Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Mikonomeian

Females cosplaying as males

When cosplaying as a male character..(if you do) do you bind your chest to look the part or don't bind at all? I'm going as a male character but I'm not sure where to get a good chest binder..any suggestions?
Mikonomeian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Levinanth
Pokťmon Master

I'd say to wear a sports bra first, before you try to bind anything. Depending on how big your boobs are, I'd say then bind accordingly. I normally just use bandages, cause I'm super cheap, haha.
Levinanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
violetlights
Pokemon Master

The two times that I've crossplayed, I just layered like, three sports bras and a tank top, it worked pretty well for me. (This is coming from a girl with relatively small boobs, so it may not work for ladies with larger chests. If you plan on crossplaying often, I would suggest investing in a good binder. [my friend bought hers from t-kingdom.com, and she likes it a lot])
violetlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Libis

I use a tritop binder (made for men but works well for boob-flattening) from underworks.

http://www.underworks.com/987.html
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Asezuna

Ha. Only done crossplay with chestbinding once before, (sports bra, corset like thing AND binding) but I failed miserably. I looked like the character - but still like a female version from an alternate universe. It was uncomfortable, so any time I make a crossplay in the future, I won't bother to bind, but simply go as she-insertrandomcharacternamehere. xD
".... Not much of a threat, considering we're already in Hel."
Asezuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

Typically, I'll just wear a sports bra (as the ace bandage method will suffocate me), and I don't really go out of my way to flatten myself out, especially since I don't attend any big cons where I think it's a very important aspect. I don't do the fem! versions of said characters, but to be honest, I don't think it affects my costumes all that much, especially since a lot of them are baggy in the chest area or involve a lot of layers that just sort of looks like, well, a lot of layers of clothes. So, frankly, I don't see it as a huge thing if you go as a male character and don't bind.
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
SugarDust

I bind, especially as my hips are wide so I need to make myself look as masculine as possible. If you don't have large breasts or don't cosplay guys regularly (I've only cosplayed one proper male (have done a few androgynous but that doesn't matter)) then sports bras will work best. I use 1 sports bra (not the two cup type) and then another one I've had since I was 12 (it was so tiny it got lost in my drawer xD only to be found 3 years later). But I'd recommend binding if you want to make the cosplay look accurate
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
Hindari
Moop

I use Underworks too, just a different top. They're really comfy and worth the buy. If you're not that big though, the sport bras are probably best.
http://www.underworks.com/996.html
Hindari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
thelovelysin
Informant

If it's not a genderbend, I'd say binding would be better, after all, most male characters don't have boobs! What I do to bind my breast is wear a sports bra 1-2 sizes smaller than what you'd usually wear and wrap one of those "weightloss" waist trimmers over my chest. This method works really well for me, I'm a D cup and doing it this way can get me almost as flat as a board. It's inexpensive and pretty safe since the the waist trimmer is strapped on with Velcro, so if it gets uncomfortable or hard to breath you can easily take it off.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Joybug

I would say it depends on your chest size. Mine was small (I say 'was' because I don't have my girls anymore due to cancer) so I didn't need to worry because without a bra they pretty much disappeared on their own. ^^; but I do know people who have bound theirs using tenser bandages (which can be hard to breathe in and painful if your chest is large, depending on how tight you wrap them), or sports bras. Its really up to what makes you comfortable. I would say try the sports bra first.
Joybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #12
momomilk

I've crossplayed quite a few characters. I'm not that big chested so I usually wear a sports bra. The characters I've done typically don't wear tight clothes, but more "fitted." But yet, it's a little loose around the chest so that it appears flat. Like, I'd say wearing a Kimono/Yukata doesn't require heavy binding. The other time I actually somewhat binded was for an open-chest cosplay. I wore a sports bra and binded it with ace bandages (not too tight but good enough that it was flat) before wearing a skin colored shirt on top. And it turned out fine.

But of course! As others have it, it depends on your breast size. Best to go with a sports bra and then work your way around it! It would also depend on the character.
momomilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #13
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I hadn't tried binding yet as the few crossplays I did, the guys were either androgynous or feminine and hard to tell with the outfits. This time it is going to be really noticeable that I am cosplaying as a male, so I am thinking of investing in a binder/chest compression shirt as I do kind of have big boobs and hips and ace bandages I heard isn't really the safest way to bind. I wear sports bras all the time for dance, etc...it really doesn't do much for me.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

sports bra for me. depending on the character and how many layers i'm wearing, i sometimes wear two. i have used an open-shirt tape method and had some luck, but my skin wasn't very happy so i don't do that often

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
MissJava
Still broke. D:

I'm a c-cup and I use a compression top like the ones Hindari and Libis recommended; works amazingly!! After struggling with ace-bandaging and sports bras etc etc, this is the most comfortable and most effective that I've found, personally.

Also, keep in mind to pad your waist. One of the biggest differences between men and women is that curve between your hips and your chest.

One last thing to note, even if your character doesn't have facial hair, put a liiight bluish-green tint on your jawline ( unless you're a blonde man, then just play it accordingly ). They still grow hair, but they keep it shaved. But you would still be able to see a hint of where it is, if you know what I mean. If you want stubble, Vaseline and coffee grounds over the blue-green as stubble works strange wonders and it stays on for hours so long as you don't play with it. Just experiment and see what works best with your face and your character.

Just keep in mind the key notes of being a grown man;
• thick eyebrows
• no curves
• posture ( which is easier since you can base it off of your character )
• traces of facial hair

There's always exceptions to the rules, like I said, play by what character you're reenacting and practice practice practice!!
MissJava is offline   Reply With Quote