Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Yunarashi

Advice for someone with no time

Hey guys,

I currently work two jobs. Five days a week in the morning and the other six days a week right after I get off the other job. Basically, I am only really home to sleep. I've taken the initiative to start eating healthier as off now because I know that I eat too much junk, but I was wondering if there was a way to squeeze in actual exercise and maybe even tips on what kind of exercises to do. I'm 5'3" and weight 197lbs. I would like to attempt to lose 8-10lbs every month.
Yunarashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Sokar

What are the jobs? And in what environment do you work? Some very easy things to do is to make your day more active at work, meaning take the stairs instead of the elevator. Or volunteer to be the one doing any assignment which puts you in motion.

Now all of this is good but if you can wake up 30 minutes earlier every day you can work out before work. Even in doing basic body weight exercises will help you lose the weight you want and kick start your metabolism for the day. Squats, push ups, lunges, triceps push ups, leg lifts/abs and alike are all good staples of a quick morning workout. For a quick cardio burn you can do burpees mixed into those exercises.

Also diet is going to be key and with the kind of weight drop you want to do you need to make sure you watch your carbs and fat intake. What do you generally eat a day? I know your eating healthier but lets really examine what your putting in and see if there is anything we can add or substitute.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

I agree with a lot of the above post. No matter your schedule, it's pretty important to get a little movement in the morning, and to eat breakfast. If you don't eat within an hour of waking up, then your metabolism will be pretty wonky all day. Crunches and sit-ups aren't bad, though a jog around wherever you live would be ideal. You don't need money or equipment to get a good workout, contrary to popular belief. Also, make sure you're getting at least 7 hours of sleep per night. Weirdly enough, your amount of sleep does affect your ability to lose weight, among other things.

In terms of diet, I don't know what you're currently eating, but try and stay under 20 grams of fat per day, and aim for 5 grams or less if you want to lose weight (when you get to your goal, bump it up to 5-10 grams per day ideally, though still no more than 20). The best breakfast I can recommend is scrambled egg whites, a piece of whole wheat toast, and a couple slices of turkey bacon. This will keep you pretty full for a while. Avoid processed foods, and go for lots of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. You should NOT starve yourself of carbs (it's your body and especially your brain's nutrient of choice), though try and get your carbs from fruits and whole grain breads without OD-ing on bread. XD

You're probably going to feel really hungry at first-- which is normal. You're probably not used to eating so few calories (which, if you're getting an hour of moderate to vigorous exercise per day should be around 1300 for losing weight, but no lower than 1000, as that's when it starts to be unhealthy), but drink a LOT of water to help curb your appetite and because water is very important. If you're life me and you cannot stand the taste of water, get Propel Zero. It's basically no-calorie flavored water. Try to drink 4 or more bottles per day, and get sodas (even diet sodas) out of your diet completely (when you reach your goal weight you can have diet soda with meals, like lunch and dinner). I also recommend chewing minty gum if you're feeling hungry. Studies have shown that mint can curb your appetite to an extent. However, don't wait to the point of starving yourself. I'm giving you these tips to curb your appetite because when you're obese, your fat cells literally prevent your body from receiving signals of fullness (I can't remember the name of that chemical signal off the top of my head, sorry). So you may feel hungry sooner, but you shouldn't eat yet. If you need something to mindlessly snack on while working if you feel hungry, only eat vegetables, as they're extremely low in calories. Cucumbers are fantastic, because they're mostly water, and the peels are very good for you.

The average person loses 2 pounds per week when dieting safely, though because you're a little heavier I'd say aiming for 3 pounds per week (no more than 4) to start should be ideal. Because you're going by weight, let me give you a word of caution- DON'T weigh every day. Pick one day per week, and only weight on that one day, at the SAME time every day. This is because your weight fluctuates about 2 pounds per day, and it often depends on the time of day. The most accurate weigh to chart weight loss is weighing once a week, at the same time every week (preferably in the morning when you've just gotten up).

I hope this helps you to diet and lose weight in a healthy way. I've been to weight loss camps three times, and part of the program was to take nutrition and health classes. XD So, I know a lot about losing weight. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

EDIT:// One last tidbit, exercise is almost more important than eating healthy. To lose weight, you can't do one or the other and effectively lose weight. You have to do both, even if it's just an hour a day of exercise. :3

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

I would definitely be interested in what you're actually eating. Diet plays a big role in weight loss. That said, exercise is important, too! 8-10 pounds a month is definitely do-able, though I will second Fish-and-Chips' 2-3 pounds a week rule.

I'm a parent, full-time job worker, and part-time business owner, so I understand the time squeeze. I find a great way to get an awesome workout in is using something called Tabata interval training.

Basically, you pick an exercise(or series of exercises), and do it as fast as you can for twenty seconds, and then rest for ten seconds, then immediately repeat. Do this for eight repetitions(four minutes total). If you're feeling REALLY enterprising, you can try for more, though you'll find yourself pretty winded after four minutes if you're doing it right.

Some good exercises to do tabata intervals with:
Sprints
Bodyweight Squats
Jumping Jacks
Burpees
Mountain Climbers

You can pick just one exercise, or stick a couple together for a whole-body workout. For example:
Interval 1: Jumping Jacks
Interval 2: Bodyweight Squats
Interval 3: Pushups(kneeling if you're just starting out)
Interval 4: Crunches(bicycle crunches if you feel up to it)
Repeat intervals 1-4.

Tada! Workout over. Tabata intervals tend to keep your metabolism up and burning hot for an hour or so afterwards, so you get the effect of a long cardio workout in much, much less time. The high-intensity, anabolic nature of the workout makes it particularly good for losing weight as it activates a lot more large muscle groups with large energy expenditures, and really taxes your cardiovascular system.

Remember to take it easy at first, if you don't think you can finish all the intervals without hurting yourself, don't. Do what you can, and know your limits.
Unread 12-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Yunarashi

Talk about having no time. This is the first time I have had time to respond. DX

Anyway, I work at both Walmart and Domino's. Walmart will be ending soon (I was temp, but it's been confirmed I won't be kept due to my limit availability), so I suppose free time will be available for me. Quite frankly, I miss sleeping.

I am trying to add more veggies and fruits into my diet, as well as cutting out fast food eating, and counting the calories I eat, so that I won't overdo it. My biggest problem lies within Domino's. At times, when you get really hungry... and pizza is just there. Yeah, I have lost 25 pounds working there because of how active I have been, but the pizza eating isn't helping me get any lower.

After Friday, I will be Walmart free!
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
improvised

I would limit pizza to once a week, and use your breaks to exercise if you can. Though, if you are not working at walmart, that should free up some time.
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Yunarashi

Yeah, I have to start focusing on making my own dinners and bringing them to work with me.
Unread 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
ImNotThatDrunk
Doing it Off the Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunarashi View Post
Yeah, I have to start focusing on making my own dinners and bringing them to work with me.

I know what you mean about working non stop, it sucks. Especially when you work at a place like Dominos. I myself work at a coffee and doughnut shop. It's absolutely brutal!! and (sorry guys, look away if you don't like 'lady talk') especially during your period.

Example: For most of the month, I'm satisfied snacking on celery sticks and carrot sticks, with an apple along side my dinner salad. (A small bit of feta and olive oil dressing...mmm yeah!)

However, around your period, you do tend to crave sweeter/jucier foods. This often leads to unneccessary consumption of sweets. However if you replace those celery sticks with a couple of strawberries your cravings won't be so bad. Its how I managed to lose weight working with doughnuts.

Another thing that's worked for me has been moderation of veggies and fruits as snacks.

If you're like me, bringing the same thing to work everyday for lunch gets boring, so I always try to get a good variety of fruits and veggies when grocery shopping. Even today I bought brocoli and pears because last week I had gotten apples and asparagus.

Blah, that didn't come out half as clear as I thought it would, but I hoped it helped!