Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Genius View Post
any tips on girls who have kind of ...chubby cheeks? i dont know what the term would be. but when i smile i have lines around my mouth because of my cheeks. how should i work around this problem? i dont like looking at my pictures and seeing only the lines on my face! rawrrawrrawr!

and they arnt laugh lines. im not quite old enough for that and they arnt there permanently
I have those laugh lines as well and I'm not even old!!! *cries*
Photoshop might be your friend to fix otherwise good pictures, as might putting super sensitive moisturizer before your concealer so they are slightly mixed and won't dry your skin out. That shows cracks in the makeup which make them look even worse I've found. ;A; So I always start with the dry parts of my face when putting on foundation. Also taking shots from slightly above the cosplayer seems to help. Not too much or you get like a creepy face or a huge neanderthal forhead look. lol

My eyes are recessed and having just a bit of light on my face also helps make my eyes look brighter. Straight on light or diffused light from the area does this without a harsh flash. Taking pictures when it's overcast (yay for living in Washington lol) and in a room next to a window but not in the window can help.
I dunno just what I've found.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
toughtink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmbngrl View Post
I have those laugh lines as well and I'm not even old!!! *cries*
Photoshop might be your friend to fix otherwise good pictures, as might putting super sensitive moisturizer before your concealer so they are slightly mixed and won't dry your skin out. That shows cracks in the makeup which make them look even worse I've found. ;A; So I always start with the dry parts of my face when putting on foundation. Also taking shots from slightly above the cosplayer seems to help. Not too much or you get like a creepy face or a huge neanderthal forhead look. lol

My eyes are recessed and having just a bit of light on my face also helps make my eyes look brighter. Straight on light or diffused light from the area does this without a harsh flash. Taking pictures when it's overcast (yay for living in Washington lol) and in a room next to a window but not in the window can help.
I dunno just what I've found.
this help sooo much!! thanks! i also have chubby cheeks and deep-set eyes. makes posing for pictures a real toss-up sometimes. XP
toughtink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #18
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

This really helps.
I have always had a major chipmunk cheek issue due to having a small mouth (my orthodontist hated me). It's the one part of myself I hate the most. I abhor photos taken of me, but I always have to have the spot light.

I'm not overweight (workout program got me to 138lbs! Woohoo! 3lbs to go to reach my fighting weight! --literally. I weighed 135 while taking Tae Kwon Do.). Yet, I can't get rid of these cheeks! Any opinions on using some kind of tape to pull the skin back ever so slightly to tighten the skin?

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
qiancen

useful

thanks
qiancen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicserendipity View Post
This really helps.
I have always had a major chipmunk cheek issue due to having a small mouth (my orthodontist hated me). It's the one part of myself I hate the most. I abhor photos taken of me, but I always have to have the spot light.

I'm not overweight (workout program got me to 138lbs! Woohoo! 3lbs to go to reach my fighting weight! --literally. I weighed 135 while taking Tae Kwon Do.). Yet, I can't get rid of these cheeks! Any opinions on using some kind of tape to pull the skin back ever so slightly to tighten the skin?
I'd use less mechanical means. How are you with makeup application? Are you familiar with contouring?
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Scathefir3
Kasia Cosplay

Two problems for me......
1. I don't wear make-up, so I don't know how to put it on :S I want to start for cosplay photos but don't even know where to start or what to get/use.
2. I've tried looking into the mirror and practice posing before cons or shoots...But I feel too awkward, nothing I do feels right and it feels the same way during photos until I begin to open and losen up (This usually happens half through or close to the end)

Suggestions?
Scathefir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

1) On makeup:
You can get a lot out of Youtube tutorials, but there's nothing like an in-person consultation.

You might make an appointment with a makeup artist for some techniques and training. The artists at some of the makeup counters in department stores will often be familiar with makeup techniques for costuming and theatre - for instance, the MAC counter in a Macy's or Dillard's will almost always have a couple of very skilled makeup artists who will be happy to give you some tips.

Bear in mind that it's part of their job to sell products. The mid-tier and higher-end products like these will be somewhat more expensive than the off-the-peg stuff from Walgreens, but will cover better, look better, and last longer. However, if you only use it on rare occasions (e.g. costuming), I don't know about the shelf life.

Why don't you swing by a MAC counter, ask around, see if any of their artists are versed in costume and stage makeup, and would be willing to chat with you about what you need and how to use it? .. Make sure you tell them you're specifically looking for products and techniques suitable for costuming, that you probably want some basic/universal things that will work well with your skin, and maybe a couple of other items specific to the costume you're pursuing. Bring reference images. ...and if you're on a tight budget for products, let them know that up front.

2) On posing.
The "comfort" in posing just comes with practice and experience, but there are some things you can do to improve in the meantime.

Before the photoshoot, get yourself into the mindset of the character. Be the character, not yourself.

Practicing in front of a mirror definitely helps. Better yet, practice with a friend holding the camera and taking pictures - even if it's just a camera phone or point-n-shoot, you can get valuable experience in seeing what you look like in a photo. (it's not always the same as what's in the mirror)

An experienced photographer can help a lot too, with posing and facial expressions. As a photographer, I find it helpful to show off the pose that I want from the subject - this is almost always good for a few laughs, especially when I'm trying to demonstrate sexy or feminine poses. When searching for a photographer, ask if they're experienced in giving posing direction.

Tell jokes, or find some other icebreakers. It's not much different than any other social situation, really... except in a photo shoot, both you and the photographer want to make the best of it. Try not to feel self-conscious; nobody's judging you.

If all else fails, "fake it till you make it."

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
Angelg

Thanks for the tips, I have a lot to learn...
Angelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
StuckOnAsgard
You Were Made To Be Ruled

This is very helpful. I know I for one have problems with knowing what my face looks like when I am posing.

Current Cosplays:
Lady Loki-The Avengers
Lady Loki-Thor 2 (Brainstorming)
StuckOnAsgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #25
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention above:

Many poses that look good don't "feel right." Especially for feminine figures, the poses that are the most flattering are often the least comfortable.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
Scathefir3
Kasia Cosplay

Great tips thanks!
Another question.... What can I do about blinking. I have a bad habit of having to take 20 pictures before I can get one good one without my eyes closed of half closed from blinking.
I've tried staring off past where I'm looking or force my eyes to stay open but then it seems like they are too wide open and shows I'm forcing them to be like that.
What can I do to make it look more natural or just to stop the blinking during pictures all together?
Scathefir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #27
Jonowxeno
Photog

Blinking happens, that's why we take lots of photos haha.

If it happens a lot, your eyes might be dry or irritated from contacts/dust in the air. Eyes drops can help. Keep your eyes relaxed and have plenty of rest

I usually use this technique for group photos to have everyone's eyes open - get in your pose and be ready, let the photog make whatever adjustments. Then close your eyes, let the photog count down and open when he says for the shot.
Flickr, Facebook, DA
Jonowxeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #28
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

What do you guys recommend for dark circles around eyes? The Italian in me makes my eyes dark all the time, and in convention lighting it makes me look like I'm dead or on drugs. Is there something I can do to help with that? >>

Example: The horrible picture of me on G4 TV.

Last edited by Blue Leader : 03-21-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathefir3 View Post
Great tips thanks!
Another question.... What can I do about blinking. I have a bad habit of having to take 20 pictures before I can get one good one without my eyes closed of half closed from blinking.
I've tried staring off past where I'm looking or force my eyes to stay open but then it seems like they are too wide open and shows I'm forcing them to be like that.
What can I do to make it look more natural or just to stop the blinking during pictures all together?
I have this problem too, sorta. Especially if the sun even anywhere in view shining into my eyes, I literally CANNOT keep my eyes open. It's weird because everybody else usually manages it while I can't and it ends up with group shots of everybody else looking into the camera just fine and me squinting or blinking...

But maybe that's an issue for you, if you can't keep your eyes open due to the light or something then you should ask your photographer to help you move to a different location that works for them but doesn't strain your eyes. If that isn't the issue, just practice and get the photographer to take a lot of photos.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #30
FlashBlitzen
Photo / Videographer

[quote=Blue Leader;4635187]What do you guys recommend for dark circles around eyes? The Italian in me makes my eyes dark all the time, and in convention lighting it makes me look like I'm dead or on drugs. Is there something I can do to help with that? >>

There is probably concealer products that can help. Many people , including myself, have dark circles. You are correct about overhead lighting making it appear worse. Convention lighting is usually horrible.

Photoshop can fix it up pretty good but in candids, like in your example, not much you can do short of a little theatrical makeup, sorry to say. Or better lighting angles relative to the camera.

You can check Webmd or the like for common causes and remedies. In case it might be sinus problems or something like that.

I feel the same way about shots of myself. As a photographer, I try and get the best light I can on me if I'm being photographed. Sometimes looking up into the lens and light can help.
It's all about angles and shadows.

Hope some of this helps.
FlashBlitzen is offline   Reply With Quote