Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Morpher
The Archy Morpher

Painting this (type of) umbrella

(Not sure if I posted this in the right section or not and I apologies in advanced if I did).

Here's the type of umbrella I'm talking about:

Click here to see.

I'm going to use for my Juvia Lockser cosplay. I had the idea of spray painting it, but I'm not sure what type of spray paint I should use for it and if it would would work. Also because of the details on the umbrella such as the hearts I didn't want to spray paint them on and wanted to hand paint them on myself.
--

Overall, I would really just like to know what type of paint will work on this umbrella.

Many thanks in return!
Juvia Lockser - (Fairy Tail) - Planned

Future Cosplay(s)
Leviathan - (FF9)
Hopeless Estheim - (Original Character)
Daniella - Haunting Ground

Last edited by Morpher : 01-07-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Morpher is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

u need paints made for plastic and pvc.... i believe krylon has some spray paints for the base coat and then after that potentially another plastic paintable paint (martha stewart has some i know for sure. tho u could try acrylic and see if it works)
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
Noose

I would personally go for Createx airbrush paint on this one. Their acrylic mediums can adhere to practically anything. This one specifically can adhere to latex, and other forms of plastic and fabric, and is meant to be flexible. It is also made of automotive grade pigments so it doesn't fade from exposure to the sun, which may be useful for a parasol (assuming you're not going for fluorescent paint, which does fade).

Your parasol is made of PVC, which has a similar exterior fabric as latex. You can e-mail those friendly createx folks to ensure the paint will work on it, I'm sure they'll simply affirm that it will.

To achieve the base umbrella colour you'll need to purchase a 5602 Opaque Base to mix with deeper pinks to achieve the pastel. It is also up to you, since you're using a transparent canvas, something I have no experience with, as to whether you'll need to paint it white before applying the pinks. It also appears that to need to seal the paint with 5604 Gloss Top Coat. This will protect the paint finish from damage and actually make it so that your umbrella is functional! As for the darker coloured hearts, I believe you could paint this createx paint manually, without an airbrush, but then the brushstrokes will be very obvious. Another option is to produce a stencil out of a semi-flexible plastic or stiff fabric and airbrush the darker pattern on.
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
miss-ferrous
That one girl

They sell vinyl spray paint, and it's supposed to be pretty good. It's cheap too.
miss-ferrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Morpher
The Archy Morpher

Well, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Though I'm gonna think about how to go about on this a little bit more before I make a decision. Again, thank you all for your input. It is much appreciative.
Juvia Lockser - (Fairy Tail) - Planned

Future Cosplay(s)
Leviathan - (FF9)
Hopeless Estheim - (Original Character)
Daniella - Haunting Ground
Morpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Penlowe

In this case, you need to get extra material for practice & testing.
If you go to a traditional fabric store (Hancock, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby), look for the table cloth vinyl section, they usually have clear sheet vinyl very much like what was used in the umbrella you are going to use, get 1/2 a yard for testing on.