM me or we can chat on here.
protectorkorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
kiggi

sora, i have http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html i have worn it down @ disney 2x, for many halloween parties, and general around just because and yes, it did tangle, but not that bad really. i used lots of detangler and brushed it out carefully and braided it between wearings, but it was fine. when i was in the car it was tied with ribbon in intervals just to help it from happening too bad when i could avoid it. i planned on making hte huge braid, but i too love the free flowing hair! i had fiber optics in mine to glow, and maybe the strips of batting i had to hide the black battery packs helped in the long run in making it not tangle, but yeah, i like wearing it a way no one else seems to i may eventually finish netting a fine tube shaped hairnet to keep it more contained and that may work? who knows.

here is me and my husband and son despite his look he loves being pascal, and i will be sad that he wont fit in it next year

Last edited by kiggi : 03-02-2012 at 06:33 PM.
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #39
FinalFantasyXKH
Princess Summon Dagger

My wig was made from taking a normal-thickness 60" (I think it was 60, might have been 50) wig and wrapping it around cotton batting. I twisted the batting and then wrapped the hair around it, and sewed the batting together, then to hold it in place, sewed parts of the hair to the wig. Then I took a 3rd braid I had made (I dont know how to explain it) and wrapped it around that. Then voila, glue on a couple hundred flowers, and its done!

Kairi School Uniform from Kingdom Hearts 2:100% done
Kairi zippered dress from Kingdom Hearts 2: 100% done
Garnet/ Dagger jumpsuit from Final Fantasy IX:100% done
Shiki from The World Ends With You: 100% done
Rapunzel from Tangled: 99% done
Padme Amidala White Jumpsuit from Star Wars Attack of the Clones: 50% done

PLANNED COSPLAYS
Kisala's "Light Suit" from Rogue Galaxy

CONVENTIONS
Sacanime Con
Fanime Con
FinalFantasyXKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #40
soraxriku4eva
hunts for the yaoi...

thanks for your pointers guys =]

- kiggy i have looked at that wig or at least a very similar one on ebay so i will probably go for that one =] thanks for the pointers
soraxriku4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #41
Dizko

Uh, hi! ;u;
I don't know if this thread is still active or anything, but I was planning to cosplay Rapunzel with just the hair down, not braided or anything.
So, I came across this wig!

It looks pretty good, but I was wondering what colour I should get it in?
Gold blonde looks good, but so does Light Gold Blonde! ;u;
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #42
kiggi

i like the light gold blonde. i used this one (see pic above for in person color) http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html the silver streaks were fiber optics i put in it... those normally arent there
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #43
Ladyious

Can someone tell me how exactly did she do this? I read her comments, she said she sew kanekalon wigs together. But omg, this is amazing! http://fav.me/d5fhzzu

That's in deviant art.
Ladyious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #44
Anders
Lurking Lurker

Smile

so um

I don't know whether this thread is still active, but I'm planning a Rapunzel costume for May and the info here has been really helpful. I think I'm going to go for multiple purchases of this or this wig, one sewn in to the other with some jumbo braid extensions and some quilt batting. Which wig do you guys think is best?

My real wonder though, is where you get all those artificial flowers~ I'm British, so no Jo-Anns, and shipping is usually astronomical from American websites. I was looking at wholesale from China but there must be an easier way I'm missing. Most job lots on eBay come in sets of two dozen or more, which is just too many of the same flower. Any thoughts? Thanks
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #45
RapunzelHime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeyaku View Post
Wow. I totally forgot this thread existed! Time to contribute!!!

First off...That's the one I used!

In terms of thickness, I'd say it's very good as far as wigs go. At least compared to others I've worked with. Wigs in general are never very thick. Example, if you put a tie around one wig, the ponytail would be thicker than the average persons. Because the colour is actually a bit of a mixed tone, I don't think it will be easy to find extensions that match ONLINE...but if they're in the middle or underneath close-enough will be fine.

Now, a few points...

1. If you're planning on wearing it loose, one will be fine. Especially on a budget. But if you're wearing it out for Halloween, it's going to tangle and need high maintenance. If you're planning on putting it into a braid, you'll need at LEAST 4 for an accurate one. 2 wigs will probably give you a braid about 3 inches wide. I used foam tubes for my base and still needed FOUR wigs to properly cover them. Too bad, since I was planning on still having one loose to wear down.

2. It does not look the colour on screen. It's much more or a natural blonde in person. In some light's it photographs a bit darker than I would like, but usually with flash it has a beautiful golden blonde to it.

3. It does tangle something fierce!!! It was ALMOST hell to separate the sections to wrap and braid etc etc etc. I had to dig up a LOT of patience. Even if you're leaving it long and straight, you'll find the same thing when you try to separate the wefts from one wig and separate them in the base to sew the additional wefts in. Though I found the easiest way to cut the one wig apart was to lay it flat, fresh out of the bag, wig cap laying down ( so, the netting part that goes on your head facing up ) and cut from the bottom wefts up, lifting them off the base wig 1 by 1 as you go.

4. If you're doing the braid, you will need a lot more than 2 wigs.

One wig worn down with flash:

Looks more dark gold here:

Four wigs, 3 foam tubes, a can of hairspray and an eternity of patience later:

Good luck! If you have any other questions, let me know.
Wow!! What a fabulous post, thank you! Can you tell me about how heavy the wig is? I'm planning to go as Rapunzel for the Disney Princess Half Marathon and definitely want a wig, but the weight could be an issue. Thanks in advance!!
RapunzelHime is offline   Reply With Quote