Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3900 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #62311
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
Is it really that bad? I dunno, I don't really watch any of that. It doesn't interest me.

But that show...what was it, Toddlers and Tiaras? Man. That makes me want to shoot myself. They're all kinds of ridiculous. I don't even....jeez.
It's awful.
But I hate the idea of teaching kids at such a young age that all that matters is beauty. They grow up thinking that and then they turn into young women with low self esteem and even depression.
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #62312
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
But attendees are bringing baby gifts, yes?
I'd never bother getting a baby a present. It's not gonna have a goddamn clue. I'd be all like, "hey, you wretched little ingrate, do you have any idea how much I spent on that authentic Napoleonic-era 5.5 inch howitzer, brat?"

And they would apologise and give it back.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #62313
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

Well, my brother's apparently had to postpone his visit until next week. Apparently his GF isn't well....

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #62314
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Some people are just brunch addicts, I suppose.
Can we get a brunch discussion going? I'm all about brunch, as it usually combines my favorite things into one glorious feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
Oh god... My parents are forcing me to watch Honey Boo Boo for "family bonding time".
Did I mention I am highly against children's beauty pageants?
Here comes the butthurt.
Yo I think forcing you to watch that sort of thing counts as child abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
Is it really that bad? I dunno, I don't really watch any of that. It doesn't interest me.

But that show...what was it, Toddlers and Tiaras? Man. That makes me want to shoot myself. They're all kinds of ridiculous. I don't even....jeez.
And then Sakura was my favorite. After FlutterMai. STILL THE BEST Y'ALL!

Back from MAGfest, which was pretty dope. Very much about the videya and the socializing, I chatted up some nerds, played some games, caught a few concerts, did some light drinking, watch the Texans and Packers games....good times overall.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #62315
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Me: Oh man, they are making a Solomon Grundy movie?!

*checks it*

Me: oh...the nursery rhyme...not the DC villain...
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #62316
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Re. baby stuff: my friends have started having kids over the past few years, and so far each family has gotten a fleece blanket and each of the kids has gotten a little plush Luma. Reports from the parents are that all the kids love the stars, and that the blankets are great since they're warm enough to wrap up the babies if they're just going out to the car or whatever and don't want to have the whole winter get-up thing. Gifts for infants/toddlers don't have to be useless/decorative/expensive.

However, just the idea of having a "gender reveal" party makes me a little uncomfortable as a person who tries to actively avoid forcing people into traditional gender roles. It seems like making such a big deal about the sex of your baby is like making sure that everyone knows their future baby gifts are gender-appropriate. (just my personal peeve here - I know I'm in the minority in the western world as a whole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
And then Sakura was my favorite. After FlutterMai. STILL THE BEST Y'ALL!

Back from MAGfest, which was pretty dope. Very much about the videya and the socializing, I chatted up some nerds, played some games, caught a few concerts, did some light drinking, watch the Texans and Packers games....good times overall.
Dude, totaly faved right back.

Had several friends at MAGfest this year - from the looks of their tweets it was a prety good time for everyone. Might be one I'll try out at some point.
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #62317
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
Me: Oh man, they are making a Solomon Grundy movie?!

*checks it*

Me: oh...the nursery rhyme...not the DC villain...
Not that I'm judging them (for a change), but I wonder what the percentage of people who know Solomon Grundy only from that old Cartoon Network ad. You know, the "Solomon Grundy want pants too!" one.

Still funny to me btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
However, just the idea of having a "gender reveal" party makes me a little uncomfortable as a person who tries to actively avoid forcing people into traditional gender roles. It seems like making such a big deal about the sex of your baby is like making sure that everyone knows their future baby gifts are gender-appropriate. (just my personal peeve here - I know I'm in the minority in the western world as a whole)

Dude, totaly faved right back.

Had several friends at MAGfest this year - from the looks of their tweets it was a prety good time for everyone. Might be one I'll try out at some point.
2nding the having a gender reveal party being odd. Unless it's a "YO, LET'S USE THE REVEALING OF THE SEX OF OUR CHILD TO GET SOME KICK ASS BRUNCH, NO GIFTS NEEDED, AND WE'RE TOTES PAYING" type of thing. Can't hate on that. Won't even.

I will never get tired of Flutter-yay. That whole bits makes for a happy Chris.

MAGfest is neat, but PAX East will spoil you in comparsion. MagFEST, I was only able to stomach for a weekend, all 4 days is an expensive overkill. PAX East however, is glorious/the best/ ever-so-much-fun. What's that? We're 2 months short of March. Yes, good, this pleases me.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #62318
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Which is EXACTLY what they are doing!

And I'm not too concerned about those two trying to make a kid conform to traditional gender roles, they certainly don't. They have a "house hold chore needs to be done, whoever is home gets to do it" method.

They also are VERY enthusiastic about everything.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #62319
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
However, just the idea of having a "gender reveal" party makes me a little uncomfortable as a person who tries to actively avoid forcing people into traditional gender roles. It seems like making such a big deal about the sex of your baby is like making sure that everyone knows their future baby gifts are gender-appropriate. (just my personal peeve here - I know I'm in the minority in the western world as a whole).
When I was having kids, when we found out the gender we just told the people we thought would care. It's not our style to make a big deal out of things. But I also hate showers and refused to have one. We did have brunch with three other couples we were friends with and they insisted on giving us gifts.

I'm in total agreement with you about gender specific things for babies and toddlers. And I think that it's gotten a lot worse. When I had babies, I really didn't have any trouble finding neutral clothes. My daughter wore a lot of her older brother's hand-me-downs. But whenever I've looked for clothes for LD EVERYTHING has been pink ponies or blue trucks. :\
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #62320
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

It's just another example of child worship to me.

The concept of a gender reveal party is upsetting.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #62321
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I've read the account from an individual who went to 'gender reveal parties' in which the woman had the ultrasound in front of the guests, the entire thing was videotapped, and by the end of the party someone from the soon-to-be-mother's family was passing out DVDS of the ultrasound. For sale that is. As in she was selling the DVD they just filmed, of this woman getting an ultrasound to reveal what brand of crotch junk the baby had.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #62322
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Like I said, child worship.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #62323
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

We're getting cake with either pink or blue frosting between the layers...
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #62324
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
Like I said, child worship.
Explain you definition of child worship, please. I'm waiting to see if I agree or disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #62325
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Explain you definition of child worship, please. I'm waiting to see if I agree or disagree with you.
He means a gold statue of a toddler.

There's a chocolate orange inside!
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote