Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
why_00
Emileigh

Keeping pleather nice and non-wrinkled.

So I made a Freya costume (from chobits) a while ago out of black pleather. It looked good for a couple conventions, but after that it started to look pretty bad. It got really wrally wrinkled and crumpled looking. I was afraid to iron it until recently, and I guess there was good reason for that. Ironing the sewn pleather made the wrinkles 10x worse, however the excess unsewn pleather irons just fine...

I'm planning on making the costume again out of the same stuff since I still have a good 5 or 6 yards of the stuff. this time I think I'm going to put in boning on the corset part, so the worst of the wrinkles around the middle don't happen. However I was wondering how I could avoid potential wrinkles and what not in the future. Maybe there's a good way to store it that I don't know about, or maybe a good relaxer or something for pleather?

Can anyone help me with this?
why_00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Penlowe

well, how were you storing it? and did you press it correctly?

I hang everything I want to look nice. There are all kinds of specialty hangars for different types of garments.

Quote:
I think I'm going to put in boning on the corset part, so the worst of the wrinkles around the middle don't happen.
This will make a HUGE difference.
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
MaXiMotion

nonwrinkling pleather

"Pleather" can be PVC or polyurethane. Polyurethane is more leather-like and might get a bit of a "used" appearance like leather but most wrinkles will come out. PVC wrinkles might be more difficult. Have you checked sommers.com? They carry such a wide selection and everything is in stock with no minimum order on their website Shop.

Good luck
MaXiMotion is offline   Reply With Quote