Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 01-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
HappySmash

Need a red makeup that WILL NOT be sweated off?

Hey there! I'm going to be doing a (male)Scanty and (female)Kneesocks cosplay this summer. I looked through a few threads in regards to makeup but couldn't really find what information I was looking for.

My Scanty has hyperhydrosis (meaning he sweats A LOT, very easily), so I need some kind of makeup that won't come off.

I heard about PAX and I am considering it although I also heard it was very hard to get off, which won't do because I plan to do several other cosplays that weekend and can't be red for them.
I also heard about alcohol activated makeup, but my preliminary search for it online did not yield much information on this item, let alone any product in plain red.
HappySmash is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

My fix for PAX (which, yes, is very hard to get off) is mixing glue (I use tacky glue) with water and acrylic paint. You can't use it on your face, evidently, but this stuff works pretty good. If you need red face paint as well (I don't know these characters your talking about), then I recommend using red powder face paint and using a sealing spray afterwards.

If you're still worried about your friend getting sweaty, carry around some cheap hairspray with you. Hairspray will absorb the moisture and keep it from getting sticky/sliding off.
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
HappySmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTigerLilies View Post
My fix for PAX (which, yes, is very hard to get off) is mixing glue (I use tacky glue) with water and acrylic paint. You can't use it on your face, evidently, but this stuff works pretty good. If you need red face paint as well (I don't know these characters your talking about), then I recommend using red powder face paint and using a sealing spray afterwards.

If you're still worried about your friend getting sweaty, carry around some cheap hairspray with you. Hairspray will absorb the moisture and keep it from getting sticky/sliding off.
Do you have a brand of powder paint I could look up? Just a search for "powder face paint" gives me sealing powders, haha.
HappySmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySmash View Post
Do you have a brand of powder paint I could look up? Just a search for "powder face paint" gives me sealing powders, haha.
Well, I bought the Ben Nye magicake makeup from a local store, but I'm nearly 100% sure that it's online
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Tigersoul

Another option is Liquid Latex, which has the benefits of PAX along with easy removal (just make sure the areas you apply it to are hair-free) though I would stress caution of a well-ventilated area since LL does contain ammonia and it's NOT advisable to use it around the eyes.

Also, not familiar with the character but if you need to cover a large area you might look into a zentai suit (or a spandex top/bottom depending on the area visible), it's a lot faster and easier to apply/remove than bodypaint and it wont rub off. (Also there's no worry about blotchyness)

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Rirukuo

I cosplayed Kneesocks last summer, and it was very hot, so I was unsure about the body paint too. I ended up sewing a body suit and just using body paint for the face and cleavage, and it worked really well! I used a shiny type of fabric, because it liked the wet-look it gave, and I thought it suited Kneesocks, but you could also go for a matte type of fabric. Here is a picture of the costume, so you get what it looks like. I used Kryolan grease paint for the face and chest. It's very high maintenance if you don't have a good setting powder and spray, but if you have setting powder and spray it's amazing! And it gave me that wet-look of the body suit that water based bodypaint doesn't give. And the grease paint doesn't sweat of, at least not when I used it.
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Sweet Loretta

What do you want to know about alcohol activated makeup? I be happy to share. You can get the makeup in cake to activate with alcohol or get it in liquid to paint it on. Of course for some there is the option of airbrushing it on (better than PAX less hassle but of course you have to invest in a system!).

As for cake makeup you can do moist cake like Wolfe Hydrocolor or Mehron Paradise (or Ben Nye) or dry cake like Mehron Starblend that can be used as powder or wetted for use if desired.

If you go with Alcohol Activate Makeup you won't need to fix the makeup with a fixing spray. It is recommended with the moist cake body paint makeups. And setting powders are not use with alcohol activated makeup, moist or dry cakes.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote