Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3915 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #62326
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Don't get me wrong, having a child should be a very important and joyous occasion, but I find a number of people just take it too far, what emmers said is an example. Why the bloody hell would I want your ultrasound?

Don't ever let me take away the joy that your child brings you.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #62327
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Happiness over being a new parent and trying to make money off your pregnancy are not even in the same solar system so I don't think anyone was gettin' all panty-twisty.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #62328
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I've read the account from an individual who went to 'gender reveal parties' in which the woman had the ultrasound in front of the guests, the entire thing was videotapped, and by the end of the party someone from the soon-to-be-mother's family was passing out DVDS of the ultrasound. For sale that is. As in she was selling the DVD they just filmed, of this woman getting an ultrasound to reveal what brand of crotch junk the baby had.

JFC. Just JFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
We're getting cake with either pink or blue frosting between the layers...
Blue tastes better. I can't explain why, or the science behind it, but blue frosting is the superior tasting color. Of those 2 at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
He means a gold statue of a toddler.

There's a chocolate orange inside!
Emmers, I would like to know where I can purchase said statue. Because reasons. Reasons being I would like to eat that.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis

Last edited by TheAnarCHris : 01-07-2013 at 10:53 AM.
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #62329
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I didn't know my comment about a gender reveal party would spark so much conversation...

Speaking of gender roles - my friend got mad a me because I said I made gf a sandwich last night. She said "lesbians shouldn't do that, i was assigning myself a role of oppression in the relationship."

Umm... My kitchen is tiny, I was making myself a sandwich and its just as easy to make two... And I didn't mind.
I LIKE making people food.

I think that girl is a future social justice tumblr blogger.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #62330
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
I didn't know my comment about a gender reveal party would spark so much conversation...

Speaking of gender roles - my friend got mad a me because I said I made gf a sandwich last night. She said "lesbians shouldn't do that, i was assigning myself a role of oppression in the relationship."

Umm... My kitchen is tiny, I was making myself a sandwich and its just as easy to make two... And I didn't mind.

S'all good. It's been a civil discussion, and I think a lot of the comments, if not all of them, have been solid.

And said girl is stupid. Doing something nice for someone you care about is awesome, screw anyone who says otherwise.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #62331
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
I didn't know your friend was the grand-master of lesbians.

The lesbian whisperer.

Clearly she is an authority on all things lesbian and the very intimate details of other people's relationships.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #62332
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Still feeling ill after looking at this, click at your own risk.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ickin-Bad.html

Sad thing is I've actually eaten at that KFC before...
Aren't wrinkles in the brain indicative of overall higher intelligence as a species? So if it were a chicken brain it probably would be much smoother.

I mean, I would be pretty grossed out no matter what organ was in my meat. KFC does not have a great track record with processing of their animals, hygiene, anything else... I really would rather not go there, except there's no other fast food fried chicken nearby. And I'm sorry, there are times I just really need some fried chicken in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Can we get a brunch discussion going? I'm all about brunch, as it usually combines my favorite things into one glorious feels.
I don't know that I've ever actually gone to a real brunch. I feel my life is lacking in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
However, just the idea of having a "gender reveal" party makes me a little uncomfortable as a person who tries to actively avoid forcing people into traditional gender roles. It seems like making such a big deal about the sex of your baby is like making sure that everyone knows their future baby gifts are gender-appropriate. (just my personal peeve here - I know I'm in the minority in the western world as a whole)
While I wasn't shy about telling people I was going to have a boy, I got a lot of "ohhh, how WONDERFUL, boys are WONDERFUL, he's going to be your little PRINCE" and I honestly wanted to throw up right in their faces. Like, if I'd been having a girl, would that have made a difference? They probably would've said the same shit but, if it really doesn't matter, a) don't ask b) if you have to ask because you're trying to make polite conversation, just say "great" and move on.

Thankfully I didn't get too many overtly boy-centric gifts (in part because I kept the registry as neutral as I could), but some people went off-registry anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I'm in total agreement with you about gender specific things for babies and toddlers. And I think that it's gotten a lot worse. When I had babies, I really didn't have any trouble finding neutral clothes. My daughter wore a lot of her older brother's hand-me-downs. But whenever I've looked for clothes for LD EVERYTHING has been pink ponies or blue trucks. :\
There seemed to be a lot more in the way of, like, dressing kids in turtlenecks and overalls and sort of interchangeable stuff when I was little. I don't even remember what the kids I babysat wore. Now, as parents (read: moms) feel compelled to dress their children in "fashionable" clothing, it seems to be more strongly gendered. They keep some yellow and green shit around for babies in case parents don't announce the gender ahead of time or opt to be surprised, but once they're a year old you are SOL.

So I tend to buy a lot of black and gray and skulls or monsters or guitars, basically the same things I'd put a girl in.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #62333
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:

OMG Can I drop kick her?
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #62334
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I don't know that I've ever actually gone to a real brunch. I feel my life is lacking in that regard.
I advise it. There's been a few times, both sober and hung over, where I've done brunch at a local resturant and the results were similiar to getting sucked off by an angel. Nothing cures a hangover like that.

<--- Is such a faux foodie it isn't even funny.

EDIT: Red Sox Nation (did I ever give you a CHris-sanctioned nickname? Or was that Loli?). I'm giving you permission to internet drop-kick her, as I am the tag-team Champsions, and drop-kicks are BOSS!

Last edited by TheAnarCHris : 01-07-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #62335
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Woohoo! My new laptop arrived! Can't open the box til tonight, though, since I had to go to work.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #62336
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
I advise it. There's been a few times, both sober and hung over, where I've done brunch at a local resturant and the results were similiar to getting sucked off by an angel. Nothing cures a hangover like that.

<--- Is such a faux foodie it isn't even funny.

EDIT: Red Sox Nation (did I ever give you a CHris-sanctioned nickname? Or was that Loli?). I'm giving you permission to internet drop-kick her, as I am the tag-team Champsions, and drop-kicks are BOSS!
You gave me Derpy, a name I proudly uphold. I can actually drop kick her in real life though, because me and Luna live 5 minutes away from each other.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #62337
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Actually, she lives in Idaho, I think that's punishment enough, I have another friend who lived in Idaho that hated it.
I unfriended her. It may be awkward if we ever have another class together but that's fine.

I just spent 45 minutes at the post office to mail out 3 certified letters for my mom.
45 minutes in line for a 3 minute transaction. She bought me a coffee to make up for it.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #62338
sam vimes
A real live wire

Animaniacs is going to be on The Hub? That's gre--

Oh wait, it'll be on when I'm at work. Foiled again!

Quote:
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #62339
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
I'm in total agreement with you about gender specific things for babies and toddlers. And I think that it's gotten a lot worse. When I had babies, I really didn't have any trouble finding neutral clothes. My daughter wore a lot of her older brother's hand-me-downs. But whenever I've looked for clothes for LD EVERYTHING has been pink ponies or blue trucks. :\
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
There seemed to be a lot more in the way of, like, dressing kids in turtlenecks and overalls and sort of interchangeable stuff when I was little. I don't even remember what the kids I babysat wore. Now, as parents (read: moms) feel compelled to dress their children in "fashionable" clothing, it seems to be more strongly gendered. They keep some yellow and green shit around for babies in case parents don't announce the gender ahead of time or opt to be surprised, but once they're a year old you are SOL.

So I tend to buy a lot of black and gray and skulls or monsters or guitars, basically the same things I'd put a girl in.
When my broher and I were young (early to mid 80's) I'm pretty sure that our clothes would have been pretty much interchangable (except for the size lol). But in all the photos I have of myself as a kid that weren't a special occasion, I had very gender neutral clothing. Lots of primary colours, no frills. Granted, part of that might have been because my parents were expecting a boy - surprise! - but there really does seem to be a difference. I wonder just what changed people's buying habits.
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #62340
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Animaniacs is going to be on The Hub? That's gre--

Oh wait, it'll be on when I'm at work. Foiled again!
On the television that only works sporadically!

Unrelated (possibly related, I may not be getting enough Skyrim in my diet), I am having a tough time not screeching in rage at people today.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote