Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Unread 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #31
dragunov23

Quote:
Originally Posted by livengood View Post
On the positive. I worked Taco Party this year and things went far better then last year. We opened on time, we had food ready to go, and we even had options for vegetarians. We did have issues(like the lack of paper plates for example), but I believe we'll be able to hammer them out for next year and keep improving the event.
Were you the Bianca (from Pokemon) at the Taco Party? The tacos were awesome!
dragunov23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #32
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunov23 View Post
Were you the Bianca (from Pokemon) at the Taco Party? The tacos were awesome!
Yes I was. I'm hoping next year we can have a better supply of taco meat(sadly we had to limit it to one per person to make sure everybody got one.) and perhaps even chicken. I'm happy we at least had pork, beef, and beans for the vegetarians. Also it was a good thing we had corn tortillas instead of flour. We had at least a couple people go through the line who had gluten allergies and couldn't eat flour tortillas.
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #33
Saturn Neko
Saturn Neko

I would like to start out with this was my 3ed year going, and I didn't have as great of time as the other two, but still love it enoff to make it next year if at all possible! I had two friends and my feanse with me this year and they rely enjoyed themselves!!!! (being a winter con i think i just have bad luck of being a bit sick...)

I went on day zero and absolutely loved it! was bummed that we didn't get the guide on that day, would have been nice to plane things on Thursday to be fully ready for Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgc View Post
. I want to echo the sentiments of other people and say that it's getting too big for the hotel, which makes me sad, because I love the small, welcoming feeling of ALA.
After reading all the comments I have to agree with this. Thinking about it, it was too cramped, I had a elaborate costume and i had to switch out because moving around was getting annoying.
I love the small welcoming feeling of cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post

So, in summary, I think a bigger venue and different options for badges would be nice.

What ALA did right is what ALA does right every year: awesome cosplay repair, places to sit and rest, free water, the con suite, helpful staff, and unobtrusive peace bonding.
Never thought of an idea like that! I'm all for it! Many of the times i porfor just cosplaying and don't usealy have much interest in most other things! But I have no complaints about price; I always buy my badge at least a half a year before for the cheaper price...

And Deffently agree with what ALA does right!!!!

Quote:
On the positive. I worked Taco Party this year and things went far better then last year. We opened on time, we had food ready to go, and we even had options for vegetarians. We did have issues(like the lack of paper plates for example), but I believe we'll be able to hammer them out for next year and keep improving the event.
I Love Taco's! Have to say the meat was fantastic taisting (I was first in line ) But the having to be quiet was something that rorented the experiance for us. Maybe having it down in the ballroom area were we could make nose would be better. If something says party most people expect to have a great time and not have to be so hush hush quiet.

Sugsuestons for the tacos though, if you do soft taco's, flower toteias would be way batter or at least give the options of flower and corn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniCourseMusha View Post
Starlight Ball: It was a lot much better ran than last year! Now they have all the songlist organized. But I think it still needs to double check if they're danceable and know what kind of dance do you use for the song.

Running workshop and Panel:
My first time workshop for Ballroom Dance Lesson went really well! Had a group of people and we worked on steps and rhythm and the understanding of having fun! My other panel mostly focuses on building confidence, how to prepare for a formal ball, dance etiquette and some dance types.
The staff and the department got everything for what I need for my workshop and panel. Glad to get some help from the crowd too and very laid back! I'm doing this again!
I loved the fact of both the formal ball and the dance lessons!!! Have to agree of making sure that songs are dancable and not just mostly Disney songs.
I'll diffidently go to more dance lessons if i can make it next year!!!! (and be more prepared with the shoes.. lol no very high hills )

Next Con: ALA 9!
Costume for next Con:Seth form Trenity Blood, Misa form Death Note, ???
Costumes: Siegehart- 85%, Maline- 50%,Seth -10%, Lady Subaru(fixing)- 75%

My photagrapy is Con Albums and costusume/charectors is my cosplay Unless state otherwise in the discription of the album discription or the photo.. thanks

=^.^= The Neko has come
Saturn Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #34
chireiyu

This was my first time at ALA (Days 2 and 3) and I had a so-so experience. The only con I've gone to is AX (since '06) so this was my first anime convention other than the massive behemoth that AX has become. I'm hoping to find a smaller con that suits me well and I'm not so sure if ALA is it...

First off, I must say that everyone is so amazingly nice. The staff and congoers were all friendly, which definitely put a smile on my face. I mostly hung around the pool deck and lobby, which although crowded at times, were still great areas. Unfortunately, not many of the panels or guests of honor interested me so I only attended one, and ended up leaving another prematurely.

The dealer's hall felt extremely small to me. For the amount of people that go to ALA I was expecting it to be a bit... bigger? Nothing there really caught my eye. Though I didn't really have anything in mind, I was hoping to find one or two items that would make me go "oh! I never thought of wanting it but I know I need it in my life!" The only thing I purchased was a plushie which I now know is just an arpakasso knockoff... so I feel quite ripped off since I could've gotten a legit one for the same price or cheaper had I waited 7 months...

One thing I really enjoyed was Con Suite! Though I only discovered it on Day 3 I think it's such an amazing idea. It definitely makes ALA feel more intimate and it warms my heart to think we could get free food~

What really added some negative points to my ALA experience other than the abnormally large amount of people with con funk was the Doki Doki Maid Cafe. I'm sorry but please PLEASE invite a different maid cafe to ALA next year. They practically ruined my day 3. I would elaborate more on how horrible my experience was with them but I know they're not exactly affiliated with ALA. (But if you really want to know you could probably find my blog post through google or something...)

Overall, I really wanted to like ALA more but I think it may not be for me. I'm not into the whole ribbon collecting thing nor am I into spazzing out with other congoers over anime and manga. If I go next year, perhaps I should get a room and get drunk to really have a good time. But I don't think I should have to get drunk to fully enjoy a con... Though I didn't feel like ALA was too cramped (perhaps since I'm all too familiar with how overcrowded AX is,) I can only imagine that ALA would hugely benefit from procuring a bigger venue.

Last edited by chireiyu : 01-08-2013 at 02:36 AM.
chireiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #35
OniCourseMusha
Brain Age Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Neko View Post
I loved the fact of both the formal ball and the dance lessons!!! Have to agree of making sure that songs are dancable and not just mostly Disney songs.
I'll diffidently go to more dance lessons if i can make it next year!!!! (and be more prepared with the shoes.. lol no very high hills )
Believe it or not. I volunteered to both have a Ballroom dance lesson workshop and panel mostly as a guide to formal ball at other anime conventions because of Starlight Ball. The dance lesson was all on me. But I am not officially part of Starlight Ball, just a guy who loves to help people learn how to dance and prepare for the formal dance. I might think about applying to staff mainly as long I can organize the dance lessons and assisting attendees. I was happy that I can set the dance lesson before the Starlight Ball. I will do it again next year!
Fanime E-gaming Staff
Fanime B&W Ball Dance Assistance and Staff 2008-2011
SakuraCon Masquerade Ball's dance host
Facebook
Deviantart ACE Cosplayer

Last edited by OniCourseMusha : 01-08-2013 at 02:49 AM.
OniCourseMusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #36
Angelic_Sabyne
SuperGal in Training!

This was my first ALA, and overall it was a good time. I came with my boyfriend, who manned the PMX fan table throughout the weekend, and I really had a good time! I will echo some of what others have said about the Dealer's Hall, the alcohol, and the crowds. The crowds especially felt bad whenever I either a) was on a schedule and needed to get somewhere, and/or b) I was in my ballgown Saturday pre-Masquerade. I learned to compensate by leaving extra 'cushion' time to reach scheduled meetings/events so I didn't have to run or risk being late.

Everyone was awesome! Special thanks to the Masquerade people, my first masquerade rocked!

Facebook
Tumblr
Storenvy Shop

Upcoming 2014 Conventions

Anime Los Angeles
Anime Conji (?)
Fanime
Anime California (?)
Pacific Media Expo

'If at first you don't succeed, pull out the stitches, realign your fabric pieces, and sew it again.'
Angelic_Sabyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #37
daylight
Sugar Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chireiyu View Post
This was my first time at ALA (Days 2 and 3) and I had a so-so experience. The only con I've gone to is AX (since '06) so this was my first anime convention other than the massive behemoth that AX has become. I'm hoping to find a smaller con that suits me well and I'm not so sure if ALA is it...
You should look into PMX this year, its small, and a bit more media orientated
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #38
chireiyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylight View Post
You should look into PMX this year, its small, and a bit more media orientated
I'm highly considering going to PMX so thanks for your suggestion~! It definitely makes me want to check it out even more. :3
chireiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #39
TheCapt1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by chireiyu View Post
What really added some negative points to my ALA experience other than the abnormally large amount of people with con funk was the Doki Doki Maid Cafe. I'm sorry but please PLEASE invite a different maid cafe to ALA next year. They practically ruined my day 3. I would elaborate more on how horrible my experience was with them but I know they're not exactly affiliated with ALA. (But if you really want to know you could probably find my blog post through google or something...)
Can you please send an email to 'liveprog2013@animelosangeles.org' with any details you can share relating to this? We would like to gather as much information as possible.

Thank you,

Alec Orrock
www.animelosangeles.org
TheCapt1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #40
AniBabe

I thought the con was great. Although there wasn't many merchandise booths, the cosplays were great and the pool deck was an excellent setting for photoshoot pictures. It got a bit cramped and my friend and I were frequently trying to figure out what to do. I wish the hotel was a bit bigger, then it would be perfect Great con and it was nice to tide me over while waiting for AX 2013
.: @KawaiiKos :.
AniBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #41
Anagon
For Aiur

Quote:
I have to agree with this. At this point, I'm really disappointed on the sheer volume of people who couldn't control themselves while drinking.

I hate to say this, but either con attendants need to learn to better control themselves with their liquor, or ALA is going to have to crack down on letting people drink at the con. There are people coming to ALA specifically to party and drink. Several see ALA as a party con first and an anime convention second.

I'm going to be pushing for better outline of rules when it comes to Alcohol at ALA. At least crack down more on people wandering with open alcohol and push for those who are hosting party to host a little restraint on what they let their party goers do.

I was approached by at least two people carrying kiddy buckets of alcohol(one said she walked right by security with her booze bucket and they said nothing), we had at least one possible drunk balcony jumper on Saturday(thankfully only from the second floor but still, out of line), and one drunk who was getting rowdy before Taco Party started(Thankfully it was handled quickly) I really don't have a problem with people drinking, I have a problem with people who have a lack of self control.
I'm sorry you folks had a negative experience with drunks at this con. I was the one who brought the hookah and booze downstairs to the outdoor area on thursday/friday/saturday night. I love ALA casue it seems to be socal's only convention where people over the age of 18 can get at least reasonably rowdy. I don't believe the convention should crack down on alcohol. No matter what there are always goign to be some people that can't handle their booze. The majority of us can. I know I was rather drunk the entire con, but at my party outside if someone couldn't handle their liquor, i quieted everyone down and made a check of who was drinking, who shouldn't be drinking, and if anyone knew the person who needed to be taken care of us. We all have to be more responsible with our alcohol, but it shouldn't be monitored as heavily as you seem to be recommending (if i'm wrong with what you're suggesting, please let me know).
Anagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #42
Anagon
For Aiur

the only problem i saw alcohol posing was possibly noise. For the most part the massive group of drunk people I was wrangling kept to themselves and it was a jolly old time.
Anagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
LKD
Is a princess!!

My only complaint was the masquerade. Me and my friends aren't entering it again.
We weren't upset with the judging when it happened but the anger came after she had multiple staff and judges come up saying that they wanted to give more and other awards to her but couldn't because they could only give them to beginners or something along those lines since they all said different things.

The fact that they would keep coming to apologize is ridiculous. Obviously something is wrong with the system with one person apologizing, but staff after staff is just bullshit.
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #44
ScarletRhapsody
way past weird

@Anagon: I don't like livengood was directing anything at you. I know she's speaking on general terms.

Generally speaking, I don't think any con should go full prohibition, yet maybe post something like the guidelines for Arisia. I do know ALA has staffers that have done the SF/F party cons and those are usually handled gracefully and classy. At the end of the day, it boils down to drinking and partying responsibly. Perhaps ALA could run a series of panels at local cons on how to throw themed room parties (these SF/F people go all out!) and how to help out a friend if they had too much. I saw a lot of misinformation posted about the latter on Facebook invites.

The party vibe I got can be best summarized with this quote from Family Guy, "Aren't you too old to be underage drinking?"
ScarletRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #45
OniCourseMusha
Brain Age Guy

It's sad that there's more people that can't control themselves when they get drunk. Especially the people while waiting to get in the taco party.
Fanime E-gaming Staff
Fanime B&W Ball Dance Assistance and Staff 2008-2011
SakuraCon Masquerade Ball's dance host
Facebook
Deviantart ACE Cosplayer
OniCourseMusha is offline   Reply With Quote