Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Catscatscats
Skill-Lacker

Any "how to sew" guides online?

Hi! I'm looking to sew some cosplay items (hats, clothes, etc) I was wondering if there were sewing tutorials online and such? All I do is go up and over up and over and it doesn't seem to be effective for me. I don't want a sewing machine, I want to do everything by hand.

About the only thing I know how to do sewing is tie the string onto the needle without it coming off.

Thanks!

By the way, for now I'm just using cotton. I plan to use ther fabrics in the future, but for now I just want to stick to these thin fabrics.

Unread 01-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Penlowe

You Tube, About.com, craftster.org, the tutorials list stickied at the top of this page. lots of resources, just keep looking. In person check any fabric or sewing machine repair/sales stores for classes. Check your local listings for quilt guilds, Society of Creative Anachronisms (those are the folks who do renn faire fighting stuff, sew all their own garb), sewing bees (often church groups who do charity sewing) or churches active in mission work for people who can teach you.
Don't have money? offer what you can in return, maybe yard work or house cleaning or baby sitting in exchange for lessons. I've taught three teens to sew in exchange for exactly these services.

And, umm, sorry to break it to you, but you aren't supposed to tie the thread to the needle. when hand sewing pull off a length of thread the length of your arm, 1/3 of the length doubled back after passing through the eye should be sufficient to keep it from slipping out.
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Catscatscats
Skill-Lacker

Oh, that's what I meant, I know how to get the string around the needle. XD

And unfortunately where I live for whatever reason, nobody does those. I am totally serious. I went to the art store yesterday and they didn't have any books. S my only source is online. Thanks!
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Penlowe

an art store likely won't have books on sewing, try the library instead. There is an excellent post at the top of this forum detailing a 'how to get started' with lots of references.