Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
tsukeru

Fiona help!

I am going to be starting my Sailor Moon! Fiona costume soon. I am partially doing it this year due to that this year is Sailor Moon's 20th anniversary. I have a few questions before I start this costume.

1. What pattern would you recommend to use for a base pattern?
2. How do you go about making the gold chest circles?
3. Suggestions on a good wig? Would you go with blond or yellow?
4. How would you go about making the bow? Would you tie it on each time you wear the costume? Would you use actual ribbon for it? Or make it detachable?
5. Where can I find comfortable mary janes? I've tried two sources online last year, and the shoes gave me blisters within minutes of wearing them.

I am hoping to have her complete in April, so any suggestions/tips would be appreciated and helpful! Thanks in advance~

Adventure on, adventures!

Last edited by tsukeru : 01-05-2013 at 07:29 PM.
tsukeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukeru View Post
I am going to be starting my Sailor Moon! Fiona costume soon. I am partially doing it this year due to that this year is Sailor Moon's 20th anniversary. I have a few questions before I start this costume.
4. How would you go about making the bow? Would you tie it on each time you wear the costume? Would you use actual ribbon for it? Or make it detachable?
5. Where can I find comfortable mary janes? I've tried two sources online last year, and the shoes gave me blisters within minutes of wearing them.

I am hoping to have her complete in April, so any suggestions/tips would be appreciated and helpful! Thanks in advance~

Adventure on, adventures!
1. Something with a bustle as opposed to a hoop. It's drawn very simply so your interpretation is pretty wide open.
2. Personally I'd applique gold lame', but again, wide open.
3. I'll let others answer that.
4. I'd use wired ribbon, sew or glue it permanently in place, and attach it to the dress with snaps.
5. are there no shoe stores where you live? I've never understood buying shoes on-line, for exactly the reason you illustrated.
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
tsukeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
1. Something with a bustle as opposed to a hoop. It's drawn very simply so your interpretation is pretty wide open.
2. Personally I'd applique gold lame', but again, wide open.
3. I'll let others answer that.
4. I'd use wired ribbon, sew or glue it permanently in place, and attach it to the dress with snaps.
5. are there no shoe stores where you live? I've never understood buying shoes on-line, for exactly the reason you illustrated.
4. I didn't even think of using wire ribbon. That is a great idea!
5. Every time I do go shopping for cosplay shoes (irl), I never seem to be able to find the style/color/size/price I need. It's sometimes easier for me to shop online for that reason.
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Penlowe

Well, my frame of reference is probably different, but the way I see it, I'd rather have to work on a pair of comfortable shoes to get them to look right, than buy shoes that look perfect without my having to do anything to them but hurt. I can tolerate clothes, even underwear, that doesn't fit properly, but not shoes. Of course I've worked a LOT of retail in my life, working on your feet will do that to you. Be good to your feet, because it sucks when they reach the point where they won't let you wear whatever you want any more.
Unread 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
o01101011
Just call me Digit

This patterns would work with puff sleeves, if you need a place to start.
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v872...hp?page_id=861
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
tsukeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
This patterns would work with puff sleeves, if you need a place to start.
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v872...hp?page_id=861
Ooh thank you! That pattern is nearly perfect (except for the sleeves). I'm sure I can managed to figure that part out with a little more research online.
Unread 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
KidXister

I once had a nice pair of Mary Janes, they were comfortable and lasted around ten years. In fact I just threw them away on Halloween, I went as Fionna. I think I got them at Ross or Famous Footwear.
Recently I was looking at bow tie tutorials maybe this will help, just make it big enough to fit around your waistline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyKRjXmyQc4

when i think of the shoe brand name I will let you know

Last edited by KidXister : 01-06-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added
KidXister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I use this as a guide when drafting up puff sleeves.
http://www.emilywinck.com/blog/costu...puffy-sleeves/

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Emrys

You will probably need a hoop skirt, or semi-hoop skirt for the cupcake shape. But I don't have a pattern since I just made it up as I went.

For the sleeves try adjusting a poof sleeve pattern like this: http://crafty-dame.livejournal.com/7449.html
(You may need to try a few test versions to practice and to see what shape you like.)

Pattern:
Measure your bust area (front, about armpit to armpit) with whatever bra you will be wearing. Divide length by 3 and then add a little bit - this is the diameter of the rings and the extra is b/c they overlap. Trace out your three rings on paper, adjust, and cut out for a template. Make one gold rings piece and one white dress fabric piece without the holes cut out to fill in the center of the rings (the outside edges of the gold and white should line up so you can tack them together).

Making:
I used yellow-gold satin fabric I already had along with fusible interfacing. From top to bottom: gold, interfacing, white fabric to fill holes, more interfacing. Tack or pin to the top of your dress.

Whatever you want to use. Personal preference.

I made the bow/sash one piece, detachable, with a line of velcro in the back because I was switching between full gown and ripped battle dress. Back view: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3336044/

Wire ribbon would be handy here. When I made mine, I recycled some organza/gauze fabric I already had and made the ribbons from scratch.

Gel cushioning inserts. Any kind of flats are painful if you aren't used to walking minimum support shoes.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
tsukeru

Thanks for all the tips thus far guys! My only other concern is:

Will I need a hoop skirt/crinoline? Or would I need a petticoat? Or what's the difference between both? And which would you recommend?
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Emrys

Hoop skirts (sometimes called crinoline) give a skirt a specific, defined shape. (There is a technical difference between hoop skirts and crinoline that's more in how they are made but for the most part people use the terms interchangeably.)

A petticoat can be worn on top of a hoop skirt to put some padding in between the hoops and the top layer of the dress so it's not lumpy, or can be worn without a hoop skirt to give a little bit of fullness. Before hoop skirts, big dresses were filled out with multiple layers of petticoats. Bustles are sort of like shaped pillows and/or folded fabric that bump out the butt of a skirt, though there is some variety here in shape and make.
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukeru View Post
Will I need a hoop skirt/crinoline? Or would I need a petticoat? Or what's the difference between both? And which would you recommend?
A skirt made of thick, heavy fabric might not need a petticoat to hide hoop lines, but a thinner fabric would benefit from the petticoat as a buffer layer.

Hoop skirt, petticoat and bustle can each be worn individually under a skirt, or all three together, or some combination of two out of three. It varies by dress style, historical period and personal comfort levels. (Layers of petticoats can be stifling hot, so hoop skirts were an improvement, though bulky. *ventilation!*)
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Penlowe

To get that shape, you will need a bustle/ hoop combination.
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
KidXister

This might help your shoe problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...XJ8W5w9bo&NR=1
KidXister is offline   Reply With Quote