Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
benihime
Kimono Queen

Help on intros

Hey guys - i've always struggled with intros, or how you should be introduced on stage, especially if you're not a skit.

Any suggestions for how they should be worded, what should be included and how you should end it?

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Midnight Dawn

Are you just doing a walk on or something?
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
benihime
Kimono Queen

I am yes. I actually figured something out, but I figured this discussion would be good for anyone else like me, who has trouble writing intros.

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

Unread 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm interested in this thread. I'm doing a solo walk-on as Quorra from Tron: Legacy, and I'm kind of stumped as to what to have the emcee say for an intro.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Things you don't want to do: don't launch into a long description of how you made the costume. Don't give the character's entire backstory, even if it's something obscure. You usually want the intro to be a teaser - don't give out TOO much information and don't make it too long. After all, you don't want the emcee droning on for 30 seconds while the stage is dark and there is no sign of you in your pretty costume.

If your walk-on is going to have music and/or involve a lot of choreographed walking and miming, in effect you're actually doing things and not just walk, pose, leave, then your intro definitely should stay short and to the point - a very basic set-up, just to give the audience an idea of where your character is and what they're doing. If you're not extending the walking/posing or not having music or anything else, the emcee is going to have to carry the burden of explaining you and your character/costume. It doesn't have to be a huge story and it doesn't even have to be something pertaining to the actual story of their canon. Sometimes, you don't even want to say what the character is from at the beginning - it does somewhat break the fourth wall and make it clear to the audience that you're just a person in a costume from such and such. If you're going to perform for 20 seconds, you want them to buy you are that character for those 20 seconds, and save the "...from X source" for after you leave stage.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
tereshkova2001

The last two entries I did were both royalty, so I had the MC announce the character as though they were being presented at court. They just said "Her Excellency Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo" or "Prince Zuko of the Fire Nation". I have them do the "designed, constructed, and worn by tereshkova2001" after I'm done presenting. As CapsuleCorp said, I want them to buy me as the character and only think about the costumer after the fact.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Amanita

^Pretty much that. I really hate intros that are solely "Here's so and so dressed up as so and so"
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Merino
Magical Girl

If you were to give a skit I usually want the intro to set up the action. If your skit takes place after a major event you would want to briefly state what has happened. You want to make sure your skit makes sense to everyone, not just those who have seen the series.

I agree with everyone else for the walk on style.
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
benihime
Kimono Queen

very good points guys! thanks!

I know for the intro I finally put together, since the manga is not well know, I made sure to put the mangaka (CLAMP) and give a tiny bit about her character.

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR