Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #5071
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
ill keep this as short as i can.
when there is as girl/woman who has a problem and a guy says his input on it and even though he might not be right most of the time. the point is that depending on how serious the problem is if its not what they want to hear its the worst thing in the world they will treat him like an animal. im getting sick of this one sided "girls problems matter and guys problems are non existent and are not relevant" there is no empathy for guys problems its just "ok that's sad now shut up and get over it"

maybe im just lacking friends but im just getting sick of people treating me bad and i have to fight them off on my own while they have 3 or more people on their side. im finding it hard to maintain a good personality with this happening. a while back i was shy and depressed and now i worked most of that away and am more confident than i used to be. im just finding it hard the right way to act when every try at something good gets allot of bad attention. i just don't want to blend into the background while everyone is having fun with friends im not getting any younger.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't get past the second sentence due to the lack of punctuation marks and starting each sentence with a capitalized letter. I'm not being a grammar Nazi (nor am I calling you stupid in case you might think so) and pointing out spelling errors and what not (because we all make mistakes)...I just think that you'd be able to get better feedback and readers by capitalizing your I's and using an apostrophe in the word "I'm" and things like that (It's all just my opinion and preference is all so this can very well be ignored).

On a side note, it really does bother me when people use text/internet lingo in "normal" writing ...situations. I've read full college papers where people have used "u" instead of "you" or "bcuz" instead of "because" @_@. Seriously.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #5072
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

This is cosplay-related -- don't know if that's what this is for or not, but I'm gonna rant and possibly attempt to keep it short.
Why is race such an affair in cosplay? If you're white and cosplay a black character, GREAT. If you're black and cosplay a white character, GREAT. No problem, right? Why is it that, if you're -insert race- and decide to use body paint accordingly for the purpose of looking like your character, you're harassed? People are allowed their own opinions, of course, and those that you don't agree with for whatever reason are NOT fair game for your bitching. In what way, I wonder, is it racist that, if you're a white girl, and you cosplay Katara from A:TLA and you decide to use dark makeup, so you can look like her? Um, excuse me, but if I'm not mistaken, the point of cosplay is to look like the character. Am I really offending you by sticking to the character's actual features?
I don't cosplay Katara, but a friend of mine does, and she's a relatively pale white girl, and she decided that, unlike last year, she wanted to try out doing Katara's skin colour, and she asked me to help her out because she didn't really know how to do it. So, I helped her out, and then a while later, we're talking to these other cosplayers, and we were all talking about how cosplay makeup (in general) just takes so long. I comment that I hate doing all the green makeup for Miss Martian, and she comments that the darker skin makeup for Katara is kind of a pain, too, since it takes so long, and one of the other cosplayers starts going off on her and calling her racist although they were all, "Ooh, a Katara cosplayer!" before.
How the hell is that racist? I'm sorry, but I don't recall her saying anything bad about any given skin colour; only that the actual process of painting herself up for the costume is a hassle. She was upset with this, and it occured to me; we were just talking about body paint and I mentioned how I have to use all the green to look like Miss Martian. So, let me get this straight. It's racist if she tries to look like her Eskimo character by using tan body paint, but it's just a regular thing that I'm using green body paint to look like my martian character. Sure, martians aren't real. But what the hell is the difference in this matter?
YOUR costume gives you the right to choose what to do in that matter. If you're white and cosplay Katara, rock on. If you're black and cosplay Katara, no problem. If you're Asian and cosplay Katara, great. But god forbid you do exactly what cosplayers are SUPPOSED to do just so you can look like your character.
PEOPLE.
I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous to me.

(Short attempt failed.)
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #5073
Reily96
Ambitious to a Fault

This... is awesome. Because there are sometimes when I just need to blow off steam, but I don't really want to tell my parents or more real life friends.

So let me begin with an explosion of rage towards my most unpleasant female relation of whom I share a parent with. I refuse to use the more common term of "sister" because I can easily say I hate this woman. And in my lifetime, I have ever only hated one other person besides her. Is that horrible to say? Yes, but I've come to accept it. Needless to say, most of my rants will be about her.

So the other day, my niece is over because my niece is always over on the weekends. Her mother doesn't seem to think she should be a responsible adult and take care of her own child, so while the niece's mom is at our homestead, she's on the computer, completing ignoring her child and leaving my niece to the care of me and my mother. We're all baking bread, and my niece goes to get the step ladder so she can get up to the counter. Something happened with the stepladder and my niece's fingers were squeezed and she was crying and hurt. Her mother then decides to get mother wolf and swoops her away saying to get some ice. I hesitate. I hesitate because the last time such a thing happened, I was yelled at and called an idiot, loser, and stupid because I apparently did it wrong. I wanted to make sure I did it right, so I got the ice and go to wear my niece and her mother are, overhearing her mother passive aggressively say, "If your aunt would just hurry up." After hearing that, I relatively calmly explain that I wanted to make sure I did everything right, because I somehow always manage to get things wrong. To which my niece's mother snatches the ice away and says, "Oh, so when your bird squawks, you run right to him, but when your niece starts crying you take your damned time. Yeah, you do do everything wrong! Don't even say anything because I don't want to hear it!"

I wanted to explode. I do everything wrong? Says the woman who dumps her child on my mother and I without giving us a say in the matter. Says the woman who only spends three days a week with her child and then drops her off with us as soon as she possibly can. Says the woman who had a child for all the wrong reasons in the first place! And when she does spend time with her kid, she spends 75% of sleeping and leaving the kid that tiny three room efficiency they live in to watch TV or play alone by herself. Says the woman who takes four hour naps in our house, when I'm dead tired taking care of her kid and will take a break for about 20 minutes before coming out to resume babysitting duties. I actuall play with her little girl - I play Dragon and Knight, make believe, I watch the silly kiddy shows with her, I play tag, I put her in time out when she misbehaves, I make her food, I make her chocolate milk - I am more of a mother to her own child than she is and she dares tell me that I do everything wrong?

... Suffice it to say, when I told my parents later, they even told me I should've told her to go procreate with herself. -w-

I dislike dealing with this woman.

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #5074
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTigerLilies View Post
Stuff and nonsense.
You simply cannot be serious. Go reread the thread you made in which it was frequently and thoroughly explained to you why your viewpoint might be wrong.

Also:

1. Opinions are not unassailable. Not yours, not mine.
2. Don't keep writing "I'm sorry" when you're anything but. It's insincere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #5075
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I usually have great luck with clothes from Old Navy. However, they don't carry plus sizes in the store, only online. It's annoying but not a super inconvience. I got a sweater for Christmas that doesn't fit right, I'm too short for it. Now to send it back I have print out the return label, find a box, pack the sweater back into the box, and drive to the UPS store.

The movie theater I'm going to later has an Old Navy a two minute walk thru the mall away. But I can't return to the store. Because god forbid you wear a size 20 and want to shop where people shop. That simply cannot be.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #5076
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Why is race such an affair in cosplay? etc etc etc.
Here's the short version of an answer: because cosplay does not exist in a vaccuum.

Cosplay exists in the real world, and in the real world, you have to deal with history and racism and people's feelings. You can be green because real martians have not spent a large chunk of history being discriminated against by humans. Real people of colour have been by whites. You can't treat someone's race as a costume to put on for fun and think that no one will have a problem with that. Like Sam said, go re-read the responses to your other thread.
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #5077
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
Here's the short version of an answer: because cosplay does not exist in a vaccuum.

Cosplay exists in the real world, and in the real world, you have to deal with history and racism and people's feelings. You can be green because real martians have not spent a large chunk of history being discriminated against by humans. Real people of colour have been by whites. You can't treat someone's race as a costume to put on for fun and think that no one will have a problem with that. Like Sam said, go re-read the responses to your other thread.
In B4 "They should be honored I'm making myself up to be their color".

Which is SUPER RACIST btw.

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #5078
OtakuSpark
TO THE MOON!

Quote:
snip!
Uh.. Didn't we already go through this with you? :/ I agree with Sam.
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #5079
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
You simply cannot be serious. Go reread the thread you made in which it was frequently and thoroughly explained to you why your viewpoint might be wrong.

Also:

White girl opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
I usually have great luck with clothes from Old Navy. However, they don't carry plus sizes in the store, only online. It's annoying but not a super inconvience. I got a sweater for Christmas that doesn't fit right, I'm too short for it. Now to send it back I have print out the return label, find a box, pack the sweater back into the box, and drive to the UPS store.

The movie theater I'm going to later has an Old Navy a two minute walk thru the mall away. But I can't return to the store. Because god forbid you wear a size 20 and want to shop where people shop. That simply cannot be.

Pretty much at any major retailer they go to around a size 16 to a size 20.

Now, the average American woman wears a size 16, so offering only a 16, 18, and up to 20 is giving the average sized woman three options.

At the same retailers I can easily find sizes 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and maybe some 14's. So the majority women get three sizes and everyone else gets 5-6.

They can carry extra smaller sizes but extra larger sizes is too hard? Statistically, you are more likely to have more women that are a size 24 then are a size 4.

But instead they have to go online, missing out on any in-store 1 day only sales going on-which Old Navy often does, hope that the size they get will fit them, probably pay extra for 'extended sizes' (but women who are size 4's don't pay less for 'condensed sizes'?), pay extra for the cost of shipping, and get to wait 7-10 days or more to receive their clothing that may or may not fit correctly because online sizing is shit.

Ain't no excuse for that bullcrap.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #5080
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post

Also:

Can't keep quoting you enough...
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
Cosplay FB- BlondieSundae Cosplay
Cosplay Tumblr- The Cosplay Compendium
Fun Tumblr-C'est La Vie
My twitter- Tweettweet~
My dA- SkullsAndStripes
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #5081
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Eskimo
As you continue your journey into diversity awareness and sensitivity, please be advised that that word is considered very, very racist and derogatory in some parts of the world. Canadian Inuit people, for example, consider it a serious insult on par with the "n" word. In Alaska and other areas it does not have the same negative connotation, but you should know that there are many Inuit people (and non-Inuit people) who have strong feelings about the use of that word.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #5082
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
White girl opinions.

Pretty much at any major retailer they go to around a size 16 to a size 20.

Now, the average American woman wears a size 16, so offering only a 16, 18, and up to 20 is giving the average sized woman three options.

At the same retailers I can easily find sizes 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and maybe some 14's. So the majority women get three sizes and everyone else gets 5-6.

They can carry extra smaller sizes but extra larger sizes is too hard? Statistically, you are more likely to have more women that are a size 24 then are a size 4.

But instead they have to go online, missing out on any in-store 1 day only sales going on-which Old Navy often does, hope that the size they get will fit them, probably pay extra for 'extended sizes' (but women who are size 4's don't pay less for 'condensed sizes'?), pay extra for the cost of shipping, and get to wait 7-10 days or more to receive their clothing that may or may not fit correctly because online sizing is shit.

Ain't no excuse for that bullcrap.
I love you Emmers.

I love Old Navy's clothes. I live in their short sleeved shirts, tank tops and sundresses all summer. I'm wearing an old navy shirt I've had for years as I type this. (Making myself pretty for my date tonight). And I'm pretty consistent in my sizing there - 2x tops, sometime 3x, depending on the bust, 20-22 bottoms. So I rarely have returns. But this is just ANNOYING. And it turns out we just missed their 45 day return, so we may not be able to return it.
My mom is going to call.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #5083
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

-sinp-

Last edited by kuroki-neko : 01-10-2013 at 02:06 PM.
kuroki-neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #5084
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
I think the only time when race becomes a problem is when the person is disrespecting the character.
I don't usually think you're trolling, but by God, you must seriously be trolling here. It's okay to disrespect the feelings and opinions of live, actual, real people, but it's a problem when it's disrespectful to a character? Think about that for a minute, will you?
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #5085
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I don't usually think you're trolling, but by God, you must seriously be trolling here. It's okay to disrespect the feelings and opinions of live, actual, real people, but it's a problem when it's disrespectful to a character? Think about that for a minute, will you?
ill keep in mind to not post in the future