Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Question Rigid Collodion effects

I'm planning to cosplay Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin soon. Most people know that he has a cross-shaped scar on his cheek. I've decided to go the Rigid Collodion route so I ordered a bottle yesterday. What I wonder is if it's possible to paint on top of the Rigid Collodion, after it's dry, with creme foundations (I have a red one, Graftobian brand I think) and/or grease make-up to create a cool scar "depth" effect? Dunno how to explain what I mean.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version
Eren Yeager (casual outfit) - Attack on Titan
Levi (suit) - Attack on Titan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Desucon Frostbite (13-15 February 2015)
FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Nostrum
R4Hscal

You can do an initial colouring underneath the rigid collodion using something like eyeliner/eye pencil in the colour you need. I know youtube has a lot of tutorials in regards to increasing the depth of the scar.

You'll also gain depth with the more layers you put on. Just remember to let each layer dry fully as you go.

And yes, you an apply makeup over the top, just be sure to be gentle when you're applying it so you don't run the risk of lifting the rigid collodion.
As far as underneath goes, I don't think something like greasepaint would work, as it needs to be able to bond well to the skin in order to pull in and create the puckering effect.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Thank you for the helpful information!
I'll be sure to check tutorials on Youtube and experiment with it before the con!

*~In progress~*

FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
vervv
Vervv

Rigid collodion, a favorite of mine! I had to use some to get the cheek scar for this costume: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3208066/

Anyways, in order to make it look real, you should have a nice, clean surface, so greasepaint on the bottom probably isn't a good idea. Buy a red lipliner pencil and sketch on your scar. Don't do it too dark! Next, use layers and layers of RC. I usually stop at around 5 or 6 layers, you may need more or less. RC will make the 3D shape/depth you are looking for, and you may need more or less layers. To finish it off, I bought some cheap pink/red lip gloss from the dollar store and gently paint into the scar. Trust me when I say it looks real, and you wont need to put greasepaint into the scar to make it look real.

Also, nothing removes this stuff. Just pull around the edges of the scar, and screech while ripping it off. Less layers=less pain
vervv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Thank you vervv, I'll keep that in mind!

I wonder though.. would a tiny bit of grease paint on top of the scar work at all? I have one with a shade of color I feel I want to try out.. but if it won't stick to the surface of the RC it's no use. Anyone know?

*~In progress~*

FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
miyatree
chocobo hunter extreme.

For the love of god, if you're going to use RC several days in a row on the same spot, don't rip it off! You will end up actually scarring your skin. Buy spirit gum remover! It *does* work. You just need patience. ^_^
Anime North 2014: Hanji Zoe (Attack on Titan)

warfiend
Anime North 2014: Masrur (Magi)
Anime North 2014: Rivaille (Attack on Titan)
miyatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyatree View Post
For the love of god, if you're going to use RC several days in a row on the same spot, don't rip it off! You will end up actually scarring your skin. Buy spirit gum remover! It *does* work. You just need patience. ^_^
I thought spirit gum remover would work.. luckily I have a bottle that I purchased some years ago when I bought elf ears.

*~In progress~*

FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I don't know if I've ever tried putting creme makeup on top of the scar. Eyebrow pencil, yes, but not creme. All I can say is, experiment and let us know how it goes!

I regularly use rigid collodion for my Shuuhei and Luffy scars, and just darken them with a little brown eyebrow pencil. Not that I don't have a bajillion creme makeups I could test, it was just faster and easier to grab an eyebrow pencil and draw on top of the dried scar.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
vervv
Vervv

Spirit gum remover didn't work for me, and I tried for a while. D: Putting it in the same place several days in a row will definitely irritate/damage to your skin. I think grease paint in the scar may look fake, but experimentation is always good!
vervv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:44 AM   #10
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
I don't know if I've ever tried putting creme makeup on top of the scar. Eyebrow pencil, yes, but not creme. All I can say is, experiment and let us know how it goes!

I regularly use rigid collodion for my Shuuhei and Luffy scars, and just darken them with a little brown eyebrow pencil. Not that I don't have a bajillion creme makeups I could test, it was just faster and easier to grab an eyebrow pencil and draw on top of the dried scar.
Oh alright!
I think I'll try it just in case and report my results here! I should have time enough to come up with something that gives the effect I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vervv View Post
Spirit gum remover didn't work for me, and I tried for a while. D: Putting it in the same place several days in a row will definitely irritate/damage to your skin. I think grease paint in the scar may look fake, but experimentation is always good!
Okay, I'll keep that in mind. I'm just going to cosplay Kenshin on Friday so I hope it'll be okay because on Saturday I will be another character who has no scars..

I'll experiment and see what happens.

*~In progress~*

FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

I got the Rigid Collodion today and tried it out at once. I tried the eyeliner pencil method first and I think I'll go with it. It gives the look I was going for and I won't have to buy anything new.

Here is the link to my try-out:
http://valkoinensamurai.blogspot.com...r-testing.html

*~In progress~*

FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???