Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Unread 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Shinigami_eyes

Need A finalized opinion

yello cosplay world
I am planning on cosplaying Katara for tora con come march and I had a couple ideas:
1. a parka dress
2. her kick butt water tribe usual outfit (which is her everyday)
3. her "southern riders" getup

what do you guys think? which one would be better in your own opinion?
Shinigami_eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
KatyCruel

Personally, I think either the parka or the every day outfit would be most recognizable, and as conspaces tend to be packed and rather warm, I have a feeling that you might just die in the parka. I would say her 'every day'.
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Asezuna

I'd say "southern raiders". From the other two, I've seen tons... Never that one.
".... Not much of a threat, considering we're already in Hel."
Asezuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Silver Ash
海女儿

I'm a fan of the parka or her everyday myself. I really like the parka idea as it's different from the usual majority of Katara cosplays, but like Katy said temperature might be an issue. Check what temperature it usually is at the con and pick your outfit accordingly ^^
Silver Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
shotzgoboom
Sasha

In response to the concern that the parka is too warm, my parka for my Yue costume is actually very comfortable, even in hot, packed cons. Indoors, it can be a liiiiitle toastier than something less covering, but it's really not that bad. Actually, at summer cons, when I'm outside, it keeps me really cool compared to less covering costumes, as it is loose and fully-covering, so it blocks me from the sun!

But I think it should come down to what katara you want to be: do you want to be katara right when she meets Aang, home in the south pole? Or Katara during the journey? Or during the southern raiders? What's your favorite episode/scene with her, and what does she wear in it? That could help you make a decision that you'll really like in the long run.

Something to be aware of with the southern raiders option: This will not be a super recognizable costume. Most likely, you will not get as much notice in it as you might get in one of her other costumes, because casual fans of the show will not catch the reference (if that is something that you you would factor into your decision, I don't know), but when people DO recognize you, they'll be 10x more excited, and they'll be people you know you'll be able to have a really good conversation about the show with.

Last edited by shotzgoboom : 01-11-2013 at 02:02 AM.
shotzgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote