Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #46
TMBounty_Hunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
How far front? The conference rooms? Back in 2011 they put the Toy Display and Model Contest in the Mirvish room and some guest panels in the Sutherland which resulted in unpleasant experiences for people. For one thing a lot of people couldn't figure out that those rooms were in the TCC front area which has never been used the previous years. Another annoyance was they put some rather aggressive volunteers at the door asking for passes and where you're going. Unless you specifically told them MIRVISH, MODEL CONTEST or whichever panel you wanted they'd turn you away. Finally I remember at least one of the 3 days TCC staff would be there making sure people aren't loitering in the hallways. Either go to your room or outside~

Those conference rooms are actually very awesome once you manage to find them and get in. Would be great to have an indoor photoshoot spot in there if the 2011 problems don't reoccur.
TMBounty_Hunter is offline  
 
Unread 06-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #47
Iczer eh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
The front rooms of the TCC are OFF LIMITS, period. The TCC does not want congoers in there, or near the outside of the building. The one and only time we had use of them last year, building security made it a nightmare - those `aggressive`volunteers were desperately trying to steer congoers directly where they were going so they didn`t run into the building security and get thrown out - and they have banned our people from going back inside even though they did nothing wrong. This is a serious issue.

Kitty, if you want to ask these questions, it should be on the staff list or in private email, you`ve been getting bad information from someone who knows nothing about the TCC or working with its staff and it caused problems this year, bigger problems than you realize. I`m going to have to be really strict about enforcing the rules next year because of all this with several events. As it is, be prepared for many of the locations you`ve been using without permission to now be unavailable or have a price tag attached.

Everything we do officially at the TCC is covered by the contract, inside and outside, and we need written permission ahead of time for everything, even signs or photoshoot locations if they`ve turned into something we actually schedule. You need to communicate directly with me, not through another dept, to get everything approved officially so we can keep the photoshoots as an event for next year. If you`re not on the staff list you really need to email and ask to be added.

As for an inside location - if you mean a hotel lobby or corridor, there`s really nowhere that could happen without causing too much trouble for traffic patterns or disrupt events in nearby rooms. The Lower South Lobby in the Doubletree maaaaybe, on Saturday and Sunday only, although the shape isn`t ideal for a large group.

OTOH, we`ll be starting work on the interior layout of the TCC soon (yes, this early, sigh) and once we have the big stuff worked out, there`s a pretty good chance we could come up with a space somewhere we can block off for photoshoots with different colours of drapery and a few risers, but again, you need to discuss that with me off-list to work it out and get it approved.

Eileen McEvoy
Programming Director, Anime North
Iczer eh is offline  
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #48
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman
 
Ani_BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,299
Have been in the front section for the TCC for an award show they do not open that up to high traffic crowds like ours or the bridal shows.

Trust me one this we do NOT want con go'er in there. lol As soon as we do open it up people will look to use the front entrance to get into the building the back of the building, they were still people trying to short cut through the front even this year not bothering to read the signs on the doors that were up.

Another option this year if we did a head count again is that the photo-shoot organizer dose a second head count of the own shoots to validate the data.
__________________


FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)


Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride


For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 06-26-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline  
Unread 06-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #49
DireKitty
Captain Kittens
 
DireKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iczer eh View Post
The front rooms of the TCC are OFF LIMITS, period. The TCC does not want congoers in there, or near the outside of the building. The one and only time we had use of them last year, building security made it a nightmare - those `aggressive`volunteers were desperately trying to steer congoers directly where they were going so they didn`t run into the building security and get thrown out - and they have banned our people from going back inside even though they did nothing wrong. This is a serious issue.

Kitty, if you want to ask these questions, it should be on the staff list or in private email, you`ve been getting bad information from someone who knows nothing about the TCC or working with its staff and it caused problems this year, bigger problems than you realize. I`m going to have to be really strict about enforcing the rules next year because of all this with several events. As it is, be prepared for many of the locations you`ve been using without permission to now be unavailable or have a price tag attached.

Everything we do officially at the TCC is covered by the contract, inside and outside, and we need written permission ahead of time for everything, even signs or photoshoot locations if they`ve turned into something we actually schedule. You need to communicate directly with me, not through another dept, to get everything approved officially so we can keep the photoshoots as an event for next year. If you`re not on the staff list you really need to email and ask to be added.

As for an inside location - if you mean a hotel lobby or corridor, there`s really nowhere that could happen without causing too much trouble for traffic patterns or disrupt events in nearby rooms. The Lower South Lobby in the Doubletree maaaaybe, on Saturday and Sunday only, although the shape isn`t ideal for a large group.

OTOH, we`ll be starting work on the interior layout of the TCC soon (yes, this early, sigh) and once we have the big stuff worked out, there`s a pretty good chance we could come up with a space somewhere we can block off for photoshoots with different colours of drapery and a few risers, but again, you need to discuss that with me off-list to work it out and get it approved.

Eileen McEvoy
Programming Director, Anime North
Prepare for big email tonight.
__________________
Anime North Cosplay Photoshoots Staff
Kayle - League of Legends
Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline  
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #50
Iczer eh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
Got it, everything's cool Big answer coming later when I have time.
Iczer eh is offline  
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #51
DireKitty
Captain Kittens
 
DireKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,177
Hoping i'll see it soon. :3
__________________
Anime North Cosplay Photoshoots Staff
Kayle - League of Legends
Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline  
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #52
Iczer eh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
You should have it now... finally. If not let me know.
Iczer eh is offline  
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #53
AJ the Collector
Collector
 
AJ the Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,121
Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but TCC1 seems like a perfect new location for the Homestuck shoots if that whole huge area is available.
__________________
My next conventions and events:
Every Anime North and ConBravo ever
Fan Expo 2014
End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014
DTAC 2014


Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Equius Zahhak {100%!} for FX14, End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014: Zoostuck Twostuck and AN15
Totakeke {90%} for DTAC14
L {70%} for AN15
Karkat Vantas {70%}
Sable Able {50%} for CB15
Makoto Naegi {50%}
Penelope Mouse - Sly 3 design {40%}
Zidane Tribal {30%}



Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.
AJ the Collector is offline  
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #54
Shannynn
Registered User
 
Shannynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 76
You guys should really make use of some of the great spots around the Sheraton. Out of the way? Pfft, it's con space for goodness sakes! Those who want to go will go. I hate how all the photoshoots are crammed around the TCC, making the crowds even worse.
Don't mean to sound rude, but I actually find it annoying. You're wasting so much great space (and making crowds worse) by cramming everything around one particular area.

Last edited by Shannynn : 01-05-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Shannynn is offline  
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #55
DireKitty
Captain Kittens
 
DireKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the Collector View Post
Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but TCC1 seems like a perfect new location for the Homestuck shoots if that whole huge area is available.
The person running Homestuck this year has already been in contact with me talking about getting a large space for them. We are working stuff out. Certainly seems to be retaining (growing?) it's popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannynn View Post
You guys should really make use of some of the great spots around the Sheraton. Out of the way? Pfft, it's con space for goodness sakes! Those who want to go will go. I hate how all the photoshoots are crammed around the TCC, making the crowds even worse.
Don't mean to sound rude, but I actually find it annoying. You're wasting so much great space (and making crowds worse) by cramming everything around one particular area.
In 2011 it was a open as a spot (I thought people would go for it for the same reasons as you), and only 2 photoshoots ran there (1 never happened). In 2010 1 photoshoot was in the lobby and 1 out front. In 2009 only 1 shoot was held there.

People said it's far - and it is. Even if it is con space some people never set foot in the Sheraton. Rainbowgasm made a good point that people's feet often take a beating when in cosplay and that walking over that bridge to get there can be a huge pain (which I can conclude is partly why the doubletree and Rad book up faster than the pretty Sheraton). I hadn't considered that viewpoint and it explained why only 2 shoots were booked there. It made me realize that I don't just "go over there" like I do with the DT or TCC, I plan it so I only go there once.

Many people also prefer to have photoshoot spots where there is traffic so that many people will stop and take pictures. So for 2012 there was zero interest and so it never ended up on the final map. I added more spots that were 'out of the way' of the major traffic lines but still right by the TCC and there were under utilized. The spots with the most traffic near them were heavily utilized. This is another nix against the Sheraton because it is out of the way of the main traffic flows at the convention so you won't be getting a random passerby taking pictures.

Please don't assume it wasn't there because I hate people and want them all to suffer in some lake of fire. It wasn't there because there wasn't interest in holding a photoshoot there (again I really dig the Sheraton, its very photogenic).
Last year I had it on the first map I published, no one was biting, and when I looked at the space the map would/could be printed on (I was lucky and got a bigger space than what I was expecting) I decided it wouldn't be worth squishing down the map when it was likely the Sheraton wouldn't really be used anyways (everything pays rent). All you need to do is check the numbers, it was never popular.

I also realize that people like private photoshoots, and it's the perfect location for those (It's out of the way and you won't be intruded on). I'm trying to get a bit on photoshoots on the AN website and had been planning on touting the Sheraton as a great space for private shoots (as I get questions on that from time to time).

------

There will be indoor locations in 2013 that are being arranged. Many outdoor spots that were close to the TCC are being nixed due to traffic and TCC putting in fences last year(which I hadn't been told about). Lots of changes. When I get all the details on indoor locations (and I have no ETA on that) I'll be sure to post ASAP.


TL'DR - there was no interest in the Sheraton as far back as 2009. Indoor locations incoming. New post at some point.

Asking for this to be locked as this thread is outdated.
__________________
Anime North Cosplay Photoshoots Staff
Kayle - League of Legends
Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community

Last edited by DireKitty : 01-05-2013 at 10:35 AM.
DireKitty is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.