Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
ambientvoid

ginormous gloves/gauntlets

So i want to do a Battle Chasers cosplay this summer, i want to do Calibretto and im trying to persuade my tiny friend to come as Gully. Ref pic: Gully

For the most part it seems to be a simple costume but those huge gloves are causing me a bit of a headache, how would people suggest i go about replicating gloves this huge? They don't need to move, they just need to be wearable in this curled finger pose. Her actual fingers don't need to be in the gloves fingers just somewhere inside the glove body so they stay on her hands for photo ops etc...

Any help would be awesome as i need to construct similarly huge gauntlets for Calibretto.

Evangelion - need moar foam!

Pokeball costume - 90% done. Shiny Whimsicott backpack to do

Calibretto (Battle Chasers) - 25% done. Most materials gathered, stuck on torso armour though... -_-

Bonaparte (DTP) - 13% done. Some materials gathered. Planning.
ambientvoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I'd say start with something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-gloves-39664.html
Look in the description, the length of those gloves is 14" so they're pretty darn big.

Find something to stuff inside the fingers to make them hold that shape - perhaps a "skeleton" made out of bits of PVC pipe, lots of short bits of pipe, coupled with 45-degree and 90-degree elbows.

Then you'll probably need to attach some regular-sized gloves inside them so she has something to hold onto, to keep the gloves on.

Then stuff the rest of the gloves with a batting of some sort to make them hold their shape.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
verdatum
Extremely registered user

I'd make "hands" out of furniture foam. It's sold in most of the larger fabric stores. stack crossection layers on top of eachother and glue them together with spray-adhesive. Then sew a glove over top of that. You can pin the fabric together on top of the glove inside-out, then sew it up, take it off, then turn it back inside right, it should go on the other hand, and the seams will all be hidden. For that to work, you must make sure the hands are good mirror images of each other.

Cutting furniture foam can be a little tricky. Hot-wire cutting tools work best, but with a bit of practice, you can make due with scissors and sharp knives. Since none of the foam will be visible, you can pretty easily fix your mistakes just by gluing on more pieces of foam.

You can either slice a slit in the middle of the hands and just let friction hold them in place, or you can hollow out a core and fix some sort of handle in place. Personally, I'd try doing the slit first, and if that didn't hold well enough, I'd look into trying to install a handle. Though, if you fit the handle in place as you stack up the layers of foam to make the hand, you could probably anchor the handle much more securely. PVC pipe or a wooden dowel about 1'' in diameter should do the trick.
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
ambientvoid

Those welding gauntlets look like a good possibility for Gullys gloves and if it turns out that they're too small i can always pick them apart and use them to make scaled up templates for the furniture foam approach

I also found this which might be an interesting approach to a more interactive prop:articulated hand

Evangelion - need moar foam!

Pokeball costume - 90% done. Shiny Whimsicott backpack to do

Calibretto (Battle Chasers) - 25% done. Most materials gathered, stuck on torso armour though... -_-

Bonaparte (DTP) - 13% done. Some materials gathered. Planning.

Last edited by ambientvoid : 01-09-2013 at 03:02 PM.
ambientvoid is offline   Reply With Quote