Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1177 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #56536
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

I really cannot wait for tax time now! I've been planning on ordering my TOS science dress for a while now. Recently I added getting a couple of yards of fabric from Spoonflower. Now I've added making a new coat for Harry Dresden. I recently found out that he does not wear a duster. He wears an Inverness coat! Today I found a Simplicty pattern for an Inverness coat. I can make myself a new canvas coat for under $35! I'm thinking next year I'll look into commissioning a leather one, now that I know the type of coat I need.

Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #56537
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogoeth05 View Post
I really cannot wait for tax time now! I've been planning on ordering my TOS science dress for a while now. Recently I added getting a couple of yards of fabric from Spoonflower. Now I've added making a new coat for Harry Dresden. I recently found out that he does not wear a duster. He wears an Inverness coat! Today I found a Simplicty pattern for an Inverness coat. I can make myself a new canvas coat for under $35! I'm thinking next year I'll look into commissioning a leather one, now that I know the type of coat I need.
If you find a place to commission a leather Inverness coat, please share. I got my husband a leather duster for Christmas, but the latest book introduced the idea of the Inverness coat *shakes fist at Jim Butcher* and I'd love to find an accurate one. We are basing the costume for him off Harry from the earlier books, with the original staff, replacement shield bracelet, but the newer style pendant (with the added stone). Pretty sure he'll look like Dresden, even if we can't find The mythical black leather Inverness coat.

For the time being, I'm looking into commissioning a replacement mantle for the duster I did get him. He's got the shoulders of a linebacker, and unfortunately the mantle on the duster stands up like Saiyan armor shoulder pads from DBZ at current.

1950s Celestia (MLP:FiM), Lorna Dane Serval Industries (X-Factor)
Adult Loki (Loki: Agent of Asgard), 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #56538
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

My dad gave me his old tripod since he took my grandmother's newer and better tripod.

I now have a tripod/wig stand! Weeeeee! 8D
Kenshin 2.0 (Rurouni Kenshin) - 0%

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #56539
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Ducky View Post
If you find a place to commission a leather Inverness coat, please share. I got my husband a leather duster for Christmas, but the latest book introduced the idea of the Inverness coat *shakes fist at Jim Butcher* and I'd love to find an accurate one. We are basing the costume for him off Harry from the earlier books, with the original staff, replacement shield bracelet, but the newer style pendant (with the added stone). Pretty sure he'll look like Dresden, even if we can't find The mythical black leather Inverness coat.

For the time being, I'm looking into commissioning a replacement mantle for the duster I did get him. He's got the shoulders of a linebacker, and unfortunately the mantle on the duster stands up like Saiyan armor shoulder pads from DBZ at current.
Will do! I will probably be shouting it from the rooftops so all frustrated Dresdens can finally get the right coat.

My first thought when I read that was "AN INVERNESS COAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #56540
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogoeth05 View Post
Will do! I will probably be shouting it from the rooftops so all frustrated Dresdens can finally get the right coat.

My first thought when I read that was "AN INVERNESS COAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
To be fair, I think he's always worn a duster previous to this (first the canvas one, and then the leather one that Susan gave him). The latest iteration is an Inverness coat. And since black leather ones are impossible to find, I'm just going to blame the Fae for it, since it was almost certainly a custom job in universe as well.

Aaanyway... My Dresden is wearing a duster for this Dragon*Con, because we have to start somewhere :P

1950s Celestia (MLP:FiM), Lorna Dane Serval Industries (X-Factor)
Adult Loki (Loki: Agent of Asgard), 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #56541
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Picture up of Pascal. It was fun running around with that scarf of hers. However, something seems...off about the cosplay. Sure I'm not done yet but still, there's something...not right and it's bugging me. >_<

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #56542
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Rocky morning today trying to get everything ready for the new quarter (I teach 8 AM on Monday bluhhhh) and pack for Sac Anime this evening.

Things are starting to look up, though, so I'm staying positive!

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #56543
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

Oh crikey I am having so many unhappy Sailor Moon feels right now ;___;

I want to cosplay Zoisite so badly but I can't until I fix my sewing machine.
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Brokkenbroll-Un Lun Dun, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #56544
Sui Kune
I've got a can opener!

Aww, did I miss the boat on the topic of sewing machine recommendation/gushing? XD

Well, here goes anyway. Mine is a Pfaff Creative 1471 that was originally my mom's, complete with matching serger. (I really need to find that sucker again and actually practice on it, I've just been using my sewing mentor's serger.) I can't even describe how utterly beautiful a machine it is, and it's older than I am! (I'm 26 this coming August.) It's heavy, has a crapton of pre-programmed special stitches (including some simple embroidery), a built-in walking foot, and it is a beast. I swear this thing can sew through almost anything.

Like my Messiah of Silence skirt. Outside is suedecloth, lining is a little-heavier-than-shirtweight cotton sateen, with knife-pleated ruffles sandwiched in between in the hem. (I've since lost count of how many layers that was, but it was a lot.) The machine did complain a bit, but my god did it do a beautiful job with the added bonus of not bursting into flames.

Of course, the downside to an old machine being so awesome is that it pretty much holds its original retail value, so if I needed to replace it, I'd need to shell out $600-700. If I ever needed to though, I know it's worth every single cent.
☆ Sailor Saturn [Sailormoon S]
☆ Tomoe Hotaru [Mugen Gakuen Junior High Uniform]

沈黙のセーラー戦士、セーラーサターン!
Sui Kune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #56545
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Well...this sucks.

I got pink eye sometime yesterday, probably just before trying on my wigs because my eye looks redish in the pictures. So now I need to wash all the wigs I tried on yesterday because I don't want to risk it. I don't suppose I could just spray disinfectant on them? I'll probably have to do that for Seymour since that be difficult to wash.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #56546
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

Even though the convention is like, five months away, I've got serious con fever already after discussing the M'gann and Artemis costumes with a friend for like, three hours consecutively. I'm sort of waffling between buying the wig and dying my hair (HEADACHES, BRO), but either way...ah. CONVENTION COUNTDOWN.
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #56547
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I think my mom actually complimented a cosplay-related thing without a negative comment attached to it. 0_0 I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. She says my fb profile picture(The Morgiana picture with the flying hair) looks really cool. What in the world is going on here...

Also realized that I need to get to a fabric store and get my sister those zippers she needs. The con is next weekend and she isn't ready yet.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #56548
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Off to Sac Anime! Wee!

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #56549
Curucar

Ug. Cosplay slump. I had to put 95% of my costuming work on hold for the holidays, and totally blew the deadline I had set for myself. Now that all the family madness has passed, I *still* don't feel like finishing that scalemaille, even though I only have one sleeve left. My previous motivator-- OMG SO MUCH TO DO IN SO LITTLE TIME-- isn't working right now. :-/
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #56550
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

....okay. How I manged this I will never know.
But I...somehow managed to make myself excited over revamping part of a cosplay for an event.

So...all you Death Note fans...remind me to get photos.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote