Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3908 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #62581
momomilk

Hungry and bored at work. Thinking where I should get lunch :P
momomilk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #62582
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I read another article somewhere (I'm reading an awful lot of articles for a movie I have no intention of seeing) that talked about "the Django effect"; the awkward moment in a mixed-race audience where you don't know whether or not it's okay to laugh at the violence on screen.
Just read the first article you linked to. It was interesting. Especially given my sister's comment which was that while she really liked the movie, she wished that Django had had more of a personality and that Broomhilda had had any at all. :/ Not having seen it and not intending to see it, I can't argue the point one way or another.

And I realize that one of Tarantino's goals is to make us uncomfortable. Goal achieved. Which is why I give him credit as a director. But I go to see movies strictly as entertainment. I get plenty of discomfort from other sources.

Last edited by The Hag : 01-09-2013 at 02:23 PM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #62583
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I am indifferent to the movie, and the director.

'Dark humor' doesn't bother me, but there does come a point where my limit is pushed with using violence as comedy and as such Tarantino isn't going a director I have a particular loyalty to.

It's probably not something I'd see, maybe I'd rent it some time in the future, but from what I know about it there's nothing that I find particularly drawing about it. e
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #62584
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
but from what I know about it there's nothing that I find particularly drawing about it.
Well, I'm interested in that historical period. And I certainly appreciate that he wanted to make a movie portraying slavery as the brutal obscenity that it is. It's something that has for the most part been *ahem* whitewashed by Hollywood. But just reading books about slavery in the US is tough enough for me. I don't want to see it playacted on the screen. It's just not my thing.
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #62585
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Well, I'm interested in that historical period. And I certainly appreciate that he wanted to make a movie portraying slavery as the brutal obscenity that it is. It's something that has for the most part been *ahem* whitewashed by Hollywood. But just reading books about slavery in the US is tough enough for me. I don't want to see it playacted on the screen. It's just not my thing.
From what I've heard, others think the effort and overall goal of the film; that is the portrayal of slavery as being as horrific as it really was without having some sympathetic white plantation owner save the day, was a good one and could have been successful. But that the film itself panned and was not particularly well done in a way that gained their attention. One review commented that it still romanticized slavery.

Being that these are all second hand accounts I've heard floating around, I take them with a grain of salt and will have to keep my personal opinion neutral without actually having seen it myself and only knowing anything about it through second hand commentary.

That said, I agree with you .From what I am aware of the film IS graphic and I do not want to see that acted out on screen.

Certain acts of violence just hit my limit.Things that deal with graphic depictions of child abuse, sexual assault, and now this film.

It isn't that I don't think these kinds of material are bad, they just contain things I do not want to see.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #62586
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
But that the film itself panned and was not particularly well done in a way that gained their attention. One review commented that it still romanticized slavery.
Actually, overall, it has gotten good reviews. Though it did piss off Spike Lee - who apparently has not even seen it! XD But, yeah, I'm not going to see it so, unlike Mr. Lee, I can't critique it one way or the other.
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #62587
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Actually, overall, it has gotten good reviews. Though it did piss off Spike Lee - who apparently has not even seen it! XD But, yeah, I'm not going to see it so, unlike Mr. Lee, I can't critique it one way or the other.
Man this movie is just getting reviews all over the board isn't it?

I am not sure if some reviews are bad just because it isn't an historically accurate slavery film or if some are good because people want to rebel against the bad reviews.

WHATEVS MAN.

We can all go back to talking about how awesome my cat is.

Or what everyone's favorite Disney cartoon is.

Anyone want to start?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #62588
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Spike Lee has hated Mr. Tarantino since Pulp Fiction, but then again his view on racism is shit and he doesn't do very good movies.

I also assume he hates Morgan Freeman because he's REASONABLE.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #62589
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
Spike Lee has hated Mr. Tarantino since Pulp Fiction, but then again his view on racism is shit and he doesn't do very good movies.

Yeah, Spike Lee generally manages to make an ass out of himself. I don't see pissing him off as a bad thing. I did like Do the Right Thing and Clockers.
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #62590
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I was watching a cooking video on Youtube of a Japanese user named 'runnyrunny999' cooking a traditional breakfast.

The entire comment section is people from America talking about how eating raw egg is bad, Europeans saying how Americans have the most unhealthy foods in the entire world and shouldn't be talking about 'unhealthy food' because we're all fat, and then people saying we have a world-wide 'obesity epidemic' because of fast food.

On a video about stir frying salmon and eating natto for breakfast.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #62591
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
The magic of baking science.
I immediately thought of that one Magic School Bus book where they got baked into a cake.
Man, I love Magic School Bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
I feel like my school must start late... I don't go back until the 23rd. Gf's sister is already back at law school.
My brother starts the 22nd. And I'd love a break.......wanna trade?

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #62592
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
It was also hilarious seeing Jonah Hill as a KKK member.
.....man I really need to see Django like yesterday.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, Spike Lee generally manages to make an ass out of himself. I don't see pissing him off as a bad thing. I did like Do the Right Thing and Clockers.
Tarantino pissed off Lee, who in returned pissed off Sam Jackson. Who then trolled the hell out of Lee. I don't mind Lee per say, but I agree w/ the general making an ass out of himself. Much like Tumblr, I can't tell when he's legit upset, or upset because he wants attention some times.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #62593
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I have no knowledge about this Spike Lee business.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #62594
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...unchained.html

I think this article may be relevant to your interests.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #62595
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Generic bathroom photo Emmers says, this is how the dye (and self done hair cut) turned out:

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○