Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Ivy Sun

Need help please! i have a coat but skirt

so i have made this coat (yes i used Simplicity 2172 as the base and changed the sleeves and a few other minor details) and i plan to wear a corset for the top but im having issues on type of skirt. i want something short (above the knee but not so short i cant bend over. . .been there done that) i have been playing with the idea of a bustle but im not sure as the back dosent split high enough to show it off.
im also playing with an idea of a gathered or bubble skirt with a hoop underneath. like Simplicity 1819 the skirt on the left (the shorter one)

please help!! also jacket is a blue black with a black lining. still debating on the colour of embroiderery work that will be done on it. im trying to go for a steam punk feel but possibly failing as it is my first one. i have a few pieces of jewlery and other things im adding to it to make it more SP-ish but i feel like im trying to do to much to it. I want goggles but fear that it might make it to cluttered and i feel that im trying to go in to many directions with it. If it helps i am willing to post more pictures of it at the current stages and things i have for it.
most of the accents are silver not bronze btw.

foot wear isnt really an issue i have several that will fit this so no worres on that. also would like it done for Anime North in may.
AAAHHHHHH so confused need help!!! please!!

Infinite Pocket Cosplay (previously known as Mad_sew)
"Your costume is my passion!"
mad_sew@hotmail.com

2014 Con line up
Feb- Con G
May- Anime North
Ivy Sun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

If you want a skirt that you won't have to worry about bending over in, why not do a nice circle skirt or short A-line one with a petticoat and then put a bustle and apron drape over it, like in the pattern you linked? That would give you the short skirt you are looking for, with the added Victorian-esque part with the bustle. And you can go with or without the bustle and apron if you want to and just wear the coat and skirt sometimes. You can mix it up some so that you won't be tied down to just one single look with the outfit.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Have you thought of a Bloomer Costume? You could have your bubble skirt and you won't have to worry about bending over. Most Bloomer Costumes are multiple pieces and you can mix and match like Mehdia suggested.

Last edited by Ororo Monroe : 01-08-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Ororo Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Bruzee
Princess of Doom

What about something long in the back and short in the front, or hitching up the front of a lon skirt with ribbon or some other cording?
Bruzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
Ivy Sun

thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I have made some changes to the original plan and i finally have a direction i want to take it in. compleat with a prop!
Steam punk Inspired Time Mage! whoo! and i dont mean the Final fantasy job class.
so changes to the jacket include- no collar but a HOOD!! yea not really steam punk more mage- ish.
-no shoulder winggy thing. those are GOne! did not like those, im not even sure why I was even thinking of keeping them.
-I have solidified what embroiderer patterns im putting on them. the only place I was iffy on was the hood.
Changes to skirt: Offically going with a circle skirt. maybe a double circle skirt WITH petticoat. got the crushed velvet for it.
Other changes: Im making Tall Spats with the "wrap it in tape" method. with zipper on the inside and a corsety type lacing on the out side where the buttons go. need to get size 00 silver gromits!!!! making those out of sude.
officially going with a white wig and adding things, and goggles to it and cataract contacts to give the 'all seeing eyes' thing (I was thinking like the Gatekeeper from Thor but it turns out hes got organgey- red contacts in) like this http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/hallow...prod97283.html
Oh prop. odd looking clock thing with gears and things. will post when i have something solidified

I have a lot of work to do before AN in may and 2 other costumes to get done first so it should be fun to do.
thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!! you really helped!

mad_sew@hotmail.com

2014 Con line up
Feb- Con G
May- Anime North
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

That sounds like a great idea. I had done sketches for a steampunkish time traveler and the Guardian of the Gates of Time but haven't created the costumes. So I get excited when others get ideas along those lines and begin to make them. I really want to see it when you get it all done; it seems like it will be really wonderful.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
Ivy Sun

hey everyone! I didn't get everything done in time for Anime North 2013 but I like to think I looked sorta cool. going to make some changes to parts and make a different skirt and work on proper boots but thats for a later date. enjoy the current version of it Ps thanks to everyone who helped me out.

http://ivysun.deviantart.com/art/Taking-aim-388316725

mad_sew@hotmail.com

2014 Con line up
Feb- Con G
May- Anime North