Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Xekaz
Ruler of Empherie

Need a Helmet Design made. (Drawing)

I am looking for someone who can draw well, to design a Helmet for me.
This is not for any cosplay, it is for my career. I am a music artist, and wish to have my own image.
I'm looking for someone who can design a custom helmet with a futuristic style. I all ready have someone to make it for around 150$.
I want it to be sort or a daft punk or tron style, just futuristic.
After being made it will be used at all my concerts, music videos, and cons as well even.
I dont have much more information other then that to give- maybe a few small details might help..
I do Electronic music
Want futuristic style including LED
Color: chrome, silver, black, or any metalic colors.
At the moment my PC is not around for a while, so being here on mobile is horrid. So i'd be best if i could be contacted by message on here or Skype: "Xekaz//" (without quotations)

Thanks soo much to anyone willing to help! If you need anything else such as details then just contact me. I'll love you forever cause i cant draw ><

I'm also not soo big on the idea of paying fr image(s), but the most i can do is promote you on my channel (I'm Youtube partner & work for Machinima), and give you credit for the design, but other then that there's not much i can do-
Xekaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
Noose

I feel like this would do a lot better on the marketplace boards.

Also, you're trying to commission an artist to spend time and skill on making a product you plan to make money from, or at least be promoted by. If you can't pay a professional artist to do work for you (as a professional music maker), you shouldn't expect quality. If you're gonna pay a commissioner to make you a helmet, you should feel a little ashamed trying to get an artist to design it for free. However, I wish you luck in your search.
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Xekaz
Ruler of Empherie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noose View Post
I feel like this would do a lot better on the marketplace boards.

Also, you're trying to commission an artist to spend time and skill on making a product you plan to make money from, or at least be promoted by. If you can't pay a professional artist to do work for you (as a professional music maker), you shouldn't expect quality. If you're gonna pay a commissioner to make you a helmet, you should feel a little ashamed trying to get an artist to design it for free. However, I wish you luck in your search.
I'm not asking for a full blown masterpiece, or something made in Cinema4D, just a simple exterior sketch. Also, if i happen to chose that design by the given person, they WOULD be paid greatly, along with complete credit.

MomoCon 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXdB5yKpDBg

Cosplay Page:
https://www.facebook.com/XekazCosplayu

Hatcore!
www.hatcore.com
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Wait..You're not big on the idea of PAYING FOR A COMMISSION!! What is wrong with you? You don't have anyone use their time and skill on ANYTHING and expect it to be free. If a commissioner saw this and you had a price then said "naw I'll be nice it's free" that's one thing, but NEVER expect someone to do any type of commission for you for nothing whatsoever. That is very rude and actually a complete INSULT to all commissioners. I would say good luck, but I don't feel you deserve it with that kind of mindset.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Xekaz
Ruler of Empherie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Wait..You're not big on the idea of PAYING FOR A COMMISSION!! What is wrong with you? You don't have anyone use their time and skill on ANYTHING and expect it to be free. If a commissioner saw this and you had a price then said "naw I'll be nice it's free" that's one thing, but NEVER expect someone to do any type of commission for you for nothing whatsoever. That is very rude and actually a complete INSULT to all commissioners. I would say good luck, but I don't feel you deserve it with that kind of mindset.
Bit much don't you think? An insult to all commissioners because i'd rather not pay for a simple pencil drawing? You are just a troll. I don't believe it would take someones entire day. Again, i'm not asking for an entire masterpiece. Not even a complete drawing, like i said, "a sketch". So no, i don't believe in paying someone for a simple pencil/pen sketch. That's a bit much. If i were to pay i'd expect more from THEM. So leave your unwanted hatred to someone else, thank you.

MomoCon 2013:

Cosplay Page:

Hatcore!
www.hatcore.com
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Rurouni-Idoru

It's really not a "bit much" to call it an insult to all commissioners when you're essentially saying "I put no value in your work, but do it for me anyway."

Design is WORK. I know a lot of people are under this bizarre impression that design work "doesn't count" or whatever, but an artist's time has value, the same way a mechanic's time does, or a plumber's time does.

Would you ask an architect to design a building for you for nothing? They're not building the building, after all, they just have to figure out down to details what it would look like according to the client's desires, and make sure that it would be possible to achieve in reality without bending the laws of physics or collapsing in upon itself or being completely out of the client's budget.

That's the sort of work you're asking for here, just replace the "building" with a helmet that you're presumably going to be wearing on your head, so I assume you want it to be functionally possible. An artist's work might not be the actual building stage, but it's still worth money. It's a job, that takes time and thought and knowledge of their craft. It's not a doodle.
Rurouni-Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Millions_Knives

i like how whoever you got to make this
has no idea what they are making
it is kinda sad that some skilled 2d artists will work for next to nothing
please take note that your requests have been regarded as disrespectful
by several people over other request in the past
consider that this prospective of personal value toward others work
or possibly your phasing is the trigger for this anger
even if your intentions are fair
your approach lacks tact

TY
good times to all
it is the largest collection of cosplay tutorials and cosplay fun on youtube.
Millions_Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Xekaz
Ruler of Empherie

I don't care to respond to each indevidually, on monile, responding is slow.
Anyway, again, to make myself redundant, i'm not asking for a masterpiece. Just a simple sketch.
Here's an example of one someone else made me:
http://gyazo.com/36011f1a27bbcd80d1b7488232b03ccb

So as you see, in picture form so no one is confused, this is what i expect made. Not a 3D drawing with blueprints.
I do GFX and i still don't charge people. If i drew, i wouldn't even expect someone to pay for for such simplistic ideas.

I've even given a picture so you could easily understand. So i don't know how to make it any easier to understand.. So i'm done explaining. I've made my point. I'm doing nothing wrong nor insulting. So you may take whatever part of this out of proportion as you wish, i care not for such exageration.

MomoCon 2013:

Cosplay Page:

Hatcore!
www.hatcore.com
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Sorry mate, but I'm with everyone else here. You're asking for someone to spend time designing something for you where you have little in the way of what you're looking for. You're asking someone to use their design skills and their own artistic influence to create something for you, free of charge?

The prop community works in kind. Nobody expects anything for free, not even a sketch. You could at least try bargaining. You say you do GFX, why don't you offer a trade?
(I'm also curious how you can do GFX if you can't draw your own sketch)

Maybe you should try DeviantArt and find a sketch artist taking free commissions, instead of a group of costumers.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
Noose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Maybe you should try DeviantArt and find a sketch artist taking free commissions, instead of a group of costumers.
I'm with this. There's a (very slim) potential that you might be able to run across someone who is only interested in building their portfolio to get into art school or get long term employment. If you can find someone like this, probably through boards or the devArt communities people form, they could design it for free.
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #11
Rurouni-Idoru

Your request really seems to be for a bunch of people to draw a picture of a helmet, and whichever you think is the coolest one "wins." The problem with this approach is that farming your brainstorming and work out to amateurs/hobbyists/hopefuls and only actually paying the one you use is not business. That's not how it's done. If you honestly hired all these people, you'd need to pay them for the work they put in whether you decided to go with it or not.

What you seem to be doing (I think without realizing it) is holding a design contest. Why not just run with that? Plenty of real-world companies hold logo design contests or the like; people know what they're getting into when they enter a contest, no one expects it to be a job. Instead of your current approach, why not actually have a contest? You mentioned a Youtube channel that the winner would get promoted on, and payment for the person whose design you use. If you have a built-in fanbase, why not use it? The chance to have one's skills promoted to a wider audience and a one-time payment is a pretty crap salary, but it's not a bad first prize.
Rurouni-Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
djlemma

I work for free all the time. FOR MY FRIENDS.
If you are offering promotion in exchange for a design, you probably want to make sure your request is going to people that have heard of you. Not saying you're unknown, but it would probably be better to make the request among the viewers of your channel, rather than on a web site that isn't specifically related to music at all.

Also, if a super rough outline in MS Paint is all you want... couldn't you do it yourself? Or at least describe what you want to the guy you're paying $150?
Unread 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

wish I had clicked on this thread sooner.

I love these kinds of threads. Unfortunately, none of the designs I could sketch for you "on spec" would be suitable to post in this forum, I'd probably get banned.

If it's just a simple pencil drawing that doesn't require any time or skill, I'm sure you could do it yourself.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote