Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photoshoot Scheduling

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
YavannaCosplay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Let me explain something to you all: this is a market economy, ruled by supply and demand. When the supply is equal to the demand, you have market equilibrium. Anyone running a business has to find the point at which supply is equal to demand, otherwise you'll have a shortage or a surplus. If JL7 charged less, there'd be a shortage of her service, in this case photo sessions, and people who wanted to purchases packages with her wouldn't be able to. Clearly, if she has been able to book the perfect amount of customers at past conventions, she's found the perfect pricing point for her business. And judging by her body of work, her business is going quite well. Good for her! It's difficult to maintain a successful business in this economy... and photographers' expenses aren't cheap. Good quality cameras run near $1,000. You need lighting equipment and editing software and last time I checked, photoshop cs5 was $600 (to obtain a legal copy, of course). Then there's time and travel expenses involved also.
It's basic economics, guys. If you don't want to buy it, don't. Just because you don't want that good or service for yourself doesn't mean there isn't any demand for it... it just means that it isn't right for you. Don't degrade JL7's business just because you guys aren't interested. If you aren't, move along and find something that suits your needs. Don't waste your time and breath hatin.
And wow, telling someone to kill themselves just because you don't want the good/service they're offering? That's so immature. Do you walk into walmart, look at a shirt you don't like, and say "kill yourself" to the manufacturer of that garment? No, you probably don't, because that's a little psychotic. The good thing about our economy is that there are many goods available to us at varying prices. We can look for the quality, quantity, and price of what we want, are there are usually many options. This works the same for photography at conventions. If you have extra money and you're willing to pay for quality, then that's your right. If you don't, that's your right too!
Let me put it in plains terms for you cosplayers: when making a costume, you have a lot of choices of fabrics and a variety of different prices. You can make a dress with costume satin for very cheap, or you can spend $15+ a yard on bridal satin. They're both satin, but at different qualities. What's right for one person might not be right for another, but the decision is left up to the individual. If the price difference isn't worth the extra enjoyment you'll get out of the expensive fabric, then you DON'T HAVE TO PURCHASE IT. You can move on and go for the cheaper fabric.
That's life, guys! And it's a GOOD feature of our lives... we can choose what we want and we have many options. There are stores in New York that charge $5 for a shirt and there are stores that charge $100. What suits your needs doesn't necessarily suit someone else's.
I just think it's sad that we're putting down other people's businesses just because we're not interested in their prices. That's stupid. Personally, I LOVE having the option to save up my money and splurge on something high-quality once in a while, although I normally can't spend a lot on things that aren't necessities. I'm sure you all do also, since cosplay is quite an expensive hobby.
YavannaCosplay is offline  
 
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #17
milo1312
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 81
I just don't think its cool to attack a photography because of the price.

and say these bad things only because of the price....like wow!!!

if you don't want to work with her for what ever reason don't but don't leave this stupid hateful comments.

someone said glossy prints is expected for 150 an hour do you know how much photo paper is? good photo paper its expensive!! i buy decent paper for school and its 50 bucks for 30 sheets!!! lets not talk about the INK!!!

Do you know how much time someone can spend editing photos hrs and hrs!!

i dont agree with the price because i personally would add a little more for that but to be honest its a fair price a decent price.

Editing photos takes up lots of time!!!

you say 300 bucks for 1 hr....this if far from the truth it might have been one hr of shooting but trust me we plan before hand what we would like to get for shoots and do research which take up a few hrs lets say 5 for fun. Then editing take up a bunch of time i could easy take 200 photos in 30 min. So i have to go through 200 photos see what ones i like and don't and organize these photos. I am have not starting the editing part yet just saying yes no no yes o maybe no yes this about 2 hrs for fun.

Then we have the photos we want to work with then we edit this all depends on how many photos we have lets say from 200 photos we have 50 we really like about 15 min basic edits for each photo so thats 4 photos each hour then thats 12 hrs of work for basic edits.

then we have to post the photos lets add 2 more hrs.

So lets see 1+5+2+12+2=22hrs of work for each 30 min shoot 22 hrs for 150 bucks yes please complain more! i am sure you would not work for that kind of money!!

Point is if you don't like it you make a choice and not to work with them. don't be so hateful and disrespectful

Also as a photographer myself her work is great!!!!

Also there is only two reasons why photographers don't charge one-because they want to enjoy the con the photos and work on the photos at there own pace...when you charge you promise something...when you do a free shoot all your asking hey can i take your photo you promise nothing!

and two-most photographer that are doing free shoots are not real photographers....they are a person who got a nice camera and think that makes them a photographer


Jessica Sevin i think your work is great keep doing what your doing and forget these negative people.
milo1312 is offline  
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #18
sonikku10
Registered User
 
sonikku10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 40
Wow, I'm actually quite offended by that long two-part post.

You misunderstand the point of why a lot of us do cosplay photography. It is not a business for us. It is good, clean fun for photographers and cosplayers alike. I do it because I want to. My $20 fee is only to cover travel expenses (and even then, I often end up in the red), and every now and then, I'll offer free shoots to some close cosplayer friends of mine. And guess what -- I'm not some creepy old guy who uses my photos to degrade women. I have a name and reputation to uphold. I am NOT going to ruin it.

And why am I not charging $150? Because I know what goes into a cosplay. The amount of time, money, blood, sweat, and tears that go into them. Not to mention the con-related expenses... Let's face it: without cosplayers, there would be no cosplay photography. I feel that we, as cosplay photographers, owe them great photos for minimal (or no) cost.

Feel free to take a look my pages. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.
__________________
Ýrz_Phtgrphy
deviantArtFacebookWebsite

Convention Schedule for 2014
MegaCon・MomoCon・Knightrokon・Otakon・Anime Weekend Atlanta

Last edited by sonikku10 : 01-09-2013 at 04:05 AM.
sonikku10 is offline  
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #19
Fangfox
Registered User
 
Fangfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
I was going to sit back and watch how this thread developed but that double post rustled my jimmies. To take what sonikku10 just said cosplay photography isnt a business for us. You are not going to be able to run around cons charging middle to high end wedding photography prices to 16 year old kid that spend most of their money making the the cosplay.

The photography community already catches a lot of flack for charging at con and this thread prove that.
__________________
I'm just a guy with a camera
Fangfox is offline  
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
4ng31
meh.
 
4ng31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikku10 View Post
Wow, I'm actually quite offended by that long two-part post.
This.

And it's always the same response whenever someone is questioned about their actions/pricing...OH GEAR COSTS SO MUCH...OH TRAVEL COSTS SO MUCH...OH EDITING TAKES SO LONG...blah blah blah...

This is all bullshit. If you're too broke to go out and share in the passion for this hobby/culture, just go away. I own 2 SLR myself, an iMac with all editing software installed, travel to roughly 5/6 conventions a year and make, on average, 2 new costumes for each one. Yet, I'm not sitting here on an online forum begging for absurd amounts of money to cover my expenses. No, I don't like coming off as pathetic and sad...

All I know is most of us do this (photography and cosplaying) because it's something we love to do. It's fun. As sonikku said, there would be no one without the other...seems a lot of people forget about that...

And on that note...I don't like your pricing structure because frankly, I see it as exploitive. I look through OP's photos and I see a bunch of no-names desperate for pictures...so desperate in fact they are willing to spend $150+ on some valueless digital photos. There are many other photographers out there willing to take their pictures (in fact, the only reason this thread was brought to my attention was because it was posted right before a friend of mine's who is also shooting at Katsu...for free...ironic I suppose).
__________________
4ng31 is offline  
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Zoroko
ZO ZO FIGHT THE POWAH
 
Zoroko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikku10 View Post
Wow, I'm actually quite offended by that long two-part post.

I'm not some creepy old guy who uses my photos to degrade women. I have a name and reputation to uphold. I am NOT going to ruin it.
yeah wow I guess I am an old creepy dude because I do free photography, WOW I NEVER KNEW I changed sexes and gained 30+ years! seriously, who says this. :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikku10 View Post
And why am I not charging $150? Because I know what goes into a cosplay. The amount of time, money, blood, sweat, and tears that go into them. Not to mention the con-related expenses... Let's face it: without cosplayers, there would be no cosplay photography. I feel that we, as cosplay photographers, owe them great photos for minimal (or no) cost.
I agree with this for the most part.

To add, yes editing and taking time with shoots takes a good chunk of time. But I do it for free because it's fun and challenging!

Last edited by Zoroko : 01-09-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Zoroko is offline  
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
4ng31
meh.
 
4ng31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo1312 View Post
Also there is only two reasons why photographers don't charge one-because they want to enjoy the con the photos and work on the photos at there own pace...when you charge you promise something...when you do a free shoot all your asking hey can i take your photo you promise nothing!

and two-most photographer that are doing free shoots are not real photographers....they are a person who got a nice camera and think that makes them a photographer
Sorry for the double post, but I just noticed this. There is so much wrong with this statement that I just want to reference you back to my second reply in this thread.

When it comes to art, you can NEVER promise anything. You can make your best attempt to deliver to a client, but nothing is EVER guaranteed.

And to call people who don't charge not "real photographers"...are you retarded? Have you never heard of TFP/TFCD? Have you never heard of, apparently, not "real photographer" shooting for exposure (such as doing photos for magazines features)? Do you have any clue how a real photographer works? Seriously?
__________________
4ng31 is offline  
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
Lothlin
Registered User
 
Lothlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 952
Good job insulting all free photographers by calling them creepers.

Also, sure, editing takes up a lot of time, but you know what ELSE takes a lot of time? Making a costume. A LOT of time and money, but you don't see me going around everywhere charging photographers to take my picture.

This hobby is a two-way street. Sure, there are places where professional photographers can go to get paid, but in my opinion, cons are not the right place. Are you getting permission from the convention to make a profit off of them?

I stand firm by the opinion that the only people that are going to be paying that much are ignorant newbies, and taking advantage of people new to the hobby is just not right in my opinion.
Lothlin is offline  
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #24
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography
 
nathancarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikku10 View Post
You misunderstand the point of why a lot of us do cosplay photography. It is not a business for us. It is good, clean fun for photographers and cosplayers alike. I do it because I want to. My $20 fee is only to cover travel expenses (and even then, I often end up in the red), and every now and then, I'll offer free shoots to some close cosplayer friends of mine.
Right. I have a real photography business with corporate clients. If I'm doing product shots and business headshots, it's almost always the same old tried-and-true (AND BORING) techniques. I shoot cosplayers and performers for fun, and to experiment with new gear and techniques in a low-pressure environment.

I'll sometimes charge cosplayers a little fee just to put toward my own travel expenses, or more importantly to make sure I'm booking people who are serious about their craft and serious about having some top-notch photos done. It helps weed out the "lookers," the people who just slap on a pair of cat ears and a clip-on tail and just want some free snapshots. I'll waive the fee if I think I'll get content that really shines in my portfolio, or if I'm experimenting with new tricks and not sure if the results will be up to my usual standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikku10 View Post
And guess what -- I'm not some creepy old guy who uses my photos to degrade women. I have a name and reputation to uphold. I am NOT going to ruin it.
I'm an old guy - well, older than most on this board anyway - but I try not to be creepy?
I'm not in it just for the cute girls in revealing costumes; I've gotten just about as many great photos from guy performers and costumers as from girls.

However, it's naive to argue that there aren't creepers with cameras out there. In the professional photography community, they're referred to as GWCs (Guy With Camera); usually implying that they're using their Best Buy DSLR and some free business cards from Vistaprint to create a false air of legitimacy, just to try to get a look at the pink bits. Unfortunately, these guys bring down the photography trade as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikku10 View Post
And why am I not charging $150? Because I know what goes into a cosplay. The amount of time, money, blood, sweat, and tears that go into them. Not to mention the con-related expenses... Let's face it: without cosplayers, there would be no cosplay photography. I feel that we, as cosplay photographers, owe them great photos for minimal (or no) cost.
I disagree a bit here; I don't feel that I OWE anyone anything. I've put just about as much time and sweat into my photography craft as anyone has into their cosplay craft; and I'd say that I've put more money into it than just about any cosplayer.

OUTSIDE of the cosplay photography community, this sort of attitude is very really frowned upon by the pros. You simply can't stay in business doing free shoots, or $20 shoots, or even $100 shoots. If you think you can, it's because you haven't done a proper assessment of your true costs of doing business; or at best you're supporting your photography business with another job. (or someone else is paying your rent and utilities).

Cliffs:
Doing it for free/cheap because I enjoy it, not because I expect to make any money at it.
__________________

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline  
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
milo1312
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ng31 View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I just noticed this. There is so much wrong with this statement that I just want to reference you back to my second reply in this thread.

When it comes to art, you can NEVER promise anything. You can make your best attempt to deliver to a client, but nothing is EVER guaranteed.

And to call people who don't charge not "real photographers"...are you retarded? Have you never heard of TFP/TFCD? Have you never heard of, apparently, not "real photographer" shooting for exposure (such as doing photos for magazines features)? Do you have any clue how a real photographer works? Seriously?
Did you read the whole thing? I said some don't charge because they enjoy doing it for free and have there reason to do it for free then there another group that don't charge because they are fake i never said everyone who does it for free is not a real photographer.

If it sounded like that i will say sorry thats not what i meant. Only saying there is two groups thats all my mistake if it sounded how you said.


Also you can think what you want of her prices but lots of people have attacked her saying she is takes advantage of people? She is not forcing anyone to pay her and no one is forcing anyone to work with her its a free choice anyone can say no....also if this was for portraits this would be a good price but because you put cosplay it must be free? i don't think so.

reason i do it for free is because i am doing as practice like another person said testing stuff out. trying new things out ect....

I don't think its right the way some of you have attacked her....others gave some good reasons why not to charge that much in a respectful way but others were rude and mean.

But in the end its her choice to charge what ever she wants....if you don't think your getting a good deal you don't work with her.........you don't think her work is not good enough you don't work with her.....you don't agree with what she charges and want to say something fine but be respectful don't attack.

this whole thread has made me sick and sad
milo1312 is offline  
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #26
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica
 
Hime no Toki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,764
This thread is getting locked. If anyone wishes to conduct business with the photographer, please message her.

Thank you.
__________________


2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!


http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.