Hello everyone, my name is Ashley, and my online handle is seerofsarcasm (I made this before I started using that). I run Homestuck meetups around the state, and many of you may have remembered last year's fiasco that led to a large Homestuck cosplay parade through the convention center.
You may also have noticed that if you were in a large cosplay group, or even a cosplayer in general, you were herded around and treated differently last year, especially in being kept from some staple spots like Hall C for photoshoots.
Well to avoid last year's problems for the HS shoots (which i'm running again this year) I called early and there's some things you NEED TO KNOW if you're going to run any sort of a large gathering or photoshoot.
For reference, I am copy/pasting from my tumblr post here
where this is all written out as well.
VIRTUALLY NO LARGE PHOTOSHOOTS WILL BE ABLE TO BE HELD INDOORS.
Before I say anything else, just know that the woman I talked to was very nice and accommodating, and just remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. That being said, hereís the bullet points of what is going on for large photoshoots:
- Megacon doesnít want people who arenít paying for a dealers/exhibitionist spot making money off their attendees. They did not actually know that fandom photoshoots are free before I told them. Expect to be asked about that.
- Megacon staff and Orange County Convention Center ARE TWO DIFFERENT GROUPS. What Megacon may shrug and say whatever at, OCCC may make you stop. This also goes the other way.
- Itís the staff of the Orange County Convention Center that will get on you about fire codes and break up your photoshoot, and Megacon canít do anything about that.
- HALL C IS OFF LIMITS.
- To explain the above, Hall C has been a place where photoshoots would happen for years. BUT MEGACON HAS NOT RENTED THAT SPACE. OTHER CONVENTIONS HAVE. If you are from Megacon and in that space you can be asked to leave. That being said, no large photoshoots can happen there.
- Basically anywhere indoors is going to give you problems and youíll be broken up.
- THAT BEING SAID, THERE IS A SPOT THAT IS OKAY.
Past Megacon attendees will know what iím talking about. Outside of Hall C there is a large grassy area in the middle of a driveway. Itís large, and can accommodate a lot of people.
Enjoy my shitty graphic.
Right now I have a very nice woman from Megacon finding out if OCCC security will give us any trouble there. Even though she wonít get back to me for a few days, I doubt that there will be any trouble.
SO IF YOU ARE RUNNING ANY LARGE FANDOM EVENT, BE AWARE OF THESE THINGS. Smaller ones (<100) I donít think youíll have too much of a problem, but yeah. I know a lot of people bank on Hall C for their events and last year, even small gatherings were booted out. Times are a-changin.
AND FOR REFERENCE, THE HOMESTUCK PHOTOSHOOTS ARE TIMED AS FOLLOWS:
- Friday at 3:14
- Saturday at 3:14
- Sunday at 12:00
I suppose this thread could be used for people to plan their shoots and times and whatnot, or just for information. I hope this can help people avoid being moved last minute with no where to really go.