Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 01-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha

Battle Damage Kurama

Well, if I manage to get my passport, I'm planning on going to Sakura-Con... With that I would REALLY like to pull out my Kurama cosplay again, after all it's been a few years since I've worn it. However, I figure now would be as good a time as any to seek come critique on it to see if there is anything at all I could improve on it from now until the end of March...
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/161621/

These are the best reference images I could find, for those who don't know the character or the battle:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...rama/yu38j.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ama/Bloody.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...aps/ycap54.png

They're not the greatest links, but the best I could find. Essentially what I went for was "mid-battle" damage... I'm convinced if I had done the full extent of the damage he took after his fight with the two enemies he took on, that cosplay might not have stayed on me so well... it already liked to fall off in certain areas. It also ate red fabric paint like crazy, but I'll let you all be the judges now.

Unread 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Rurouni-Idoru

Greetings from a Hiei cosplayer~

I feel like this is a good start, but I might darken the blood up a bit, especially given your wig. Blood isn't really the same apple-red as your paint it unless it's really, really fresh, and Kurama just bleeds out too much for that to all be fresh. (Especially because it's just not a high stakes Kurama fight unless we're worried he's dead of bloodloss from minute two.) In addition, your wig is a much more "natural" red than his is in the show, which I like and I think it looks good on you, but it makes the blood stains fairly scream "Red Paint" because of how much purer the color is in comparison. I'd go for a maroon-ish or something; a red with a bit of brown in it. And as long as you're adding more (assuming you take my advice, of course), I'd experiment a bit with methods of application; maybe try splatter painting or something. It looks a little too perfectly placed as-is, I think.

Those shoes are perfect though, let me commend you on that. (I've been sort of appointed de-facto leader of an in-progress YYH cosplay group and I cannot for the life of me find those shoes for the three characters who need them in a way that looks screen accurate.)
Rurouni-Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha

Ah, good point. I might leave some of the blood patches on the "fresh" side, but the idea to darken up most of them is a very good one. I'd assume mixing fabric paint is much like mixing acrylic, but I'll double check with a friend of mine who's a seamstress before I do anything crazy. I wouldn't have thought of the splatter painting idea at all, but now that I reflect back on his battle it's a good idea because in most of the shots it does look like that blood should be splattered on there a little more. I'm pretty sure part of the reason I didn't do it back in 2006 (if I ever wanted to) is because I was adding the battle damage the night before the convention and I was at my mother's condo (she has white carpet and walls, the risk of staining something, even with newspaper laid down was HIGH). I'm home this time around so I can lay out all the newspaper I want on the kitchen floor get my dad out of the way for a bit and have at her. Your reminder is greatly appreciated though because I'd have pranced on with out it otherwise.
Heh, the shoes I lucked out on. There's a little oriental gift shop near my university. They sell those by the dozen. If a pair wears out I can just go back and pick up a new set.