Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Yusuke Wig Styling Guidance!

Hey guys and gals and everyone in between! Alright, so I'm going to be cosplaying Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho later this year and I'm in need of some wig guidance. To start of, here's a few pictures of Yusuke:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...mall_demon.jpg

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0...ameshi_pic.jpg

As you can see, he has quite the head of hair. What I was thinking of doing was to buy a Malinda in black from Arda: http://arda-wigs.com/products/malinda and then from there use the method described in Malindachan's hairline tutorial: http://chibierwin.deviantart.com/fav...97459#/d3kq67t but instead cut of the excess hair from the longer bits of the wig.

Would this method work for what I'm trying to accomplish? If not, what would you recommend to do? Do you think there is a better way to do this? Any advice, guidance, opinions, and suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Rurouni-Idoru

A fellow YYH cosplayer, huzzah! A less-experienced friend of mine is considering cosplaying Yusuke in a group with me in the future, so I've spent a ton of time thinking about this problem and how best to help with it.

I'm not sure about using the Malinda just because Yusuke's hair is only pulled that way in the front, whereas the Malinda's meant to go straight up on all sides, and so cutting it shorter in the back would probably show the netting and look funky. (I could be entirely wrong, though; I've never handled a Malinda in person, but from the way they say the wefts are sewn in, I'm fairly sure.)

Personally, my plan for this wig has been to use the Cady and a pack of short wefts to make the hairline using Ninja-Chi's ventilating tutorial. The built-in lacefront pretty handily gets rid of that "How do you attach it to the wig" question at the end of part one.
Rurouni-Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I also say no on that wig. Not only is it meant to spike straight up on all sides, but it is also pretty big in the wig cap....Not a recommended wig lol

I think a lacefront is a good idea if you want to spend that kind of money as they are meant to slick back like that.

I don't know enough about that tutorial that Rurouni linked to say anything about it, but it should work too..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
highsky

Definitely get a wig similar to the Cady that Rurouni linked (or the Cady itself). It'll be much easier to work with and style before adding the hairline. I'm more of a fan of the felt, wefts, and Malinda's tutorial you have in mind. It comes out with great results though I think you'll have to be very careful not to make your widow's peak too extreme. I hope the wig comes out well~!!
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

I'm going with the Cady now, seems like a better route! Thanks for all the help and suggestions people
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote