Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Zaiten

Marth's tunic troubles.

http://images.wikia.com/ssb/images/f...28Clear%29.png

Okay, so I'm in the process of sewing Marth's tunic. Well, my first version of it. Now I'm trying to decide how to keep it closed at the top portion above the belt. I'm thinking an invisible zipper would be best, no? Or would something like clasps/hooks, similar to a bra, be better?

http://zaitenx.tumblr.com/image/38371140121

Also, I'm currently using a double fold bias tape for the trim, still folded. But I think it's too thin. I know it's missing the detail, but I'm on a time crunch and just can't seem to find anything suitable that I like. ( Once I do, I'll re-make this a 2nd time, hence the whole first version. ) But, for this one, I think I should unfold the tape to thicken it and iron out the crease, yes?

Facebook Page: Zaiten
Fun cosplay updates: tumblr
Serious cosplay updates: deviantART

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Zaiten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Penlowe

I agree with invisible zipper.

Yes, you can always open and iron double fold bias tape to get a wider stripe. If that isn't what you want and you do actually want it thicker the only way to do so is to layer your bias tape over something denser than your fabric, like strips of felt.
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Umbra.Exe
Loves bad puns

Seconding the invisible zipper, seems like the better way to go about it. Much better than fiddling with a bunch of clasps!

If you're pressed for time, I'd say the bias tape looks good enough as is (it is a little narrow though, but I wouldn't know if I didn't have the ref to look at). I've also noticed the hem on the reference is a tad wider than the center trim, just a note for when you do that part.

If you don't mind a suggestion, I think the tunic would look better if you took it in a bit above the belt area. it might prevent the tunic from 'poofing out' too much over the belt.

So far though, I think the tunic looks great! Good luck with your cosplay!
(Also, I used to pick Marth ALL the time back in Meelee... He's been replaced by Snake though. XD)
Umbra.Exe is offline   Reply With Quote