Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #5341
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Why not?

It's just another way of playing, I used to do it a lot when I was younger. "I wonder how fast I can 100% Sonic 3 and Knuckles", the answer was a little over an hour. A speedrun is like challenging yourself.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #5342
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Eh, I don't see the point of speedruns for an open world game.
For games like Sonic, Katamari, probably any platformer, then sure. I'm not saying that you shouldn't with an open world game but if you do you're missing most of what the game has to offer. If you've already seen it all, yeah sure, it's another way to play the game. Just one that I don't find very interesting. I'm a lot more impressed with the OneBros.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #5343
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

If it has an ending, it can be speedrun'd.

I assume the guy knows Dark Souls front to back, hence that "glitch" he uses near the end.
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #5344
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
If it has an ending, it can be speedrun'd.
*sigh* I never said that it couldn't. I will rephrase my original statement - doing a speedrun in an open world game is something that holds no value for me and therefore I am unimpressed by someone who does them and don't consider it a sign of manliness. The end.
Unread 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #5345
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

I understand, but open world is just another gameplay element to me.
Unread 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #5346
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Eh, I don't see the point of speedruns for an open world game. Besides, real men have endurance, not speed.
I see what you did there. Regardless, speedruns for Dark Souls are totally valid, since (unlike Morrowind, for example, which can be utterly broken and beaten in under 7 minutes) the player is required to complete certain objectives (e.g. ring the bells, and suffer through Anal Rondo) and kill a dozen or so bosses before they can fight Gwyn. It's less about standing your ground and fighting everything in sight, and more about fighting only what you must to raise your levels for the build that you need (a test of manliness in itself) and strategically plotting your course through the entirety of Lordran in a time-efficient manner. (thus having both the brains and the balls.)

It's essentially like doing a bare-minimum item run in Super Metroid, since the game's design allows for enough sequence-breaking to make it an open-world game... which impresses me almost as much as minimalist Demon's/Dark Souls speedruns. Also take into account that they're doing a 1-life, single-segment run of a game where you're meant to die at least a hundred times.

Last edited by Zweihander : 01-08-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Zweihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #5347
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Yeah, I'm sure if you wanted to do an all bosses run you can.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario64.html

You can speed through a game in any way you wish, hence all those damn categories.

Also, sometimes they do an audio commentary with the video, finding out that some people run through the game over 1000 times is mind boggling.

Last edited by Arc_The_Lad : 01-08-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #5348
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
Also take into account that they're doing a 1-life, single-segment run of a game where you're meant to die at least a hundred times.
Ah. An excellent point which I had over-looked. Still not my thing, but now I'm more impressed. But only by their gaming skills. Gaming skills have nothing to do with manliness.
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #5349
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Really enjoying The Walking Dead. I finished episode 1 last night. I can officially only play it when my boyfriend is watching (he calls it his movie), so I've been going through more of the Homestead missions in Assassin's Creed 3 when he's not around to watch. I'm not usually so much of a completionist in AC games, but it's been a lot of fun!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #5350
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Really enjoying The Walking Dead. I finished episode 1 last night. I can officially only play it when my boyfriend is watching (he calls it his movie),
That is so cute!

Tried the XCOM demo - not my thing.

Tried the Arkham City demo (I know - slowpoke.jpg) - Sort of like it, but I'm a little iffy on it. Partly it reminded me a lot of AssCreed and I was underwhelmed by AC3; partly, OMG, Harley Quinn's voice is SO fucking annoying!

Tried The Unfinished Swan demo. Really liked it and thought I could handle the first person mechanic so I bought the game. I was wrong. The mechanic changes slightly after the first section and I started getting nauseous.

Now playing PaPo&Yo. So far I love it. The puzzles are simple, but I love how they shift the surrondings. The music is great. Also toy robot and frogs! I love the way it's telling the story.
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #5351
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Tried the Arkham City demo (I know - slowpoke.jpg) - Sort of like it, but I'm a little iffy on it. Partly it reminded me a lot of AssCreed and I was underwhelmed by AC3; partly, OMG, Harley Quinn's voice is SO fucking annoying!
Yeah the downgrad to Tara Reid as Harley kinda sucked. I like Arkham City a lot as a game though. The combat was sweet, and playinng as the Bat owned. The narrative was a little iffy at times though, and honestly the 2 Arkham games, IMO, have been stronger than anything Ubisoft has managed to off with Ass Creed to date. Have you tried/played Arkham Aslyum, because if not, you may want to start there.

Purchased Anarchy Reigns last night. I like it, but yeah, it's not up to Platinum's usually golden standard. Taking it online is fun though, says the guy who refuses to play as anyone other than Bayonetta.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #5352
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Yeah the downgrad to Tara Reid as Harley kinda sucked. I like Arkham City a lot as a game though. The combat was sweet, and playinng as the Bat owned. The narrative was a little iffy at times though, and honestly the 2 Arkham games, IMO, have been stronger than anything Ubisoft has managed to off with Ass Creed to date. Have you tried/played Arkham Aslyum, because if not, you may want to start there.
Oh man, that was Tara Reid? No wonder it was so grating. And actually, I enjoyed some of the aspects of the AssCreed combat. It was more that having just finished it, I'm not really anxious to play another game in that style right away. I've put it in the category of "If I see it at a good price and I'm in the mood then I'll pick it up." I did like being able to swish my cape.
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #5353
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Ah. An excellent point which I had over-looked. Still not my thing, but now I'm more impressed. But only by their gaming skills. Gaming skills have nothing to do with manliness.
Dunno about that. I actually know a girl who gets turned on by her boyfriend's madd block-climbing skillz in Catherine.

Oh well. If you want manly, check this shit--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAAU01mn-k8
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #5354
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Guess we just have different criteria for manliness.
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #5355
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Oh man, that was Tara Reid? No wonder it was so grating. And actually, I enjoyed some of the aspects of the AssCreed combat. It was more that having just finished it, I'm not really anxious to play another game in that style right away. I've put it in the category of "If I see it at a good price and I'm in the mood then I'll pick it up." I did like being able to swish my cape.
Yeah, Harley's original VA didn't come back to the voice her in AC.

You can probably find both games for fairly cheap now. I think I paid like $25 for both on PC awhile ago, so I imagine Best Buy, Amazon or Gamestop sells them for about $20-$30 a piece now. You can skip over the GOTY editions, since all they offer are variant skins and map stuff. No in-game DLC.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote